Shazam! (2019)

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
This movie is going to be fun. That's all I care about at this point. Also, no politics. Same reason Aquaman was good, not because it was a good movie. It was simple, mindless fun with good visuals without some stupid message or trying too fucking hard. Looking at you, every DC movie before Aquaman.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It can be the greatest Marvel movie to date, but the hoobachoo politics injecting itself still has an opportunity to sour the entire experience. Other than Black Panther, Marvel movies have been relatively neutral from a political standpoint. Not pressing any stupid gender or other politically motivated message. I'd say it ruined Black Panther, but that was only 50% of what was wrong with that dumpster fire.

"Her", "Hero", what a dumb fucking promotional statement. Nobody actually gives two fucks what the character's sex or gender is.

I don't think it could be the best Marvel movie to date, even removing all of the extra stuff (whether you're someone who cares about it or not). Mainly just because of timing. If CM is going to play a big part in Endgame, they pretty much will be foreshadowing it at some point in this movie, which I think being so close will take away from it somehow. If she isn't a major factor and is just another character included...it'll be only pretty good AT BEST b/c its just another origin story that for whatever reason they decided to put way too close to basically THE chapter that is the culmination of 10 years.

Either way I think it hurts how good the movie can be by itself just with the looming spectre of Endgame. Of course I think the fact they've even had the next Spider Man trailers out as stupid. Even if we all know he's being brought back from the snap, at least pretend to play the game and not give anything away.

Last edited:
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
At least from the trailer this looks like DC actually nailed the tone of the character for once and it’s taking itself too seriously.

I guess we will have to see how it turns out but I am hoping it has more of an animated DC movie feel.

I know I have expressed this before but the animated DC movies often have been pretty good compared to the dumpster fire that is their typical live action offering as of late.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
At least from the trailer this looks like DC actually nailed the tone of the character for once and it’s taking itself too seriously.

I guess we will have to see how it turns out but I am hoping it has more of an animated DC movie feel.

I know I have expressed this before but the animated DC movies often have been pretty good compared to the dumpster fire that is their typical live action offering as of late.

Of the following, Doomsday was probably the worst and only really "bad" movies of the bunch. I've relatively enjoyed every other one on the list. All-Star Superman is pretty much a masterpiece, and if they copied Justice League War verbatim to a live action film it would be one of the best comic book movies ever. Flashpoint Paradox was also a killer, emotional movie.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
so apparently DC/Warner showed a bunch of reviewers the movie the other day and it is getting good comments on twitter from said reviewer- review embargo on until the 23rd of march.

most comments say that Levi nailed it.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Chuck seemed so pumped for the film, you know he's read comics cuz he's like the only contrasting superhero for shazam is peter parker. he says peter and not spider-man cuz shazam at heart is all about dumb teenage billy batson turning into a god.

DC shoulda had the balls to release it this weekend

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Fun movie, makes me wish Green Lantern worked out, would like to see Shazam and Hal Jordan (toss in Aquaman while you're at it) meet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
Friend who inks for DC got to see it last night. Its still a lowish bar, but he said it is by far the best DC movie yet and he absolutely loved it. Apparently Levi kills it in this.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Friend who inks for DC got to see it last night. Its still a lowish bar, but he said it is by far the best DC movie yet and he absolutely loved it. Apparently Levi kills it in this.

Chuck is awesome. Wis he would have been used more as Fandral, but then again he'd probably not landed the role as Shazam if he was locked in at Marvel.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Friend saw it at one of those paid sneaks on Saturday and really liked it. Said it had a lot in common with the New 52 story that ran as a backup in Justice League.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Saw it last week, was very good. Comedy was spot on and it felt more like a marvel flick than a DC shitfest

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
seeing it the 7th at an AMC superlux theatre.

heated reclining seats w/adjustable headrest & full restaurant service(Davio's is the restaurant that does the food).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Heated seats in a closed auditorium but still LieMAX. F off AMC / Regal.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Mmm, I'm torn - on the one hand it was fun, entertaining and well-acted. On the other hand it was trite, unoriginal and silly.

It had more of the Adam West batman sensibility, where there's not really any consequences for anything, no matter how recklessly stupid and dangerous it is.

In my opinion it's a bit too much of an over-correction to the grim and gritty aesthetic, could have done with a touch more seriousness. Your mileage may vary.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5/10 or so. Worse than aquaman/wonderwoman and most of the marvel movies, but way better than BvS and the like.