Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sterling

El Presidente

I know im a cretin but it seems kind of silly to have a huge research lab running for a decade or whatever to confirm that shit wobbles. I wish the video talked more about how now they reduced the uncertainty around muons they were going to pursue new physics.
This is something that's been going on for the last couple of pages of this thread. It's not silly. Discovering new particles/forces is a really huge deal. discovering the electron wasn't very big at the time, but I'd say that's worked out pretty well. Potentially having to revamp the Standard Model is no small thing in the physics world.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This is something that's been going on for the last couple of pages of this thread. It's not silly. Discovering new particles/forces is a really huge deal. discovering the electron wasn't very big at the time, but I'd say that's worked out pretty well. Potentially having to revamp the Standard Model is no small thing in the physics world.
Yeah, this thread is why I looked it up and was disappointed this conversation and your reply here doesn't seem to match what happened.

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, this thread is why I looked it up and was disappointed this conversation and your reply here doesn't seem to match what happened.
The difference in predicted and actual spin of the muon g-2 is enough that they'll be doing another round of testing with better instrumentation and likely other labs will be looking at this as well. Or is your issue that we likely won't know all properties of this particle/force aside from it's impact on the spin on the muon g-2?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Saw how this worked out in a documentary before.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Purely natural, totally explicable... and absolutely cool. I present you the volcano with BLUE LAVA (not kidding):

(tl;dw spoiler: Too much sulfur makes flames burn blue)

• 8Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 8 users

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>

"This laser, which was reported in 2017, produced a power roughly 1,000 times larger than all the electrical power on Earth in a laser pulse that only lasts twenty quadrillionths of a second."

That's pretty amazing.

• 3Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Can one of these mad scientist experiments please just open a blackhole in a lab and wipe out all life on Earth and put us all out of our misery?

• 1Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
impressive to see that we did not invent anything. Stator and rotor, etc. really cool
Yeah. Nature did it all first. This got me thinking that it is possible that we will never invent anything that nature hasnt/cant as we are part of the natural system and cant construct anything outside of it. Which begs the question, is there anything that nature hasnt invented yet or is this as far as it goes for us?

• 1Picard

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Yeah. Nature did it all first. This got me thinking that it is possible that we will never invent anything that nature hasnt/cant as we are part of the natural system and cant construct anything outside of it. Which begs the question, is there anything that nature hasnt invented yet or is this as far as it goes for us?
bruce jenner what GIF

• 3Worf
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 3 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Through our eyes, the universe is perceiving itself. Through our ears, the universe is listening to its harmonies. We are the witnesses through which the universe becomes conscious of its glory, of its magnificence

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 5 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Through our eyes, the universe is perceiving itself. Through our ears, the universe is listening to its harmonies. We are the witnesses through which the universe becomes conscious of its glory, of its magnificence
Elon Musk Weed GIF

• 8Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 10 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Not magnets.

Thirty-five years after the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine exploded in the world’s worst nuclear accident, fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall. “It’s like the embers in a barbecue pit,” says Neil Hyatt, a nuclear materials chemist at the University of Sheffield. Now, Ukrainian scientists are scrambling to determine whether the reactions will wink out on their own—or require extraordinary interventions to avert another accident.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not magnets.

Thirty-five years after the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine exploded in the world’s worst nuclear accident, fission reactions are smoldering again in uranium fuel masses buried deep inside a mangled reactor hall. “It’s like the embers in a barbecue pit,” says Neil Hyatt, a nuclear materials chemist at the University of Sheffield. Now, Ukrainian scientists are scrambling to determine whether the reactions will wink out on their own—or require extraordinary interventions to avert another accident.
170 tons of fissionible material. Christ.

• 1Mother of God

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Fucking Russians. It's actually not that far out there to make a case that if not for the collosal fuckup of Chernobyl, global warming wouldn't even be an issue today.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Fucking Russians. It's actually not that far out there to make a case that if not for the collosal fuckup of Chernobyl, global warming wouldn't even be an issue today.
You mean Ukrainians? :trollface:

• 1Edgelord