Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Progression content. What does that mean to you?

If it used an existing model of f2p with cosmetic costs, you'd be interested in playing?

If you compare it to existing libraries of available games, you could make an infinite number of arguments against any game. I could play so many other things for free, or $20, or whatever.

Are they fun?

My only argument is this game will be dead and barren a month after release. I hope i'm wrong.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yeah like I said. The streamers earlier abused the blatantly obvious tactic of parking their boat on the opposite side of the quest island and waiting on the island in buildings and shit for the poor bastards to come in and try to turn in their chest(s). Then just murdering them and turning it in before they respawned. Once the game world has more and more traffic to and from the quest hubs. This will be more profitable than actually going on missions in its current state.

You're also right. Even if there was a PVP ladder where the point was to gain ladder points or whatever and become a more legendary pirate. Anyone doing this would intentionally never have chests on their boat ever. I could see a system where if you have a reputation. It increases the bounty for other players to come find you and kill you. But this would also need to give the higher ladder players some perks to want to do it. There's a variety of ways to do this that could be cool but as long as gold/souls/whatever has no purpose and you can't buy anything cool other than a new peg leg.

Game will be shit.

What they should do is have all of the countries (at the time) at war with each other. Spain, France, and England. This would give you a reason to sink ships that are flying one or both of the opposing colors. And, that way the bounty can go up on you, if you are successful at sinking the enemy ships. Also, this gives other people a reason to want to put you down, instead of shits and giggles. BTW, I'm not just simply pulling this outta my ass, it was this way in Sid Meir's Pirates!

Although, I'm not entirely sure that would be historically accurate.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
One change I can think of right away though is to please cause massive damage to the ship when you drop anchor at speed. It is silly watching people full speed to something and drop anchor to 180.
But they did it in Battlefield, how come they can't do it here? (well, not really a 180, but still...)

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Will have to wait until release of course but, pending no major changes, anyone saying this game is worth $60 is shilling hard

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I can’t take my wife to the movies for less than 30 bucks. That’s typically an hour and a half of entertainment. This doesn’t look like a game I’ll play for years but my low estimate is 10 hours worth of laughing with friends. I imagine it will end up being more than that though.

Hopefully they add more but whatever if they don’t. It definitely seems like 60 dollars well spent to me.

• 2Picard

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
But they did it in Battlefield, how come they can't do it here? (well, not really a 180, but still...)

I still love that the alien munitions are Battleship pegs.

I enjoyed watching the bulk of Summit's hijinx, I'll try this out via Gamepass on release but not expecting to play it much.

Duskoy

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fuck ya"ll, I'm having fun

On a serious note, hope they do have some meaningful type of character progression. If I can get about 15 to 20 hours of fun and laughs with a few friends of mine then it's worth the $60 to me. Freaking cost me at minimum $25 to see a movie with me and the wife and that's at most 2 hours of entertainment

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
fbo6x5uvbwc01.jpg

• 2Worf

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
There's the treasure hunting that's in the beta, then basically "grocery shopping" missions (collect planks, cannon balls, random animals), then the raids.
Some of these Skeletons might hide in one of the many forts located in the World. Facing these challenges will require the players to perform a daring raid to find the Skull they need.

These valuable locations will also present opportunities for other nearby crews. You can, however, never be too sure who might join you and what their intentions might be.

Multiple ships or crews will eventually be required to defeat higher ranked named mobs, but friendly fire will still be a thing between the two groups.

http://crewofthieves.com/sot/general-sot/trading-company-overview/

Random events will also happen, but haven't been completely defined. The Kraken is the first obvious one. There will be a harpoon, so I imaging hunting sharks or white whales may be a thing.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
I can’t take my wife to the movies for less than 30 bucks. That’s typically an hour and a half of entertainment. This doesn’t look like a game I’ll play for years but my low estimate is 10 hours worth of laughing with friends. I imagine it will end up being more than that though.

Hopefully they add more but whatever if they don’t. It definitely seems like 60 dollars well spent to me.

I use to compare video game entertainment hours to other entertainment hours too, then I realized how retarded I was being. It's just not the same comparison and dollars spent vs time played on video games should be compared to other dollars spent / time played on other games.

I mean, how useful is it for me to bring up that I spent three grand for a week vacation ($17 an hour even counting time i'm asleep)? By that logic spending $500 on a game I think i'll play more than a week is a sound purchasing decision.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
$60 is good for 60 hours for me. Of which I have 30 into this game after a single weekend. And I've put more than $200 into Heroes of the Storm and I don't even play that game that often. WOW I spend $15/mo and get <24 hours.

It's still a dumb comparison regardless, if you don't think you'll like the game, fine. Don't buy it. Must be pretty bored to post in a thread about a game you're not interested in playing.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I saw Giant Bomb playing this earlier, it looked entertaining to fuck around with for a little bit but seeing it on screen made me feel sick after about 20 minutes...

tera

Lord Nagafen Raider
SoT looks like it will only be fun if you play with your good friends, and even then it will only be fun in a VRChat with objectives kind of way.

If there were a way to play solo, or coop only I might be interested.. and $60? lol.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I use to compare video game entertainment hours to other entertainment hours too, then I realized how retarded I was being. It's just not the same comparison and dollars spent vs time played on video games should be compared to other dollars spent / time played on other games.

I mean, how useful is it for me to bring up that I spent three grand for a week vacation ($17 an hour even counting time i'm asleep)? By that logic spending $500 on a game I think i'll play more than a week is a sound purchasing decision.

Nothing is going to compare perfectly but bringing up a vacation with airfare, possible vehicle rentals/insurance, hotels, food, etc is just hyperbole.

Obviously the best comparison is videogame versus videogame but I think other reasonable references are still valid (and not "retarded").

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
SoT looks like it will only be fun if you play with your good friends, and even then it will only be fun in a VRChat with objectives kind of way.

If there were a way to play solo, or coop only I might be interested.. and $60? lol.

You can play solo, and the smaller ships are faster, and a fuck load easier to manuever, but without pvp the game is relegated to a high definition mobile game.

spronk

FPS noob
Got an email that there will be a "scale test" from Feb 16th 10am GMT to Feb 18th GMT (2am PDT I think). I left the beta installed on PC and X and both got like 20 gigs of updates in the past few weeks

• 1Like