Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
This is awesome if true. Going to make the solar system our bitch.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I understand what it does and all the advantages it brings but I don't get how it does it. Someone needs to make a mspaint drawing for us simple people.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I understand what it does and all the advantages it brings but I don't get how it does it. Someone needs to make a mspaint drawing for us simple people.
I'm poking around, the exact details of how it works don't seem to be publicly available. Even the article has NASA saying basically "Yeah, it works, we don't want to talk about the physics."

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I'm poking around, the exact details of how it works don't seem to be publicly available. Even the article has NASA saying basically "Yeah, it works, we don't want to talk about the physics."
So, scale this up to a phalax of gigawatt-scale fission reactors and gigantic emitters and we can go space-cowboy?

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
They have to be missing something, right? I mean I'd it works it works and who cares, but there has to be something going on to allow it to break a law of physics?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Must be an act of god, the flying spaghetti monster uses microwaves to create miracles, let's worship it.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
They have to be missing something, right? I mean I'd it works it works and who cares, but there has to be something going on to allow it to break a law of physics?
I think its clear by now that we don't understand all of physics as well as we think we do.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, they said it's relativity based...I suppose he's exploiting some sort of relativistic loop hole in normal Newtonian physics? I can't even fathom how that would work.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not 'Eureka!' but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" -Asimov

smile.png

Troll_sl

shitlord
NASA tested the Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thruster, or Q-Thruster. It creates fluctuations in the quantum vacuum, creating particle-antiparticle pairs, which ignite into a plasma and then are pushed through the thruster like a normal plasma drive. It's not reactionless, but it doesn't require stored fuel.Quantum vacuum plasma thruster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The EmDrive is also being reported on and has been tested, but it apparently breaks conservation laws and it isn't clear whether it would ever actually work (at least to me). The whole thing behind this one seems kind of fishy.EmDrive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
NASA tested the Quantum Vacuum Plasma Thruster, or Q-Thruster. It creates fluctuations in the quantum vacuum, creating particle-antiparticle pairs, which ignite into a plasma and then are pushed through the thruster like a normal plasma drive. It's not reactionless, but it doesn't require stored fuel.Quantum vacuum plasma thruster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's interesting; but I thought those "random" particle creations disappeared almost instantly? How is it possible to ionize them and use them as fuel?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I wanna know why in the hell this was never put into use;

NERVA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nuclear rocket engine, the successor to the chemical rocket engine. Its like the next logical step from chemical rockets and we had a working prototype but just said fuck it and canceled it after seeing it worked.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, you would want to make sure that thing got out of the atmosphere before it exploded.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I wanna know why in the hell this was never put into use;

NERVA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nuclear rocket engine, the successor to the chemical rocket engine. Its like the next logical step from chemical rockets and we had a working prototype but just said fuck it and canceled it after seeing it worked.
Space program lost most of its funding. Never got enough back to pursue any of the really exciting projects... pretty simple really.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That's interesting; but I thought those "random" particle creations disappeared almost instantly? How is it possible to ionize them and use them as fuel?
It still seems crazy to me. Like if that's the explanation then we've opened up a new can of worms in the physics world.