Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Oh that's impossible. In my current position for very common algorithms like object detection I'm able to just coattail ride off of open source software systems written by people who DO have to separate the wheat from the chaff on the bleeding edge and build something on an approach that will be obsolete before they release their first version.

I wasn't responding to you with that video btw, I agree with everything you said. I just making the joke that I inadvertently used the same "there are two types of people in the world" metaphor from my namesake's movie.
So there are a couple different types of detection systems used. Tesla uses cameras and other use Lidar. Do you think we end up with a single agreed upon tech down the road or will we continue to see this split? Also what are your thoughts between the two (camera vs lidar)?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So there are a couple different types of detection systems used. Tesla uses cameras and other use Lidar. Do you think we end up with a single agreed upon tech down the road or will we continue to see this split? Also what are your thoughts between the two (camera vs lidar)?
I think most future systems will continue to use a combination of sonar, radar, lidar and cameras. The lidar industry is trying really hard to create lidar that function less like the spinny lidar and more like cameras with dramatically lower costs, no moving parts, high reliability. Here's a press release from a common lidar company on their solid state lidar.

Tesla has notoriously eschewed the usage of lidar and I think that's great, because even if a few people die due to the vehicle colliding with objects that can very easily be detected by lidar, they're still releasing an autonomous system to the public at commodity prices and pushing the envelope on it. But I think in the future as lidar improves they will start to integrate it into their vehicles. Lidar/camera/radar work so well together that dropping one requires you to really push how much information you need to extract from the other. For example, radar is really good at detecting ferrous objects through fog, so without it you're blind in some situations because your infrared / visible light spectrums are getting cock blocked. Lidar is good at measuring distance of arbitrary objects and camera is good at detecting what an object is. These all work together to paint a more complete picture of what is around you.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I was an early investor in LAZR and VLDR when they went public. Made a little scratch and bailed out since there was too much of the space I didnt understand and I didnt have a conviction on which way the industry was going to go.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I read that article, and I have absolutely no idea if they are just talking so far over my head that I feel stupid, or they have no fucking idea what they are saying either. Normally I'd lean toward my stupidity, and that is still likely the case, but man, I honestly didn't catch even one iota of evidence that anything they did relates to why time appears to move only forward for us. I'm sure it is buried in the actual paper itself, but it almost sounded like trying to prove that 1+1=2 by analyzing the smell of my farts. Seems completely unrelated, at least to an idiot like myself.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I read that article, and I have absolutely no idea if they are just talking so far over my head that I feel stupid, or they have no fucking idea what they are saying either. Normally I'd lean toward my stupidity, and that is still likely the case, but man, I honestly didn't catch even one iota of evidence that anything they did relates to why time appears to move only forward for us. I'm sure it is buried in the actual paper itself, but it almost sounded like trying to prove that 1+1=2 by analyzing the smell of my farts. Seems completely unrelated, at least to an idiot like myself.
More than likely they watched Tenet and just based a paper on it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I love SpaceTime, not sure about article(TLDR), but this may be more digestible

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users