Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Yes and no. The betas we've seen have been far from what is supposedly in the final release. A whole faction was missing, none of the 'advanced' quest lines were in. Supposedly there are tougher 'legendary' quests and once you attain legendary status you unlock areas and new questlines. The Kraken wasn't in, and they talk about having special 'limited time only' events and questlines that will keep the world 'changing' and dynamic.

All that being said, I don't really expect all of that to fundamentally change the game in any way. Its not a game for you to go out and solo grind 50 skeletons for sails of +1 gooder, or to grind raid content weekly looking for top end gear. All the quests and shit in the game is really just an excuse to get you out on a ship with a crew of friends and start fucking off and having fun. Its a very different experience if you are used to MMO progression grinding. The point of the game is less to advance and more to just fuck off having fun and 'advance' as a side effect. Play this game with a beer in one hand and the mouse in the other, laughing your ass off as you shoot your friend out of a cannon straight into a cliff face just to see how far he ricochets, then laugh more as he bitches about it. That's the basic game play.

Play with friends or I think its going to be a really short lived game for you.

Edit: Possibly a more coherent answer. Our gameplay generally went like this. Get quest. Get in boat, head out to pick up the treasure. Along the way, find a sunken ship. Go explore it for a chest. Find the drunk chest. Laugh as it makes whoever carries it instantly drunk. Start to sail off and then laugh as he, being in game drunk affecting you with random movement, falls out of the crows nest and into the water. Make fun of him as we sail on and tell him to catch the mermaid that teleports you onto the ship. Then see sails on the horizon. Its a sloop, we are a galleon, so chase it. Spend 30 minutes or so chasing it and realize my crew can't hit shit. Watch one of them get blown off the deck by a stray cannon round. Laugh at him. Attempt a boarding action, fail. Decide to just ram them. Board, sink them and suddenly realize we're also sinking cause of damages so bail and patch in a frenzy while someone on top is trying to shoot their guy who abandoned ship to make certain he doesn't try and board us while we are repairing.

And the end of that, we laugh and remember we have a quest to go find a chest. Start sailing back off to get the first chest we started out after. Then we either get sidetracked again, or grab the chest and get a new quest. Rinse, repeat ad infinitum.

Last edited:

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Separate post for separate idea. This game is going to have microtransactions. No loot boxes, but I read that they were planning on including micro transactions. I expected it to just be cosmetics but a friend of mine who is big on the mobile phone games gave me a scary suggestion. This is more of a 'casual' game and if it follows that format it may have a lot of limited time 'grind 5000 sea shells for sea shell sally to unlock her special season limited time only reward!'. This will allow them to take advantage of selling cosmetics and 'boosters' to people in order to keep that sweet sweet cash draining out of our pockets.

Anyone heard anything or have any thoughts?

Good thing about those are that they are always optional. Shitty thing is they always make those limited time events just grindy enough to suck and you want to pay to skip it. So doing it w/o cash will be balls.

kahilm

Blackwing Lair Raider
Could see the microtransactions being like $9.99 for a full set of "navigator" cloths + weapon & instrument skins. And in order to get all the pieces in game it would cost like 200k gold. Can't see them selling gold straight up for cash, that'd be lame as hell.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I'd put $1000 bucks down on this game pivoting to BG, to be announced probably a couple few weeks after release. It's got the perfect base for a new fresh team based BG on the high seas. If they aren't already working on it they are dumber then I could have ever imagined.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mao

Trakanon Raider
BG?
I'd put $1000 bucks down on this game pivoting to BG, to be announced probably a couple few weeks after release. It's got the perfect base for a new fresh team based BG on the high seas. If they aren't already working on it they are dumber then I could have ever imagined.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

battleground style game - if they pivot like fortnite did they'll make boatloads of cosmetic loot box cash. The base game is doomed, just like fortnite's was.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Mao

Trakanon Raider
Thought BG meant battle ground. I've heard some talk of it. Making a free for all battle royal game and I wouldn't be surprised if they do that. Only thing is they'd have to change the base game a bit. Doesn't fortnight have gear progression and upgraded weapons? Or does the battle royal portion of it not have weapons upgrade and tiers activated? Since all the weapons are basically the same with no upgrades I don't know how well that would work.

Lots of people saying a big free for all battle area would make them throw money at this game though, so the possibility is definitely there.

spronk

FPS noob
its very YMMV but i can currently buy game pass for $5/mo or 50% off on the microsoft website, using my xbox.com funds
Buy Xbox Game Pass - Microsoft Store

I added 2 years (think thats the max you can do) for $120 or the cost of 2 games, don't need to buy any xbox exclusive games now for 2 years i guess

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I could get behind that...

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'm all for a pure pvp/bg/arena option, since most of my experience has been nothing but chasing players avoiding conflict for no reason. A smaller map with an isolated objective(s). It currently takes a good twenty minutes+ to get from one corner of the map to the other (assuming good wind). Being a sneaky pirate that hordes shit is fun in its own way, but I much more appreciate when you face off with another well handled ship and blow their shit up and steal their stuff. The clouds over skeleton islands that don't have any direct objectives tied to the mission board but hold loot as a means of encouraging encounters needs to be a focus. We'll see where they take it, and the balance of actions. I'm glad the weapons and shit are pretty much balanced and a noob is only missing the blunderbus. I loved icing blunderbus players with a sword dash. Or having one of our players jump overboard with a powder keg, managing to board another ship and alluah akbarring then into the bottom of the ocean.

Like has been mentioned here, it's a game anyone can pick up and play whenever and however. And have fun doing.