Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah the article said they wouldn't be useful for smartphones or electric cars because of the energy density but they might be great for storage either house batteries or large scale storage of power from renewables.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Make a T-Rex already.
bottom of the article

Before you go...​

Happy April Fool's! While the above story isn’t true, it is true that our Center for Conservation Genomics does research involving ancient DNA. Smithsonian scientists use ancient DNA to study evolutionary genetics and wildlife disease. Although we aren’t focused on bringing back prehistoric species, the Smithsonian has had notable success stories on saving “extinct in the wild” animals like the black-footed ferret. Visitors can also see and learn about the extant relatives of the glyptodons at the Small Mammal House, including the screaming hairy armadillo and three-banded armadillo.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Make a T-Rex already.
Comedy Challenge GIF by Alpha

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Some kid on Grandpa's HAM radio is gonna be like, "Uh... this is Earth 69 *snicker*. We will destroy your primitive race. *snicker*"
News headline: Scientists contact parallel universe only to discover they are more hostile than expected.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
That is incredibly cool but goddamn imagine seeing that in ultra hd high res. Now that'd be something.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
One area of science that I find fascinating is the creation of mosquito gene bombs

tldr: release a genetic disease into a mosquito population that results in sterile mosquitos after a dozen generations.

Other approaches look at making mosquitos luminscent, less able to fly or otherwise make them shittier mosquitos less able to breed.

I don't know of any large-scaled tests done in the wild, but I've been casually following it for years. There are a bunch of ethical considerations I don't really care about, and I don't know if the tech is ready for large scaled, wild testing and being held back by those ethical considerations or not. I figure at some point mankind will say fuck mosquitos and just dedicate some % of our money to constantly waging genetic war with them like we do against disease with vaccinations.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Wouldn't shittier mosquitos be less likely to pass on their shitty genes? I only see the time-delayed scenario working.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
One area of science that I find fascinating is the creation of mosquito gene bombs

tldr: release a genetic disease into a mosquito population that results in sterile mosquitos after a dozen generations.

Other approaches look at making mosquitos luminscent, less able to fly or otherwise make them shittier mosquitos less able to breed.

I don't know of any large-scaled tests done in the wild, but I've been casually following it for years. There are a bunch of ethical considerations I don't really care about, and I don't know if the tech is ready for large scaled, wild testing and being held back by those ethical considerations or not. I figure at some point mankind will say fuck mosquitos and just dedicate some % of our money to constantly waging genetic war with them like we do against disease with vaccinations.
code and release super skeeters that genetically modify the hosts.

Bill Gates Swag GIF

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Wouldn't shittier mosquitos be less likely to pass on their shitty genes? I only see the time-delayed scenario working.
We would be infecting them with this genetic material by a vector, right? Not hoping that they'd spread it naturally.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
We would be infecting them with this genetic material by a vector, right? Not hoping that they'd spread it naturally.
I think I was making the assumption that if we were to go to the (monumental?) trouble of producing a genetically altered mosquito, it would be a solution that's at least an order of magnitude more effective than current ones.

If we have to frequently reintroduce the genetic vector, isn't that somewhat similar to just spraying? I'll admit, I don't know how much horny mosquitos get around. Maybe the coverage area of a fertile mosquito is much larger than spraying.