Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah there's a bunch of stuff out there on it. Could end up being a huge thing once the precision is on point. that 99.999 percent thing isn't hyperbole either, but for this kind of thing the accuracy required is crazy precise.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Yeah there's a bunch of stuff out there on it. Could end up being a huge thing once the precision is on point. that 99.999 percent thing isn't hyperbole either, but for this kind of thing the accuracy required is crazy precise.
Guess we will see if other colliders and Fermilab are able to reproduce the results. Otherwise, a big hoopla over nothing.
It is interesting to ponder though.

Sterling

El Presidente
Guess we will see if other colliders and Fermilab are able to reproduce the results. Otherwise, a big hoopla over nothing.
It is interesting to ponder though.
Yeah, but this already is a reproduced result to higher precision of a result from 2001. It needs to get to 5 sigma of precision before it would be officially announced and that will take more precision instrumentation and another round of reproduction of results, but it's gone from 3 and change sigma from the 2001 Brookhaven result to 4.2 with this one. When it comes to stuff like this you want no room for error so 99.999 percent precision isn't good enough, but by it's close enough to be very interesting.

muon spin.PNG

Bottom number is what Muon spin adjusted for quantum foam is mathematically supposed to be, top number is the measured spin.

MusicForFish

Ultra Maga Instinct
<Prior Amod>
Yeah, but this already is a reproduced result to higher precision of a result from 2001. It needs to get to 5 sigma of precision before it would be officially announced and that will take more precision instrumentation and another round of reproduction of results, but it's gone from 3 and change sigma from the 2001 Brookhaven result to 4.2 with this one. When it comes to stuff like this you want no room for error so 99.999 percent precision isn't good enough, but by it's close enough to be very interesting.

View attachment 347311
Bottom number is what Muon spin adjusted for quantum foam is mathematically supposed to be, top number is the measured spin.
Oh shit, I missed the 2001 test part. Fucking cool, thanks bro.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I was always interested in studying physics but was held back by my double digit IQ.
Don't worry. I was a straight A (~18/20 here) in physics until I hit the moment where they started quantum mechanics. One year, 18/20 average. Next year, 3/20 average.

There is a wall in physics beyond which you fall into the abyss of incomprehension.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Don't worry. I was a straight A (~18/20 here) in physics until I hit the moment where they started quantum mechanics. One year, 18/20 average. Next year, 3/20 average.

There is a wall in physics beyond which you fall into the abyss of incomprehension.
When I started college I was in my 40's. I took Chem as my hard science figuring I had it in high school back in the day, and it should be pretty cake. The first week we begin discussing the quantum-mechanical model of atomic structure. I was like "what happened to the Bohr model I remember being taught?" Professor was like "we did away with that a long time ago, we use mathematical 3-d quantum mechanical models now. Its all math". I was like "FML."

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

That is why I always liked geology. Chemistry and physics are basically stealth math courses lol

• 2Truth!

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean even basic Newtonian mechanics is all calculus. If you major in physics you have like 90 percent of a math minor already done. Also, while geology isn't calculus based there's plenty of statistics stuff involved.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Whenever people start talking about particle/quantum physics I always think "they could literally tell me anything right now because this all sounds like nonsense". A big consideration when I chose electrical engineering was that there was no chemistry because I hated it in high school. Then again high school chemistry then was mostly memorizing the periodic table. I hope that's not still the case because it seemed stupid then and it would be much more stupid in the age of the internet.

• 1Worf

Cybsled

Our high school chem teacher had been arrested multiple times for his chemistry. Like when he decided to drop a bag full of pure sodium off a bridge into the river and caused a massive explosion lol

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Whenever people start talking about particle/quantum physics I always think "they could literally tell me anything right now because this all sounds like nonsense". A big consideration when I chose electrical engineering was that there was no chemistry because I hated it in high school. Then again high school chemistry then was mostly memorizing the periodic table. I hope that's not still the case because it seemed stupid then and it would be much more stupid in the age of the internet.
After all these decades, I remember two things from High school Chem... burning different materials and watching the flames change color and throwing sodium into water so they explode.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
We did the sodium exploding thing too. That must be a universal.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Memorizing the periodic table is retarded but the table itself is a marvel and should be and is still studied. Fucking thing predicted electron and shell configuration well before anyone even dreamt of electrons and quantum physics.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
S
Memorizing the periodic table is retarded but the table itself is a marvel and should be and is still studied. Fucking thing predicted electron and shell configuration well before anyone even dreamt of electrons and quantum physics.
Since it was invented by a white guy, do libs and BLM refuse to acknowledge the existence of the periodic table?

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
S

Since it was invented by a white guy, do libs and BLM refuse to acknowledge the existence of the periodic table?
The periodic table is a symbol of white supremacy and oppression. Its invention is responsible for spirit murder of untold POCs, POC aligned and POC-self-identifying and is one of the prime examples of white men committing cultural genocide, through the denial of other ways of knowing reality, done in order to uphold the power of the whiteness and to support other tools of oppression like logic, reason, scientific method, reading, writing, discovery of the wheel, etc.

Decolonize your mind bigot, electrons dont care about facts. Electron feelings matter!

• 2Picard
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
One of these in is Livingstion parish LA and read an article recently the seismic activity was throwing off their readings. They speculate it's from logging. Gee imagine that. It's built in a giant LS a couple of miles long in a giant loblolly pine plantation in the parish (county) that produces the best genetic pines used in see tree operations across the south. Who would have imagined. Mind boggling. I think it started off with $200 million for the one in LA and the other in WA. It's up to I think near 3/4 billion now. There to measure cosmic gravitation waves in conjuction with the one in WA that is specific distance apart. According to the wiki largest project funded by the NSF, naitonal science foundation.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

I know im a cretin but it seems kind of silly to have a huge research lab running for a decade or whatever to confirm that shit wobbles. I wish the video talked more about how now they reduced the uncertainty around muons they were going to pursue new physics.