Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
So if I have Windows 10, but do not own an Xbox, is there any way for me to get in the test?
Buy the digital copy for an instant code. Via Amazon or otherwise. Activate the code via Microsoft store. Download the beta version via the Microsoft store.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Stave

Potato del Grande
Buy the digital copy for an instant code. Via Amazon or otherwise. Activate the code via Microsoft store. Download the beta version via the Microsoft store.

Thanks. Not looking to buy it yet, just want to try it out to see if it's worth buying for me.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Final/Open beta this weekend. Skeleton forts, merchant alliance added.

In the Final Beta, alongside the Gold Hoarders, we will be testing Merchant Alliance voyages for the first time, giving players an entirely new way to play. We are also introducing an intense, emergent opportunity into the world with the chance of a Skeleton Fort now being occupied. Watch out for that telltale skull cloud above a fort which indicates the chance of great rewards but also great risk. Will other players have seen it? Might they even be there already? Will you work together or against each other? We can't wait to watch and find out.

In addition, we're excited to announce that Sea of Thieves' Xbox One X enhancements will be available during the Final Beta! We're thrilled that players will be able to experience Sea of Thieves in 4K on the most powerful console ever made.​

Sea of Thieves - Announcing the Sea of Thieves Final Beta

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Final/Open beta this weekend. Skeleton forts, merchant alliance added.

In the Final Beta, alongside the Gold Hoarders, we will be testing Merchant Alliance voyages for the first time, giving players an entirely new way to play. We are also introducing an intense, emergent opportunity into the world with the chance of a Skeleton Fort now being occupied. Watch out for that telltale skull cloud above a fort which indicates the chance of great rewards but also great risk. Will other players have seen it? Might they even be there already? Will you work together or against each other? We can't wait to watch and find out.

In addition, we're excited to announce that Sea of Thieves' Xbox One X enhancements will be available during the Final Beta! We're thrilled that players will be able to experience Sea of Thieves in 4K on the most powerful console ever made.​

Sea of Thieves - Announcing the Sea of Thieves Final Beta

Game looks pretty good in 4K.

sea of thieves chest sunset.png

golden skull.png

Stave

Potato del Grande
Is there anywhere you can preorder this game that lets me play the beta on PC, but offers refunds if I don't like it?

Edit: Nevermind - I guess the final beta is open to everyone. Can download it on the Windows 10 App Store!

Stave

Potato del Grande
Played it with the wife and daughter. Had a blast, but got bored after a bit. We fucked up about 6 or 7 galleons with our 3 man ship and then it just became pointless. Other than that though this game just doesn't have much to do. It's not worth it for $60 let alone $180 for 3 copies. I'd maybe pick it up if it was $20. It's an amazing game with fantastic graphics and engine, but just lacks any real meat. Shame really. We "rarely" get a good unique game like this, and it just feels like it fell short.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mao

Trakanon Raider
That's been the feeling of most of my friends. We are enjoying the open beta weekend, but its almost like that is all we really need cause there isn't much to the game atm. Unless they are holding something back it just doesn't feel worth the 60$ price tag unless you have a chunk of money you are willing to spend in the hope's there will be more added.

I for one though, really enjoy the sailing. I used to sail in real life and the little attention spent on the details in this game are impressive. One being that they even accounted for speed of sound vs light in spotting. You'll see the cannon fire in your telescope before the sound actually reaches you when watching ships fight in the distance.

Its really got a wonderful solid base. Too bad there just is no real... anything to it so far other than running around finding chests and shooting people. For some reason you'd think that would be enough, but its just... lacking.

Really curious to see what this multi ship raids are and the like. If they actually make more out of it.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Played it with the wife and daughter. Had a blast, but got bored after a bit. We fucked up about 6 or 7 galleons with our 3 man ship and then it just became pointless. Other than that though this game just doesn't have much to do. It's not worth it for $60 let alone $180 for 3 copies. I'd maybe pick it up if it was $20. It's an amazing game with fantastic graphics and engine, but just lacks any real meat. Shame really. We "rarely" get a good unique game like this, and it just feels like it fell short.

This is what the sane in here have been saying. This is a great $20 indie game. This is a garbage AAA

• 2Solidarity

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
i really enjoy the game, but like everyone else, its not a 60 dollar game and thats a shame. Unless they are holding something back (which they likely are not). this is a 2 week game. There is only so many riddles they can throw at you on the current map. I really want to get the game, but a part of me is like, this is going to be destiny 2 all over again. The core is there, but thats it! lol

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i really enjoy the game, but like everyone else, its not a 60 dollar game and thats a shame. Unless they are holding something back (which they likely are not). this is a 2 week game. There is only so many riddles they can throw at you on the current map. I really want to get the game, but a part of me is like, this is going to be destiny 2 all over again. The core is there, but thats it! lol

if they are holding some big thing back secretly, at this point they are the dumbest fucking dev group in history.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
if they are holding some big thing back secretly, at this point they are the dumbest fucking dev group in history.

They've held back content on every beta, testing various core aspects of the game. This last beta is the only one that even tested the three major factions and included the skull islands. They haven't done like every beta I've played before where it was essentially the whole game. Quite contrary to the status quo. Not that I expect a whole other game beyond what was presented this last beta, but then, the mechanics and gameplay itself allow for a lot of things to be added. What? I have no idea. The skull fortress islands are pretty legit and general combat is fun as fuck. It's basically a battle royale on the seas (that costs $60 for some reason (maybe because they're not retarded and realize games can't run for free, iono)). Blackwake, the only comparable game, is $20, and that game fucking sucks balls. It's an "indy" game, with a stat board (that doesn't make sense), and is pure ship on ship encounters without any pve content at all, zero water physics, and is just generally a shit game. This game will cross play between xbox and pc (and mobile, how, who fuckin knows). We'll see.

spronk

FPS noob
If you have an xbox get gamepass the day before launch (3/20 I think?) and play for a week or two, it only costs $10 for a single month (prob cheaper ways too) and I'm pretty sure most players, especially solo, will get their entire fill of the game by the end of the first week. With so many betas I honestly just don't even feel like playing the game anymore, it would have to be almost a completely different game at launch to draw any interest from me anymore.

I do wonder if the beta is going to convert to release, been a lot of updates over the months. So bizarre to have such a big beta and so many for honestly such a basic ass game.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
So after the weekend of playing this, I'm prolly going to end up getting it. A good number of my friends will be picking it up, and while I don't think its worth the 60$ price tag it fits a role in their schedules quite well. It seems to be that semi casual game that you can pick up and play with anyone while getting drunk, fucking off and not really caring if you get sunk. Its a very niche spot. Most of us on here are much more hardcore gamers. We want progression, advancement. Challenges.

But, most of my gamer friends have lives that don't let them grind shit like hardcore MMOs anymore. They enjoyed it. People were talking about how they can play it with their kids via Xbox, how they can log on and keep in touch once a week with friends across the country who are no longer able to do the hard core MMO grind, but still want to enjoy a good game. And for that I think the game really has a place. It really seems similar to me to the old group of friends that now meet up online once a week for D&D to catch up and keep in touch. Just here, no one has to spend the time prepping all the DM work. Its just log on, crack open a beer and bullshit with friends while sailing around the map.

I think I am picking it up so I can be a part of that with old friends I don't get to see nearly as much. And, since nothing in the game is high stakes I don't get super pissed off about them sucking in raids and wasting all our time like I would in the current MMO scene. Despite the fact that they are the most horrible crewmates. Ever.

• 1Like

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
It's just no mans sky on the sea.

I really think they're missing a trick by not giving a more compelling gameplay loop, or at least allowing base building or something.

• 2Like

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
It's just no mans sky on the sea.

I really think they're missing a trick by not giving a more compelling gameplay loop, or at least allowing base building or something.
its not even close to a no mans sky in the sea, they didnt promise the world. The game doesnt crash or run like shit. Now, there might not be a whole lot to the game, but what they do have is polished as all hell.

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I wouldn't be surprised if we find out the game isn't exactly finished yet. That they have features they intended to add that just aren't making it into the release. It would kinda explain why they aren't really forthcoming in what will be in the release and talk about their future plans in a very generic, general sense from what I have read on their website.

Even in the latest beta we had one whole faction not implemented (I don't think it will really change the game. Just more fetch quests, but...) and there were a number of items in the game I couldn't interact with and features that weren't implemented. I see them talking about things they will add (Legendary Status unlocking individual personalized ships and a 'home' for instance) but I think we'll find out that they aren't even in game yet. In a way I think its similar to No Man Sky in that regard. They've got the solid base game laid down and whoever it is thats running accounting has told them they have to get it out the door to pay the bills so they can keep working on it. I don't think the base nature of the game will change, I don't think its going to be serious progression based, or that that they will go for stat improving gear that will fundamentally change your weapons/ship. But I do get the impression in how they keep vaguely talking about their 'future patches and features' that they have stuff they intended to get into the game that isn't going to make release.

At least they aren't straight up making shit up like No Man Sky.

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
The sailing and water mechanics in this game blow my mind, and the sound design is unreal especially during sea battles. It's pretty clear they spent the majority of dev time on those things alone. I'll be doing the 14-day free trial of game pass then $10 for a month, and then either buying it or most likely putting it away for 6 months to a year until they've added some real content. This game will be good... one day...

• 1Solidarity

Mao

Trakanon Raider
The sailing and water mechanics in this game blow my mind, and the sound design is unreal especially during sea battles. It's pretty clear they spent the majority of dev time on those things alone. I'll be doing the 14-day free trial of game pass then $10 for a month, and then either buying it or most likely putting it away for 6 months to a year until they've added some real content. This game will be good... one day...

I don't really know if the game will be more 'good' than it is already. I don't really expect there to be much of a change in design at this point. I don't really expect there to be any meaningful progress put in outside of cosmetics and titles. They might eventually implement items that let you make your ship stronger or faster, or your weapons better but I don't expect that to happen any time soon. I actually think they will avoid it for as long as they can because it would change the dynamic of the game. At the moment all things are equal between various players and if they start letting people acquire better gear it will cause radical changes in the pvp aspect of the game.

I think the best we can hope for is just more active and engaging time wasters, quests and objectives to complete with your friends in the goal of simply 'having fun.' They've hinted at some of that with talk of random and/or time limited events. Just picking a random possibility, something like for a week's time having a 'treasure fleet' that randomly sails across the map. If you can beat it and loot it you get more shiny bits to put on your ship.

I don't know if there ever will be an 'end game' to this game like we have in more traditionally multiplayer games, other than simply having fun. I know that sounds like a no brainer but I myself rarely play games solely to 'have fun'. I have a goal and derive my enjoyment from games by accomplishing it. Whether it is raid content in MMOs, or progressing the story in single player games. This one seems built around just fucking off with your friends and 'having fun' itself with no higher purpose.

But, you are right. The sailing and water mechanics, the sound. The beauty of the water are all amazing. I had an event over the last beta where I was chased by another ship for over an hour. I've sailed small boats before and the little tricks of trimming your sails, changing headings to take advantage of positioning. Its very impressive. I just don't know how long that will hold up on its own without friends to 'make it all worthwhile' by clowning around and laughing.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
If you have an xbox get gamepass the day before launch (3/20 I think?) and play for a week or two, it only costs $10 for a single month (prob cheaper ways too) and I'm pretty sure most players, especially solo, will get their entire fill of the game by the end of the first week. With so many betas I honestly just don't even feel like playing the game anymore, it would have to be almost a completely different game at launch to draw any interest from me anymore.

I do wonder if the beta is going to convert to release, been a lot of updates over the months. So bizarre to have such a big beta and so many for honestly such a basic ass game.

You can do the same thing on PC, because it's a Play Anywhere title Game Pass provides access to it on both platforms.