Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Got an email that there will be a "scale test" from Feb 16th 10am GMT to Feb 18th GMT (2am PDT I think). I left the beta installed on PC and X and both got like 20 gigs of updates in the past few weeks

I wonder if that's a 20g replacement of the 13g install, meaning 7g of additional, or in addition meaning 33g total.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
  1. Pirate Legend title - players reaching this level will uncover a new island (hideout) where legendary "quests" are available. Unique outfits and status symbol under their nametag.
  2. Post-launch title above Pirate Legend - the Legendary Captain. You start in the hideout and have a special "Captains Ship".
  3. Skeleton Forts - lots of skeletons and a skeleton Captain. Defeating him leads to more treasure that you can carry. Islands are signalled with skeleton clouds, signalling to all players that it is there, i.e. first come first serve.
  4. Character creator - when you launch the game you get a selection of 8 characters to choose from. No manual character creator, but you can re-generate the 8 characters to choose from.
  5. Microtransactions - no performance enhancing purchaseable content and no loot boxes.
  6. The Kraken - can appear anywhere, but you will recieve 30 seconds of warning (sea colour changing/ominous music).

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
This game will do fine once it introduces a Battle Royale mode. Don't worry.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This game will do fine once it introduces a Battle Royale mode. Don't worry.

One of the things I'm looking forward to is a lack of a scoreboard.

But also being able to collaborate with other ships, two four men crews, to take down and recover booty, and then shooting them in the face. For no reason other than to be a dick to friends. Like drinking too much, throwing up in a bucket, and tossing it on the captain, blinding their ability to sail our own ship.

Balroc

Molten Core Raider
I'm watching a bit more streams of this and I'm telling you, Battle Royale for this has some awesome potential. You got a map with a bunch of islands, players knock each other off and start building ships to cross the sea and fuck shit up. Only problem is balancing solo play and groups.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Played for an hour, got a few chests and sank a 4 person galleon while they were sneaking around trying to get on my ship, still fundamentally feels like a super boring game to play solo. They added some stuff like more vendors/loot, NPCs have text flavor dialog now (text only no voice), you can select a skin at the start, etc but still after an hour I was ready to close up and never play again.

Will be fun to watch on twitch teams of 4v4 have pirate adventures but yeah, unless there is an insane amount of social hub and solo content they are hiding this game is gonna be a 1 month $10 gamepass for me and then wait until they either relaunch or shut down the game

Would be cool to have a Tortuga style hub MMO island where 0-100 people can spawn in and socialize, NPCs you can hire who can fight/sail/navigate/repair, more intricate quests other than map/riddle/chest, ship races, pirate adventures, etc but as its stands its a beautiful but lifeless sandbox.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I'm still on the fence about this, but if it doesn't come to Steam, then no way.

M$ can blow chunks, hard.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This stress test was buggy as fuck. Couldn't go down below without extreme rubberbanding, and they nurfed the control of the 4man ship, giving it an extra rotation on the wheel, and slowing down the sail adjustments even more. I like the change that added a three man option on the 4man ship with improved speed on wheel control and sail control, but the 4man version was nurfed to hard. It's too easy to escape combat, and the lack of maneuverability made it even more annoying to take on another ship. The little ship should not be able to completely outrun the larger ship, either.

Things that have improved, the skeleton difficulty, spawn rate, and the challenges surrounding skull challenges (even if you could turn those in). Also the number of chests you get. Felt a bit like GTA5 Online.

Also, fucking pussies, man, turn and fight you faggots. Every ship we encountered just ran away or avoided us instead of trying to come at us. We chased a ship for like thirty minutes, which also brings up another annoyance, the rate at which the wind changed directions, and the frequency with which the wind was blowing against you.

During alpha when it involved three large ships the battles were epic. During the stress test it was mostly spent trying to just get in range of either ship.

Also, the clues have gotten dumb or maybe we just didn't see these clues during alpha, but "find the bird statue" on an island with three or more bird statues is dumb as fuck.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
if you want to engage in ship to ship combat, you just have too ram into them and have 1 person jump on theirs. We got our boat sank yesterday from doing that. i got the chests and hid them on and island, so when the dudes were looking for my chests (they never found) i found a gunpowder barrel and sank their fucking ship because they thought i wasnt on the island anymore and left their ship unattended. I couldnt stop laughing. im lucky we were so close to one of the bigger islands so it was pretty easy to hide the chests in the plants.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Stave

Potato del Grande
I just finally looked up this game, and damn this game looks fun as shit, but I think after like 10 hours I would become bored out of my mind. Really wish it had more to unlock / aim for. I can't justify paying $60 for it. Will probably have to wait until it comes down quite a bit in price.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Is the stress test still going for Xbox? We’re trying to get in but it’s giving us the usual “it’s too early” prompt and we can’t find any other way to join the test.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
A new cycle is supposed to start tonight but no idea when the start time is. I know it sounds silly, but have you uninstalled and downloaded again?

Stave

Potato del Grande
So if I have Windows 10, but do not own an Xbox, is there any way for me to get in the test?