Shaving

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I'll have the try the feathers next. I tried another blade from the sampler, a Bic, it was about par with the Gillettes. I am thinking of just going back to the Astras and calling it a day. The rest of the shit in the sampler pack is some weird noname shit that scares me after my freddy kreuger experience with the Derbys.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Feathers are the only blades that don't tear up my neck going certain directions. Really great.

I posted this same story before, but my Merkur 1904 42c kicks ASS. Feather blades are amazing, I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Also 10 blades for $5 from now on, hollllyyyyy shit thats cheap.

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
Since there's a lot of experience in this thread, I have a question. I takes me about 3 to 4 days to develop five o'clock shadow. Are there any trimmer, or electric razors that will only cut my facial hair down to 5'oclock shadow? I ask because when I put a razor to the face, I always break out a little bit. But once my 5'oclock shadow starts coming in, my face clears up. A big reason I believe is that I train dutch kickboxing every day, which means massive amount of sweat, germs from other people, and leather gloves on my face for two to three hours. So i really want to limit having a fresh face with pores ready to take in all this shit.

I just need a way to always keep a five oclock shadow (btw, my five oclock shadow is a pretty weak version, as my facial hair isnt pitch black)

I just need a way to always keep a five oclock shadow (btw, my five oclock shadow is a pretty weak version, as my facial hair isnt pitch black)
I was going with this five o clock look for awhile.. it's tough. But look for a body hair trimmer, and put it on the lowest or second to lowest settings. It'll do the trick.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Since there's a lot of experience in this thread, I have a question. I takes me about 3 to 4 days to develop five o'clock shadow. Are there any trimmer, or electric razors that will only cut my facial hair down to 5'oclock shadow? I ask because when I put a razor to the face, I always break out a little bit. But once my 5'oclock shadow starts coming in, my face clears up. A big reason I believe is that I train dutch kickboxing every day, which means massive amount of sweat, germs from other people, and leather gloves on my face for two to three hours. So i really want to limit having a fresh face with pores ready to take in all this shit.

I did the permanent 5 o' clock shadow thing for 2 years and I found that a cheap, foil-head electric razor worked the best. For example:http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Series-1...electric+razor

I actually think that's the newer model of the one I used to have. It worked well because those foil heads don't really get close enough to your skin to give you the super close shave of a cartridge razor, but it catches all the somewhat tall hairs and keeps them trimmed to a pretty short length.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Does nobody in this thread straight shave?

Been shaving my head / face with one for a while, pretty comfortable with it, and about to upgrade from one with disposable blades to a high end german made one with a nice local (Best ones in the world come a few hours from where I live) honing stone / strop etc etc.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Im very comfortable using my DE + feather blades to shave my head and face but straight razors kinda scare me a bit. May have to try it someday but what I'm doing now works perfectly. I can't imagine a straight razor improving my experience significantly

kidRiot_sl

shitlord
I did the permanent 5 o' clock shadow thing for 2 years and I found that a cheap, foil-head electric razor worked the best. For example:http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Series-1...electric+razor

I actually think that's the newer model of the one I used to have. It worked well because those foil heads don't really get close enough to your skin to give you the super close shave of a cartridge razor, but it catches all the somewhat tall hairs and keeps them trimmed to a pretty short length.
Omg...How did I forget those?!

In the Marine Corps, most of us used them to shave in the field. Yeahh they miss hella...Seriously, the closest shave it will give you is a 5 oclock shadow.

Damn bro, thanks for the suggestion!

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
I posted this same story before, but my Merkur 1904 42c kicks ASS. Feather blades are amazing, I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

Also 10 blades for $5 from now on, hollllyyyyy shit thats cheap.
They are usually like 50 blades for $15 on Amazon.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider

Been shaving my head / face with one for a while, pretty comfortable with it, and about to upgrade from one with disposable blades to a high end german made one with a nice local (Best ones in the world come a few hours from where I live) honing stone / strop etc etc.
If you read the whole thread, a few people shave with a straight razor, including me. I find it a hassle to keep the straight razor sharp for shaving when I can just dispose double edged feather blades. However, straight razor is the smoothest shave ever (by far). Safety razor is just a lot more convenient.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Randomly bought a can of Barbasol, opened it and instantly recognized the smell, turns out it's what my Grandpa used. Dug out his safety razor, checked the production marks and dated it to 2nd quarter 1953, and had a shave. I'd describe it as a massacre. I haven't been clean shaven since the Corps so I don't shave all that much cept the jaw and neckline of my beard but I'm thinking about making the jump.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Barbasol is crazy because I think it's all anyone ever had back then, such a recognizable smell. When you say massacre do you mean to say you cut yourself up or like you massacred the hair or something?

If you're going to make the jump, I suggest getting a nice badger brush, an assortment of different blades, and some nice shaving soap/cream. Also watch some wet shaving videos on youtube to see how it's truly done.

I had to make the jump for my new job, and the shittiness of it wears off after about a week.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Mainly cuts and the like. Used to putting pressure on the blade etc not letting the weight work for me. I'd always thought about making the jump cause I like the idea of doing things the way the old timers did. Should have done more research before I had a go. But it was a quick spur of the moment try really.

I'm always bearded in some length or another so I'm on the fence about investing the money/time to really jump into the deep end of it all considering how little shaving I do now. I maintain my jaw line every day or so but I can let me neckline go for a week or so before I reign it in. I shave with cheapo $6 packs of 2 blade razors as of now cause I feel I need more precision for the shaving I do, find that 3+ blade shit gets in my way. Not sure I can get that precision from a big bulky safety razor. I might snag a variety pack of razors and give it another go with each. But I'll certainly watch some videos or something on how to do it now.

If I was clean shaven all the time, I'd certainly make the jump cause 100 razors for $10 vs a handful for $6 is a no brainier.

Was pretty cool shaving with the same shit Grandpa did though. Plus the weight of the safety razor feels awesome.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You didn't just use the razor blade that was still in the old-ass razor did you? Please tell me you at least put a new one in there. Otherwise, I'd probably go get a tetanus shot if you haven't had one lately, lol.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>

As Dauntless said, a few of us straight shave. Very few people make the jump to straight razors and those who posted in the thread already know what they are doing when it comes to use and maintain their blade, so there isn't a lot of questions on the topic. Most of the guys are migrating from Mach3 type razors to the old fashioned safety razors, so that is where the bulk of the chat is about.

Holy hell, I just realized Im replying to stuff posted 6 months ago. Tkx necro.