Sea of Thieves (PC / Xbone)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Dur they'd pair it down to the 2-4 man play style of SoT. Things like grappling hooks and different types of cannon shot, smarter ship, gun and hand to hand pvp in general.

For every game with what are looking like false promises we have diehards like you, and I hope you end up right, but I have a feeling this is a dead game a month or two after release.

This game is beautiful, but has the features of an early beta indie game, not a AAA $60 Microsoft owned studio game.

If anything. This board has always been quite perceptive on understanding if a new release has the potential/core design that will warrant spending hundreds of hours in.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This is the crux of the companies fuckup. If they would have just copied black wake pvp mechanics, and put in some good start pve stuff that they could continue to build around, they'd have a hit.

pvp in this game looks fucking stupid after your first couple encounters.

Have you had a crew member jump off your ship with a powder keg, board a pursuing ship, and Allah akbar their shit? (if you shoot a powder keg on a ship, it will sink instantly, you can also drop them as mines and shoot the remotely)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Have you had a crew member jump off your ship with a powder keg, board a pursuing ship, and Allah akbar their shit? (if you shoot a powder keg on a ship, it will sink instantly, you can also drop them as mines and shoot the remotely)

Cool. Other than the sake of doing it. What is the point of PVPing random people? Is there a PVP ladder?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I watched summit streaming this the other day. His crew got in fight with another crew of 4, got their ship destroyed, but summit managed to sneak onto their boat and hid while they sailed away. He ended up throwing all their chests overboard. It was hilarious.

But I agree on what I saw about the pvp. They would kill each other and just respawn a minute later like 50 feet from where they died. It got old pretty fast.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I watched summit streaming this the other day. His crew got in fight with another crew of 4, got their ship destroyed, but summit managed to sneak onto their boat and hid while they sailed away. He ended up throwing all their chests overboard. It was hilarious.

But I agree on what I saw about the pvp. They would kill each other and just respawn a minute later like 50 feet from where they died. It got old pretty fast.

Yeah. The respawn timer needs to be longer. Realistically killing off the crew should be kind of, "you win." But in reality it doesn't seem to give you enough time to find their chests if they have any and get away before they're all back up and on your ass again.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
If anything. This board has always been quite perceptive on understanding if a new release has the potential/core design that will warrant spending hundreds of hours in.

Ya totally but there's always that die hard believer in each thread.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Cool. Other than the sake of doing it. What is the point of PVPing random people? Is there a PVP ladder?

You can steel their chests but no one has chests when their pvping and gold is meaningless currently anyways so it's really all about the pvp experience, which is balls.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You can steel their chests but no one has chests when their pvping and gold is meaningless currently anyways so it's really all about the pvp experience, which is balls.

Yeah like I said. The streamers earlier abused the blatantly obvious tactic of parking their boat on the opposite side of the quest island and waiting on the island in buildings and shit for the poor bastards to come in and try to turn in their chest(s). Then just murdering them and turning it in before they respawned. Once the game world has more and more traffic to and from the quest hubs. This will be more profitable than actually going on missions in its current state.

You're also right. Even if there was a PVP ladder where the point was to gain ladder points or whatever and become a more legendary pirate. Anyone doing this would intentionally never have chests on their boat ever. I could see a system where if you have a reputation. It increases the bounty for other players to come find you and kill you. But this would also need to give the higher ladder players some perks to want to do it. There's a variety of ways to do this that could be cool but as long as gold/souls/whatever has no purpose and you can't buy anything cool other than a new peg leg.

Game will be shit.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

Not specifically, though the reputations make different types of progress. There's certainly the potential for that, but who knows.

You have to sink their ship as a priority. That way when they respawn, their ship while be at the last/previous island they were at. Meaning they'd have to sail back to you.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Screenshot_20180128-124858.jpg

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Because they might have booty!

This game is fun to pvp, esp since skill is rewarded with loot.

Last night I got in a group of 3 friends that had nfc what to do. I called out what to do with sails and after a few practice runs we went hunting. When you line up that perfect rake across the stern of the enemy feelsgoodman.jpg. All four of us manning cannons as we cruise past the other galleon and light up its ass was so awesome.

One change I can think of right away though is to please cause massive damage to the ship when you drop anchor at speed. It is silly watching people full speed to something and drop anchor to 180.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Last night I got in a group of 3 friends that had nfc what to do. I called out what to do with sails and after a few practice runs we went hunting. When you line up that perfect rake across the stern of the enemy feelsgoodman.jpg. All four of us manning cannons as we cruise past the other galleon and light up its ass was so awesome.

One change I can think of right away though is to please cause massive damage to the ship when you drop anchor at speed. It is silly watching people full speed to something and drop anchor to 180.

Bro. I totally understand that the first 20 hours of this game would be awesome. Absolutely it would be. The trouble is 20 hours of fun is not worth a $60 price tag to me. Any idiot who actually wants to PVP in this game will obviously PVP with nothing onboard explicitly to prevent other idiots from taking shit they don't have or don't care about.

On top of the booty currently being worthless as you spend gold to get chests of gold to purchase maps to find chests with more gold and maybe buy cosmetic shit later. That is a fucktarded gameplay cycle.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Yeah I don't think there is $60 there for sure. One to keep on the radar to see if it ends up worth it.

Wasn't there an SoE Pirate game with lots of beta fun but release proved problematic?

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
This game looked really for for about 30 minutes, I don't see it having any lasting following at all though.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>

What, you don't like e-braking? Lol

Bro. I totally understand that the first 20 hours of this game would be awesome. Absolutely it would be. The trouble is 20 hours of fun is not worth a $60 price tag to me. Any idiot who actually wants to PVP in this game will obviously PVP with nothing onboard explicitly to prevent other idiots from taking shit they don't have or don't care about.

On top of the booty currently being worthless as you spend gold to get chests of gold to purchase maps to find chests with more gold and maybe buy cosmetic shit later. That is a fucktarded gameplay cycle.

The same could be said for any moba, though you can technically play those for free, with microtransactions for cosmetics, as opposed to earning them. Also any battle arena, survival game that the only reward is being the last man standing, or is heavy base building. And nothing really else.

I appreciate the objectives, as they encourage moving around the map.

Also looks like their last patch upped the number of concurrent ships, as last night we had two ships heading straight for our ship. They came across each other, duked it out, and sunk each other. We turned about to watch them get eaten by sharks, and stole their shit.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

The same could be said for any moba, though you can technically play those for free, with microtransactions for cosmetics, as opposed to earning them. Also any battle arena, survival game that the only reward is being the last man standing, or is heavy base building. And nothing really else.

Also looks like their last patch upped the number of concurrent ships, as last night we had two ships heading straight for our ship. They came across each other, duked it out, and sunk each other. We turned about to watch them get eaten by sharks, and stole their shit.

I understand you want to fanboy and while I do hope you're right. A comparison to say, league of legends or DOTAII is fucking retarded though and you're an idiot for comparing the two. With their 150 or so characters and huge combination of them to play with and the variety of each game because of it. On top of the skill based design to rise up the skill ladder.

None of which exists in this game.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I understand you want to fanboy and while I do hope you're right. A comparison to say, league of legends or DOTAII is fucking retarded though and you're an idiot for comparing the two. With their 150 or so characters and huge combination of them to play with and the variety of each game because of it. On top of the skill based design to rise up the skill ladder.

None of which exists in this game.

Ladder, rankings, didn't existed during League beta, and they had 15-20 characters. A lot has happened to that game in 9 years. Am I saying this game will amount to League's popularity? Pfft, not a chance. But it has had the top viewer amount on Twitch the last couple days. Will it last that long or amount to much in the long run? I dunno. I don't care. And I also don't care about rankings, either. Simply having a blast with bros, and clocked a good 20+ hours the last couple days. I care about having fun, not being a "professional gamer". I played Infinite Crisis for two years for similar reasons. It avoided the try hard mentality that is so toxic to a lot of games.

I get what you're saying about feeling like there's a shallowness to the game, but have you actually played it? "no because $60"

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

Comparing this game to a moba is silly, if this game was f2p, had actual progression content, and then had a purchasable cosmetics it would be great. That would also make sense. These dudes worked on this for years and have a very beautiful map/water with very basic pvp/pve systems.

Unless they have a just a huge dump of content, which I don't believe cause if it existed and/or was working it would be in beta, this is a skunk and a comparative waste of money considering the games library available to people nowadays.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Comparing this game to a moba is silly, if this game was f2p, had actual progression content, and then had a purchasable cosmetics it would be great. That would also make sense. These dudes worked on this for years and have a very beautiful map/water with very basic pvp/pve systems.

Unless they have a just a huge dump of content, which I don't believe cause if it existed and/or was working it would be in beta, this is a skunk and a comparative waste of money considering the games library available to people nowadays.

Progression content. What does that mean to you?

If it used an existing model of f2p with cosmetic costs, you'd be interested in playing?

If you compare it to existing libraries of available games, you could make an infinite number of arguments against any game. I could play so many other things for free, or $20, or whatever.

Are they fun?

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Progression content. What does that mean to you?

If it used an existing model of f2p with cosmetic costs, you'd be interested in playing?

If you compare it to existing libraries of available games, you could make an infinite number of arguments against any game. I could play so many other things for free, or $20, or whatever.

Are they fun?

Progression content. The cornerstone of any game that you want to play and keep playing. Why play League of Legends? I like the variety, the skill, I can play to increase my position on the ladder I can play to unlock more champions I don't have. Why play Monster Hunter World? The extreme amount of shit to collect, armor/weapons to craft and upgrade and general fun killing monsters.

This game is, currently, a sandbox-lite with very little to keep you in the game for more than a weekend or two. As it only has the general pirate fun going for it and nothing else. After you sink 30+ ships and are in exactly the same position as you were at day one with nothing to spend your hard won gold on... How long will that remain fun for you? This is the complaint. At the core, it seems to be shallow and simply not worth the investment in time or money because you are done with it after a weekend or two of even casual play. It will get old. Fast.

What exactly keeps me playing this game?

But if it is, "fun" as subjective as that is for you to continue pirating around for hundreds of hours without having anything to really spend your in game currency on or reason to steal from people other than the sake of doing it. More power to ya.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user