Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Wait, but....

2fb5a06a071d111ab2d515832e2f54a6a57ca999244f8f549b31650351cd01c9.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I did not know this...

If tides really worked because of this, they would have some sort of effect on lakes and rivers. The fact that they do not affect either at all whatsoever even in the slightest bit proves that this is pretty much bullshit.

• 2Moron
  • 1Picard

Rime

<Donor>
If tides really worked because of this, they would have some sort of effect on lakes and rivers. The fact that they do not affect either at all whatsoever even in the slightest bit proves that this is pretty much bullshit.

What? They do. It is just that the majority of them are too small to be noticeable.

The Great Lakes absolutely have tides. Though, they are not as extreme as the ocean. (The 'average' tide there is around an inch.)

A body of water has to be truly massive for tidal flow to be noticeable.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I was so confused until I saw who posted this

• 5Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
What? They do. It is just that the majority of them are too small to be noticeable.

The Great Lakes absolutely have tides. Though, they are not as extreme as the ocean. (The 'average' tide there is around an inch.)

A body of water has to be truly massive for tidal flow to be noticeable.

Do the Great Lakes have high tide and low tide?

CLEVELAND, Ohio – With all-time record water levels on Lake Erie, you might hear someone talk about “high tide.” Here's the thing, though. Unlike the oceans, the Great Lakes don't have tides. ... Tides are really waves thousands of miles long, driven by the gravitational pull of the sun and moon, Dusek said.Jul 10, 2019

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
They have seichel waves, not true tides. So semantically, you are correct.

Yes and these happen EXTREMELY fast. Much much faster than tides in the oceans. They also don't occur all the time.

"What causes a seiche?

Storm surges may cause seiches. The word seiche is French for “to sway back and forth.” After a storm moves past the lake, and the wind and pressure are no longer pushing the water, the piled up water moves toward the opposite end of the lake."

Here's a comment from someone who's lived at Lake Superior for a long time.

"I haven't noticed tides on Lake Superior, and I lived right on the beach for a lot of my life. It's a huge body of water so I imagine they happen, but they're just so small that it's not noticeable. This seiche was a very odd sight, to say the least!"

So ya, lakes clearly do not have tides like the oceans which completely destroys the idea that it is caused by gravity. Otherwise, it would occur every day at the same time as the oceans.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I mean gravity is just a theory so he's got you guys.

What the fuck does this have to do with anything? Regardless of whether or not gravity exists, there is overwhelming evidence that it is not what affects tides and anyone with half a fucking brain can realize this. I guess the problem is you dumb fucks don't even have half a brain.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
What the fuck does this have to do with anything? Regardless of whether or not gravity exists, there is overwhelming evidence that it is not what affects tides and anyone with half a fucking brain can realize this. I guess the problem is you dumb fucks don't even have half a brain.

I'll bite Lumi. What causes tides?

giphy.gif

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
I'll bite Lumi. What causes tides?

Idk but it's not gravity. The whole theory is full of holes. Like why doesn't it affect any other bodies of water? Why would there be two high and low tides a day that actually occur over 24 hours and 50 minutes. How the fuck does that make any sense?

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Idk but it's not gravity. The whole theory is full of holes. Like why doesn't it affect any other bodies of water? Why would there be two high and low tides a day that actually occur over 24 hours and 50 minutes. How the fuck does that make any sense?
The moon moves as the earth turns. By the time 24 hours have gone by, the moon has moved and it takes the rest of that time for the earth's spin to bring things to the same alignment. You get a high tide under the moon (you can see it in the sky at that point) and another high tide when the moon is on the opposite side of the planet. Low tides are at the points between those.

Is Lumi a flat Earther and is that why he's being weird?

• 1Salty
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Worf

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Funny in AK they get a 30 foot tide change twice a day. Not unusal for someone not from there to drive out on the flats at low tide picking up clams or sightseeing and then come back and call the cops thier car was stolen, ooops covered up.

Also the bora tide is nice up the cook inlet. Tide coming in so fast it creates a wall a couple of feet tall as it hits the water flowing out. So it comes in and some people surf it.

Last edited:
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Thought the moon caused tides?

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Let's move past this.
Tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and, to a lesser extent, the sun on bodies of water. The earth's water bulges/moves toward and away from the moon(/sun), while it becomes shallower in areas perpendicular to the pull. Thus, there are two complete tide cycles per day.

Tides occur mainly in oceans because that is basically one huge body of water that is free to move all over the earth. Lakes and rivers do not cover enough area to have their water be moved significantly by gravity, or in other words, to have tides.
Answered by: Justin Clifford, High School Student, Alpine, Utah

One more time. Slightly slower for you.

All the seas and oceans around the world are connected. Water can freely flow between them. That’s the reason tide can occur on them.

On the other hand, lakes are isolated from one to another. Water cannot freely flow between them. That is the reason tide in meaningful amount cannot occur on lakes or any other bodies of water.

When a location on the sea has high tide, the volume of water increases and this additional volume is supplied from another area where a low tide occurs. In other words, water flows from locations having low tide to another having high tide.

In lakes, this cannot happen. Even though the Moon exerts the same amount of gravitational force, there’s no way the additional volume of water can be supplied to cause a high tide.

The same thing happens to other bodies of water., including rivers, ponds, pools, etc. Tide cannot occur because water cannot flow freely from or to another location having the opposing tide.

Tides do occur on lakes, but with a much smaller scale. The tides in the Great Lakes is less than 5 cm. Consequently, the Great Lakes are considered non-tidal.

Flat-Earthers often consider the lack of tides in lakes as “a failure of modern science to explain the nature” or something like that. In reality, there is no such problem. Science can sufficiently explain tides. It is just they don’t understand them.

Reference​

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like