Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Dna is biological command codes so yeah, once we get advanced enough, we will know how to write dna codes and assign a name to said code like naming a folder.

I think we will finally get rid of cancer in about twenty years time.
They're not just DNA editing, they're figuring out how to build NOVEL RECEPTORS THAT DO NEW THINGS, that's what REALLY blows my mind. My best area of biology is pharmacology, and the idea of building novel receptors is mind boggling.

Fuck tho. I just thought of the Philip K Dick dystopian outcome.

Corporations develop novel receptors that cure all our health ailments, but they design them in a way that we need a specific drug to activate said receptors. The DNA alterations that make the new receptors are inheritable. Human (de)evolution progresses to where almost every human alive has the DNA that codes for these new receptors, and so many of the genes that program for our old NATURAL mechanisms of maintaining our health end up mutating to where they no longer function. The powers that be control the means of production of the drug. Everyone is a slave to the pill now, not from Brave New World Huxley style bliss, but because they literally can't live without it.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
"This dystopian future was inspired by Season 3 and 4 of Westworld. Stay tuned for more horror clips from Boston Dynamics!"
Im curious why it always hops when it wants to turn around a 180. Is it faster for it than turning on a pivot or maybe the pivot to the left/right is still a weakness for it.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Im curious why it always hops when it wants to turn around a 180. Is it faster for it than turning on a pivot or maybe the pivot to the left/right is still a weakness for it.
It's got a gyro inside it right? Might make certain motions like that better than the human equivalent.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I am going out right now to buy a million dollar robot so if I forget my tools while I'm on a scaffold that somehow has stairs leading up to it and every motion has been pre-programmed into my robot they can get my tool bag for me. Just watch out cause it flings it at you pretty hard.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Not to mention it's probably got a 15 min battery life and you'll have to program all of it's routes and actions to an exactity.

It looks cool (and is cool from an engineering standpoint) but these clips are really just nerd jerk material until we have the energy storage tech and ai

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I am going out right now to buy a million dollar robot so if I forget my tools while I'm on a scaffold that somehow has stairs leading up to it and every motion has been pre-programmed into my robot they can get my tool bag for me. Just watch out cause it flings it at you pretty hard.
Looking at the auto industry etc it's probably a pipe dream in current America, but if they manufacture them without introducing planned obsolescence then eventually the world will be so full of them that the price will come down considerably.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm sure they will get better and they can probably be useful in some circumstances but as cool as that video is, it looks like there's a looooooong way to go before they replace human labor in anything but the most predictable and repetitive jobs.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'm sure they will get better and they can probably be useful in some circumstances but as cool as that video is, it looks like there's a looooooong way to go before they replace human labor in anything but the most predictable and repetitive jobs.

ya the roomba is about as good as it's going to get until we have some serious leaps in tech

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Idk. Cars with autopilot are already pretty damn good at image recognition, just 99% accuracy or whatever isn't good enough when talking about a product that will be used on roads on a daily basis by almost every able bodied adult in the country.

Private business robots where errors are easily seen by the user, with few other "users" in the immediate vicinity? Travelling 5MPH instead of 70MPH? Way more feasible.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Not to mention it's probably got a 15 min battery life
This fact basically makes all the cool bipedal/quadripedal robots a dead end tech right now, but all the other stuff Boston Dynamics (and the rest of the industry) is doing for AI, materials science, mechanization, etc, is also important.

Energy density is going up but there are chemical boundaries with our current tech that create a ceiling.

1674145103883.png

It's one of those technological barriers that we hopefully find a very different solution (Ex, "arc reactor" or miniature nuclear something), a lot of cool stuff will be enabled. Kinda like solar, rocketry, microprocessors etc there are just physical limitations to our current approaches.

r6pwn9.gif

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Not to mention it's probably got a 15 min battery life and you'll have to program all of it's routes and actions to an exactity.

It looks cool (and is cool from an engineering standpoint) but these clips are really just nerd jerk material until we have the energy storage tech and ai
If you had a specific area for it to work/protect, you could install floor based wireless charging (like they are planning for EV busses) and let it just constantly stay charging within that space?

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The dream for the future:
It's one of those technological barriers that we hopefully find a very different solution (Ex, "arc reactor" or miniature nuclear something), a lot of cool stuff will be enabled. Kinda like solar, rocketry, microprocessors etc there are just physical limitations to our current approaches.
The reality for the future:
science fiction 80s GIF

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
If you had a specific area for it to work/protect, you could install floor based wireless charging (like they are planning for EV busses) and let it just constantly stay charging within that space?
That's a great idea, haven't seen that proposed yet (but I only spend a very small part of my science reading time reading about robotics)

Even more basic than that for limited areas is just keeping it attached it a ceiling mounted cable. Programming movements around the cable would be pretty trivial compared to the sort of stuff they're already doing.

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
It's still in it's infancy but the spot one is already getting used by companies quite a bit and would wager they will be getting used more and more as companies adapt it to things it can do for them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
This is fucking whacky hahahaha. They took an antenna from a locust and used it to make a robot that can smell. You can't make this shit up!

The Locust antenna as an odor discriminator

^original article but behind institutional wall

^ Writeup with more details

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I have to wonder. How many humans have been cloned by now? Cloning has been around a while now. I wonder how I would feel if I found out I had been cloned. How long before a story finds one?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

I have to wonder. How many humans have been cloned by now? Cloning has been around a while now. I wonder how I would feel if I found out I had been cloned. How long before a story finds one?

in china? I'd bet a ton, cloned and who knows what other kind of modification testing is going on there to create super soldiers, better workers, more compliant plebs ect

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>

Can't remember if I shared this before. New science as of the end of December, stuff that proves Einstein wrong.