Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
After a decade-long journey chasing its target, ESA's Rosetta has today become the first spacecraft to rendezvous with a comet, opening a new chapter in Solar System exploration... Today, Rosetta is just 100 km from the comet's surface, but it will edge closer still. Over the next six weeks, it will describe two triangular-shaped trajectories in front of the comet, first at a distance of 100 km and then at 50 km.

At the same time, more of the suite of instruments will provide a detailed scientific study of the comet, scrutinising the surface for a target site for the Philae lander.
Rosetta arrives at comet destination / Rosetta / Space Science / Our Activities / ESA

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Whatever happened to that italian guy that claimed he had discovered cold fusion using nickel(I think) as fuel and platinum as a catalyst? Pretty sure he was a quack, but never heard anything further on it(quackery exposed).

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This stuff always turns out to be too good to be true. My money is on it being bullshit.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
This stuff always turns out to be too good to be true. My money is on it being bullshit.
Well, unless we're just never going to explore past LEO, it has to eventually not be bullshit. They've got to make a breakthrough somewhere.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
10 questions about Nasa space drive answered (Wired UK)

More on the drive, still no idea how it works (there are 2-3 popular theories)
I'm always amazed when we still have engineering discoveries that defy our understanding of physics. You would think when we have things like CERN LHC specifically designed for exploring exotic particles and the unobservable and unnatural, it would be nigh impossible for people to just cobble random shit together from ideas and come up with practical concepts outside of our understanding of why they work. I get that a lot of these practical things is imagination + extension of theory and 'faith' that known physics extends into the unknown to manifest itself in predictable ways, of course. But still, this is why all that LENR stuff is so impossible to believe at face value as Brutul said. Yet here we have these new Q drives, we have graphene... it's invigorating to see we still have practical leaps (and not just crawling) to make that don't rely on improbably large energy levels or impossible resource commitment.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
The exciting part is that until humans reach omniscience there are always going to be leaps like that to make. The future is always awesome.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can only hope humanity personally explores the universe before it kills itself.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Have they ever explained how that drive doesn't break the laws of conservation of momentum? The thought of being able to hover without needing energy just blows my mind.

I see a few theories barely mentioned but nothing more than a couple of words. I'm curious how they are trying to explain how this works.

iannis

Musty Nester
Oh, you do need energy. You probably need a lot of energy. This stuff is powered. What you don't need is reaction mass. As in "every action provides an equal and opposite reaction" mass. But you stillkind ofdo need that, because the device has to be powered in the first place. They're converting energy, through some magical pattern of wave interference, directly into force. And it's not a lot of force but it's also not a lot of energy. Even if this phenomena turns out to be non-scalable and impractical for most macro-applications when they manage to figure out more about how the phenomena exists it will have to provide some insight into "dark energy"... which is probablyexactlywhere it started in some grad students brain.

All this is iterative. You can't make this device and wonder why it works without first being able to make the fission device which powers it and understanding how and why that device works. And so on and suchlike. My concern is not that we'll run out of things to discover, my concern is that the body of knowledge will grow so large and specific that we'll run up against a hard biological wall within ourselves and run out of ways to discover.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's basically an impulse drive from Star Trek. It converts energy into force. It still takes a big fucking reactor if you want to get a big fucking force out of it, but it wouldn't necessarily take a fusion reactor.

Also keep in mind that most of physics breaks the laws of physics. The whole 'classical physics breaks down at the quantum level' thing is actually an oversimplification. Classical physics breaks down in all sorts of ways before you even get down to quantum physics. Classical physics is merely 'good enough' for engineering and most mundane chemistry.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, I caught my slip. I've been reading about stars lately.

They're made of garbage smoke. Can confirm.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Oh, you do need energy. You probably need a lot of energy. This stuff is powered.
What do they mean then when they say this:

A superconducting version of the EmDrive, would, in principle, generate thousands of times more thrust. And because it does not require energy just to hold things up (just as a chair does not require power to keep you off the ground), in theory you could have a hoverboard which does not require energy to float in the air.
I'm familiar with super conducting magnets and how they work. Obviously those are super cooled which requires tons of energy. Would this potentially allow levitation without such cooling? Is that their claim? Seems like crazy talk to me.