Shazam! (2019)

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Went to see this tonight. I enjoyed it. It's mid-tier. I'd put it behind WW and Aquaman in the DC standings. I consider it better than Captain Marvel.

One thing I really thought was out of place and forced...
The mom who abandoned him plotline

spronk

FPS noob
Saw this last night, thought it was ok. Nothing terrible, but super predictable and the whole A-B-C setup of origin stories is getting pretty stale. While Venom and Aquaman are probably worse movies story/character wise, they have the budget to make it visually appealing and very charismatic leads so honestly I'd say those are slightly better movies. At least those are worth a watch in theaters, this is really just a home watch - there wasn't any amazing visual setups or action scenes. Definitely better than Captain Marvel.

I kinda wish they had leaned into the goofiness of super hero movies more ala Deadpool, while there were some funny moments for the most part they treated everything a little too serious. I wonder if there were editing issues, it clocks in at 2h14m which seems a bit long.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

fris

Vyemm Raider
Saw it today, was OK

Felt like it couldn't decide if it was a kids movie or a fun super hero movie. I could see him joining JL. Don't see him carrying another solo movie till after that

I haven't seen aquaman, so can't compare. Nikki where near as good as WW, nothing insulting to fans like BvS

• 1Like

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I liked it. If you have kids it's I good movie to take them to.

Those that are complaining about the film read the comics? I knew what I was getting into so there were certain things that didn't follow the comics but was still good

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
They pretty much are doing the New 52 Shazam Geoff Johns storyline. The major change was taking out Black Adam and putting it all on Sivana.

I thought it was good. It's definitely a family friendly Superhero movie. My nephew loved it. He had never seen a DC movie really yet. He's a total Marvel Fanboy, 5 years old, and they had to let him watch Endgame cuz he was not willing to be left out. My sister told me that he came up to her and said "Don't worry, I know it's not real Mom. I'm not dumb."

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
From the trailers it looks like an adult being goofy because he's supposed to actually be a kid, but the kid isn't goofy.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
From the trailers it looks like an adult being goofy because he's supposed to actually be a kid, but the kid isn't goofy.

That's someting Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus also noticed. The adult actor really captured the kidlike feeling of dealing with the situation, while the kid actor just seemed like a jaded, cynical, angsty teen.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Didn't like it quite as much as Wonder Woman or Aquaman, but I'd say that it's not because of a lack of quality, and more so that it's aimed more at a younger audience. And considering that the character's core concept is, "the movie Big, but being Tom Hanks grants superpowers," I'm not inclined to hold that fact against them. And even if we're less the target audience on this one, I still did enjoy it overall.

Like Aquaman, it really embraces the cheesy stupidity of the comic book stuff, to its benefit. Just as Aquaman went all-in on the 'Atlantean seahorse cavalry fighting crab people' stuff, Shazam doesn't try to gritty up the A Wizard Did It-ness of the origin story. It's amazing how fun these movies can be you don't try to Batman-up the tone of every superhero.

I was cautiously optimistic that DC was finding their footing after seeing Aquaman, and after seeing this, I think I'm willing to drop the 'cautiously' from that statement. They still got a ways to go to catch up with the quality of Marvel's best, but at least they're making good stuff now.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Trakanon Raider
I went into this movie never having even heard of Shazam outside the previews. I fully expected this to be absolutely stupid. I was wrong, I thought it was great. I left the theater completely happy with how that movie went and hoping for a sequel. Pretty similar response I had to Aquaman actually, but I think I liked this a tad more, though definitely not in terms of CGI. DC is just nailing the main castings for these movies now.

• 1Like

Homsar

My biggest thing was how Zachery Levi captured the Shazam charactor and a true 12 year old but the young actor was way to serious and not goofy at all. Was 2 different people for the most part

• 2Like

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
My biggest thing was how Zachery Levi captured the Shazam charactor and a true 12 year old but the young actor was way to serious and not goofy at all. Was 2 different people for the most part
this.

I went into this movie thinking it was good, according to some people.

it was...okay. Better movie by DC standard. Many cringey scenes. Many, many cringey scenes. They mashed in many things that tries to touch the audience "emotionally" and I...appreciate the gesture. After-climax scene at the cafeteria was pretty cool.

And..like what everybody is saying...this was definitely a kid's movie.

Vulg

Golden Knight of the Realm
I went into this movie never having even heard of Shazam outside the previews. I fully expected this to be absolutely stupid. I was wrong, I thought it was great. I left the theater completely happy with how that movie went and hoping for a sequel. Pretty similar response I had to Aquaman actually, but I think I liked this a tad more, though definitely not in terms of CGI. DC is just nailing the main castings for these movies now.
It was the opposite for me - expected a decent movie, thought it was garbage. It was just a weird mixture of almost-funny, not-badass, not-cute etc.

I know the cheese is intentional, but unlike Aquaman (which I recognize as just bad film but I genuinely enjoyed), I couldn't get into this.

Oh well.

• 2Like

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
It was the opposite for me - expected a decent movie, thought it was garbage. It was just a weird mixture of almost-funny, not-badass, not-cute etc.

I know the cheese is intentional, but unlike Aquaman (which I recognize as just bad film but I genuinely enjoyed), I couldn't get into this.

Oh well.
Yeah i agree. I went into thinking Aquaman was a bad movie while Shazzam was advertised as a competent movie.

Aquaman was tipping to "really, really bad...with millions of dollars invested." I can't forget the Aquaman transformation scene at the waterfall. Lost my shit...i shat my pants...many wtf moments like sea creatures fighting a war. big WTF with big WTF.

Homsar

Say what you will but the end scene in the cafeteria was pretty damn good

• 1Solidarity

Jonkimble

Lord Nagafen Raider
I felt like adult kid was better at being at kid that the actual kid; actual kid was way too edgy. Still enjoyed it. The "cameo" ending definitely made me giggle...but wondering how Shazam got a hold of said guy.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i didn't mind the fact that Shazam acted like more of a "kid" than Billy.

think about it this way

foster homes, looking for mom etc...desparate. he had no time to BE a kid, he supressed his "kid" persona for an uncaring ass due to wanting to only express the love for family etc to his mother.

while shazam released his inhibition on acting LIKE a kid.

i liked the movie, it did leave sequels wide open in a wider DCU sort of way. maybe they "reboot" the DCU with WW aquaman and Shazam and go less "dark and gritty" ala superman, BvS and JL.

• 2Like

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
I think this movie wasnt up to expectations due to it being a origin story. I really think the sequel will do a lot better.