Service Providers (Internet, TV, Etc)

W

Wrathcaster

Thanks for the advice, Joe. I'll test out what you've advised and see how it works out. I appreciate you offering a solution, nonetheless. Cheers!

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
go to 192.168.100.1 and check your upstream/downstream SNR and power levels. Should be a good indicator if you have cabling problems.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just moved to the Portland area, (Vancouver), and went to get internet set up. Comcast tells me that my entire area is unavailable for any of their services. Guess I'm forced to go with Century Link.

This blows.
frown.png

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Da Fuq. I have Dish Network and tuned in to channel 200 last night (CNN) and instead got a low res version of MSNBC with a banner saying that "Turner network has removed CNN". Seems they're having some stupid contract issue with Turner networks, and have lost CNN and the Cartoon Network for now.

Oldbased

> Than U
Da Fuq. I have Dish Network and tuned in to channel 200 last night (CNN) and instead got a low res version of MSNBC with a banner saying that "Turner network has removed CNN". Seems they're having some stupid contract issue with Turner networks, and have lost CNN and the Cartoon Network for now.
7 channels in all including TCM. I bitched about it and they gave me $5 off for next 3 months but I'd rather have TCM.
DISH is now saying it is considering dropping TNT and TBS as well about anytime now. That will be a huge fuckfest.

Direct TV is not innocent either. They are now saying they could lose AMC by years end again.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This shit happens all the time. Dish is especially notorious for it. They will work it out, they just don't mind screwing over their customers as a negotiating tactic.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Suddenlink which is my local cable company no longer carries Viacom. So we lost a couple really good channels and several shit ones. What they replaced them with is complete garbage how ever. They swapped in The Blaze, Up, Sprout, and some other channels I have never heard of due to "popular customer demand".

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I don't get why people are so quick to blame providers when it comes to losing channels. Networks are more to blame than anyone. Dont get me wrong, providers can suck a dick too but Networks are always demanding more money and forcing providers to carry bullshit channels that no one watches which only serves to drive up their prices as well. Providers are left trying to make a stand (more for their benefit than the consumers) but then they get bitched at if prices go up when they don't have a choice because Networks got more money.

Be angry with the Networks. Still hate providers, that's fine and dandy but when it comes to this shit the ball is in the Networks court.

And speaking of Providers....anyone else experiencing Comcast's X1 nation wide outage at the moment? These people can suck a dick.

Oldbased

> Than U
Ya I should have been clear I wasn't blaming DISH directly, but I am paying them which means they need to work this shit out much more in advance than they do now and when they talk about yanking channels that still have contract like TBS/TNT just cause we can pisses me off more. Dish and Direct TV compete for lower prices to retain cable subscribers. Cable doesn't seem to have near the issues, but I assume they just say fuck it, we'll raise the bill. That and most cable companies now own many of the channels they carry.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I don't get why people are so quick to blame providers when it comes to losing channels. Networks are more to blame than anyone. Dont get me wrong, providers can suck a dick too but Networks are always demanding more money and forcing providers to carry bullshit channels that no one watches which only serves to drive up their prices as well. Providers are left trying to make a stand (more for their benefit than the consumers) but then they get bitched at if prices go up when they don't have a choice because Networks got more money.

Be angry with the Networks. Still hate providers, that's fine and dandy but when it comes to this shit the ball is in the Networks court.

And speaking of Providers....anyone else experiencing Comcast's X1 nation wide outage at the moment? These people can suck a dick.
Well in Suddenlinks case Viacom caved at the last minute to Suddenlinks price but Suddenlink said fuck you anyway. Then gave me 5 really shit channels for the same price.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Ok I read about their nationwide outage the other day, we weren't affected. But last night around 6:30-8:00/8:30 my wife was bitching because the X1 cable box wasn't displaying anything.

That shit is infuriating. The regular cable internet worked..

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Ya I should have been clear I wasn't blaming DISH directly, but I am paying them which means they need to work this shit out much more in advance than they do now and when they talk about yanking channels that still have contract like TBS/TNT just cause we can pisses me off more. Dish and Direct TV compete for lower prices to retain cable subscribers. Cable doesn't seem to have near the issues, but I assume they just say fuck it, we'll raise the bill. That and most cable companies now own many of the channels they carry.
DirecTV doesn't really have near the issues that DISH has either, because Charlie Ergen. If there's any company that's going to make the 'bold' (synonymous in this case for 'churn a lot of customers') move of dropping some relatively popular channels permanently it will be DISH. They're gearing up for losing CBS in like 14 big markets soon also but are making progress toward preventing that from happening.

Typically plenty of blame going around, but DISH doesn't get the benefit of the doubt from me.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Ok I read about their nationwide outage the other day, we weren't affected. But last night around 6:30-8:00/8:30 my wife was bitching because the X1 cable box wasn't displaying anything.

That shit is infuriating. The regular cable internet worked..
Yeah, the cable box in my bedroom worked just fine, the X1 in my living room either didn't work at all or when it did, nothing worked as far as menus went and the screen was all tinted green....for 4 fucking days. On day 4 the internet started going to shit.

After talking to multiple people I finally got the answer. They rolled out an overnight update for the X1 that was either not tested or if it was the person who did the testing needs to be fired, but it fucked up everyone's box and they've had to go through and manually re update everyone box's.

This morning everything in my place was down for a few hours and now it seems to be running again, internet is fine but slow at times and the TV picture seems okay. I asked for a credit and they said they would give me $7 credit. (services I have equal $3.5 per day multiple that by 4 days and divide by half since the TV in my bedroom worked.)

I literally told that person to go fuck themselves and got on with a supervisor who gave me a $50 credit and movie channels for free for 6 months and was told to call in 6 months to get them free again for another 6 months.

$7 credit, those fucking fucks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was telling my wife if my company ever engineered a product as shitty as the X1/regular Comcast cable boxes we'd be out of business in a week. Comcast gets a monopoly so no one can do anything about it.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I just don't get how you can roll out an update as poorly tested as this one seemingly was. It's like they aren't even trying to hide how shitty they are anymore. It's insane, it's not like they are hard up for money or anything.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The people that run these companies and their majority shareholders are psychopaths. "Enough money" isn't a concept that exists for them.