Science!! Fucking magnets, how do they work?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Right now it's like a 1 or 2. There's some machining and prototyping workflows that are really helped because of 3d printers. Areas that can't easily get parts would be greatly helped by 3d printers. Will we ever get to the point where there's a 3d printer in every home? I dunno.

There's just not that many products that 3d printers can produce currently or will produce in the near future that aren't so cheap already it's hard to justify the cost for a common user. Likely if we ever get to the point where I can download the schematic for the latest video card and print it, it'll be using technology and methodologies that are completely different from the way 3d printing is down now.

iannis

Musty Nester
Ah man, I can't remember what it is. There is a potential application for 3d printing that's insane when you combine it with other emerging metallurgy technologies. It's something to do with creating a plastic base with the printer and then using a whole pissload of electricity to metal-plate it.

That's my take-away at least. With enough electricty, development of the technology, and base materials 3d printing has the potential to truly revolutionize entire sectors of industry. Like you won't need specialized foundries for all these oddball alloys. And there are potentially a lot of useful oddball alloys. You'll need seedstock, a 3d printing machine, a humongous source of electricity, and a little bit of patience.

It could potentially allow companies to do more with less, is all. Which is sort of a big deal in some areas. But like those architects in holland that are building 3d printed houses... I sort of feel like that's just a gimmick. It's not like wood and nails is more expensive than the feedstock for the printer. Maybe I'm wrong about that, but it seems probably a little dumb.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
My experience with 3D printing tech is limited; at a conference I presented at this past summer, the booth next to me had a few 3D printers set up. Other than totally screwing up my own unexciting booth - alright, I really wasn't even paying attention to my own shit because I was watching the printers, heh - those guys printed a mountain of tiny little knickknacks and toys over the course of a few hours.

My main takeaway was that, a few guys, few of those printers and a shitload of plastic could put half of China out of business.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
On a scale of 1 to 10 for impactfulness... are 3D printers in the 10-11 range? In 50 years do we all have 3d printers? Will they be staple items for an average person?
They are in gronk range

Gonna read the rest of the thread now

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The 3d printed food machine they've shown is probably half bullshit, but the idea of creating an infinite variety of foods from ~20 base ingredients is much different than creating 20 different types of soda from carbonated water and 20 different syrups.
Are you dense bro? There are over a hundred soda choices from that machine. And yes lemon-lime Dasani sparkling sensations is completely different from lemon-lime Seltzer water.

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
The application I like the most is printing solid metal objects that would have otherwise been made by welding or bolting things together along seams. You can get a lot more strength out of a single, solid object without any weak points that way.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Oh Fox News, you so funny!

FuWUmzx.jpg
russia today did practically the same thing ironically, it was a russian rocket before the explosion and a ukrainian rocket after the explosion

???????? ????? on Twitter:

Such hypocritical scum work at RT. The rocket launches successfully?it?s Russian. It explodes at launch?it?s Ukrainian
[Headline on left: ?Launch of Russian-American rocket 'Antares' to the International Space Station successfully completed.? Headline on right: ?American-Ukrainian space rocket carrier Antares exploded at launch pad in the state of Virginia.?]

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
My experience with 3D printing tech is limited; at a conference I presented at this past summer, the booth next to me had a few 3D printers set up. Other than totally screwing up my own unexciting booth - alright, I really wasn't even paying attention to my own shit because I was watching the printers, heh - those guys printed a mountain of tiny little knickknacks and toys over the course of a few hours.

My main takeaway was that, a few guys, few of those printers and a shitload of plastic could put half of China out of business.
Just you watch, the Chinese will be the first to implement them that way.

The application I like the most is printing solid metal objects that would have otherwise been made by welding or bolting things together along seams. You can get a lot more strength out of a single, solid object without any weak points that way.
Even better than machining from a solid single piece?

The Master

Bronze Squire
That's true except that machine doesn't do that. It's simply putting shit in a can and squirting it out. NOw find me a machine where you can put in spices and base shit like flour, water, etc then you have something. It would have to be fucking huge though and not something that can fit in someones kitchen.
If you had something that could do that it'd essentially be a kitchen. It'd replace your fridge, microwave, stove, mixer, food processor, oven... pretty much everything wholesale. Put food in every so often. Push buttons, get meals out on demand.

There has actually been some work done in this field, but last I checked estimates were that it was at least 15 years out.

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
We use 3D printers on a regular basis for prototypes to check for fit and function. Much cheaper and faster than scheduling machine shops, especially if there is a problem with the design and you have to make a change and go through the process again.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Are you dense bro? There are over a hundred soda choices from that machine. And yes lemon-lime Dasani sparkling sensations is completely different from lemon-lime Seltzer water.
Ah, sorry, I didn't know it had that feature set. Either way the word printing vs mixing is key. Is creating solid objects by injecting stuff from tubes onto it and then baking it printing? I'd say so. Is mixing a few different liquids together printing? Nah.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Properly made welds are not "weak spots". The weld is as strong or stronger than the material being welded.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ah, sorry, I didn't know it had that feature set. Either way the word printing vs mixing is key. Is creating solid objects by injecting stuff from tubes onto it and then baking it printing? I'd say so. Is mixing a few different liquids together printing? Nah.
One heats and one chills. Plus the Coca-cola syrups come in printer cartridges!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
If a 3D printer can make a perfectly seared, juicy, medium-rare steak that's warm in the middle then I will officially believe in magic.

iannis

Musty Nester
I remain skeptical as well. That article is bad news though and seems like -exactly- what you would expect.

Ice absorbs less IR/heat than water and reflects more.
As Ice absorbs heat it becomes water.

That's what you call positive feedback. I wonder what regulates that? Cloudcover? As you get more liquid water instead of frozen water you also get more evaporation resulting in more clouds, more albedo, less incoming far IR to be absorbed?

That's actually a good thing, refining the model.