Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Here’s hoping it creates a localized black hole that sucks us all in.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
feel like this should maybe go here - musk needs to go this route

I love this.

I especially like the tag line "Everyone is a pilot".

Bullshit. Take what you see on the road and now imagine applying that to the air. That will never be just for anybody unless they are automated or chauffeured.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I love this.

I especially like the tag line "Everyone is a pilot".

Bullshit. Take what you see on the road and now imagine applying that to the air. That will never be just for anybody unless they are automated or chauffeured.

they should be able to autopilot these things pretty easy, way easier than a vehicle

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Having been a pilot, there's at least 3 violations of aviation law i can see just in that video (flying underneath the powerline, flying unnecessarily low, operating an aircraft within 500ft of a person). Even assuming he got exemptions for that, it's still incredibly unsafe. A flock of birds being startled out of one of those trees he buzzed could have been the end. A bird strike could easily damage a rotor beyond what can be compensated for by the others, causing a loss of control and probably sending shrapnel into the pilot.

Flying is inherently dangerous and things that are minor issues on a car can easily kill you. Carelessness and neglect do not mix with flight at all.

The only reason commercial air travel is safe is because a staggeringly huge amount of money and effort is spent on mitigating risks. That 10 year old Boeing you last flew on has been inspected before that particular flight, been out of service for a larger inspection and maintenance for at least a week or two in the last year, and been completely taken apart and reassembled at least once, at a cost of millions. Each of the engineers that worked on it was specifically trained to work on that type. Each and every part can be traced back.
Tens thousands was spent in the last year just on recurrent training for the flight and cabin crew. A dozen or more different air traffic controllers guided it from the first moment it moved on the ground until it stopped moving on the ground at the destination. Flow management made sure none of those sectors got more traffic than they could handle. Flight ops at the operator went over weather forecasts, calculated allowable weights for the runway length available under the conditions, calculated minimum fuel requirements and added the mandatory reserves. Radio beacons placed all over the world for guidance, de-icing systems on aircraft, a library's worth of maps and pre-planned routes, the list goes on forever.

Even the most deregulated general aviation (people flying homebuilt aircraft which you aren't allowed to do anything commercial with) still has a shit ton of rules, many of which ban you from flying completely under common weather conditions and that still has a fatality rate well above motorcycles.

I'm going to invest in funeral homes if they start selling those things to Joe Public.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Having been a pilot, there's at least 3 violations of aviation law i can see just in that video (flying underneath the powerline, flying unnecessarily low, operating an aircraft within 500ft of a person). Even assuming he got exemptions for that, it's still incredibly unsafe. A flock of birds being startled out of one of those trees he buzzed could have been the end. A bird strike could easily damage a rotor beyond what can be compensated for by the others, causing a loss of control and probably sending shrapnel into the pilot.

Flying is inherently dangerous and things that are minor issues on a car can easily kill you. Carelessness and neglect do not mix with flight at all.

The only reason commercial air travel is safe is because a staggeringly huge amount of money and effort is spent on mitigating risks. That 10 year old Boeing you last flew on has been inspected before that particular flight, been out of service for a larger inspection and maintenance for at least a week or two in the last year, and been completely taken apart and reassembled at least once, at a cost of millions. Each of the engineers that worked on it was specifically trained to work on that type. Each and every part can be traced back.
Tens thousands was spent in the last year just on recurrent training for the flight and cabin crew. A dozen or more different air traffic controllers guided it from the first moment it moved on the ground until it stopped moving on the ground at the destination. Flow management made sure none of those sectors got more traffic than they could handle. Flight ops at the operator went over weather forecasts, calculated allowable weights for the runway length available under the conditions, calculated minimum fuel requirements and added the mandatory reserves. Radio beacons placed all over the world for guidance, de-icing systems on aircraft, a library's worth of maps and pre-planned routes, the list goes on forever.

Even the most deregulated general aviation (people flying homebuilt aircraft which you aren't allowed to do anything commercial with) still has a shit ton of rules, many of which ban you from flying completely under common weather conditions and that still has a fatality rate well above motorcycles.

I'm going to invest in funeral homes if they start selling those things to Joe Public.
Cost will keep most idiots out of them if they ever become available. Flying used to attract a lot of cowboys and they used to turn themselves into lawn darts at a startling rate. Well, it still attracts a lot of cowboys, just not as many as it used to. People are a whole lot less intelligent now, so I imagine the death rate in these things would be huge.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Dont shit on my paramotor/ultralight dreams.....

Though after not wanting to learn all the weather nerdy stuff and knowing my thrill seeking (200mph motorcycle), I might cave and just settle for whatever the current tech has available for FPV drone racers.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There's a reason the flying car dream would never happen and it's not just the idea of teenagers, grandmas, and drunk drivers flying around. No insurance company is going to cover it.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
The only thing dangerous about flying is that you can fall to the ground. There is far more space and far fewer things to hit in the air than on the ground. There's a reason autopilot has been a thing in planes since 1930 and they still can't do it on the ground.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Just wait till starships are a thing. Grandma hitting earth at .99999 C and liquefying the entire crust of the planet.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
The only thing dangerous about flying is that you can fall to the ground. There is far more space and far fewer things to hit in the air than on the ground. There's a reason autopilot has been a thing in planes since 1930 and they still can't do it on the ground.

I'm sure Lambourne Lambourne can comment and school me on this, but there was one thing about flying that killed me.

I'm just a crazy person, but I don't have that ultra organized engineers mentality. I feel like they make great pilots. I never felt connected to the planet, emotionally or physically. I had about 15 hours, was about to solo, but there's this thing called the "deadly turn to final" when you're coming in to land and making your last turn to line up with the runway. You're already, you're going slow, and if you bank the plane too much you will lose all lift and crash and die, lol. And apparently it's unrecoverable because you're so low already. Just freaked me out. So I quit.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dont shit on my paramotor/ultralight dreams.....

Though after not wanting to learn all the weather nerdy stuff and knowing my thrill seeking (200mph motorcycle), I might cave and just settle for whatever the current tech has available for FPV drone racers.

I'd never discourage anyone from learning to fly as it can be really fun once you get past the "have to learn a lot of shit" stage. First solo is one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences that are just going to stick with you forever. I'd recommend going to proper local flight school that uses Cessna 172s or similar general aviation aircraft which will have been maintained by a licensed engineer, the school will have proper licensed instructors and all that. Don't worry too much about thrill seeking stuff, you're not going to be doing loopings in a Cessna but you can absolutely do 0g parabolics and +2g steep turns which will suffice for the beginning. I've flown real aerobatics aircraft, it's much like taking a sport bike to the track in that you really need a certain level of skill before you can begin to make use of its capabilties and not get bit by it.

I'm sure Lambourne Lambourne can comment and school me on this, but there was one thing about flying that killed me.

I'm just a crazy person, but I don't have that ultra organized engineers mentality. I feel like they make great pilots. I never felt connected to the planet, emotionally or physically. I had about 15 hours, was about to solo, but there's this thing called the "deadly turn to final" when you're coming in to land and making your last turn to line up with the runway. You're already, you're going slow, and if you bank the plane too much you will lose all lift and crash and die, lol. And apparently it's unrecoverable because you're so low already. Just freaked me out. So I quit.

Any steeper turn is going to cost you more altitude and there can be a tendency to want to pull those nose up if you're overshooting final, which combined with a steep turn can bleed speed quickly. You can end up painting yourself in a corner with speed dropping and the aircraft requiring more and more nose up pull to keep descent under control, which just bleeds speed even quicker. If you end up stalling the aircraft while banked steeply close to the ground you're setting yourself up for hurt. Of course, if you add a bunch of power during the turn you can compensate and stop this failure spiral.

But, having to do a steep turn to final is really a sign that you started the turn too late because of a misjudgment of wind or distance. Much of flying is learning to spot problems when they begin and not let them grow into something bigger, and this particular problem has been codified into a general "avoid steep turns in the circuit" rule. The instructor is trying to teach you to think of aborting an approach as a smart thing to do rather than an admission of failure. Commercial airlines don't fly circuits but they have very similar rules, even carrier pilots do.

If you get freaked out by something just talk about it with the instructor, many of these things like banked stalls can safely be demonstrated at altitude and that can build your confidence in spotting and dealing with problems.

• 1Solidarity

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Falsifying scientific research for grant money and/or fame should be punished by a trip to the Gulag.

Even in the hard sciences more than half the paper conclusions are bullshit, it's infuriating. I'm not sure if academia people are just too agreeable or what, but I've known a handful of people who have published horseshit, that horseshit got a nice amount of references and everybody involved knew the data was horseshit and now they have tenure.

The whole system needs a redo with a much higher level of scrutiny, especially for high impact work. It used to be career ending to do this kind of stuff, now it's so common to truly expose it would cause research money to be pulled back which nobody wants to rock the boat on. You used to be able to trust research and now I wouldn't do anything unless you can reproduce the foundational work or you're just going to end chasing your own shadow.