Shazam! (2019)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It's like if the DC movies aren't dark and depressing schlock they do well.
Wonder Woman was somewhat grim, as well as Dark Knight Rises and Bats v Supes. they did very well. Man Of Steel i fucking hated because it completely misrepresented what Superman was about and let him be a slefish asshole by saving Lois instead of the million or so people massacred in Metropolis when the planet destroyer thing started winding up. nobody is going to come from that moving feeling good. i felt fucking angry. it still pisses me off. Batman can be grim. but Supes has to save the day and protect everyone or die trying.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Wonder Woman was somewhat grim, as well as Dark Knight Rises and Bats v Supes. they did very well. Man Of Steel i fucking hated because it completely misrepresented what Superman was about and let him be a slefish asshole by saving Lois instead of the million or so people massacred in Metropolis when the planet destroyer thing started winding up. nobody is going to come from that moving feeling good. i felt fucking angry. it still pisses me off. Batman can be grim. but Supes has to save the day and protect everyone or die trying.
Wow, I actually agree heavily with you, even though I rather enjoyed MoS. BvS may have done well, but was still garbage. WW was good, dark, but she was every bit of what I'd expect from a Superman film - ridiculously positive and hopeful, stern, strong, and unabashedly furious in the face of conflict.

Shazam, I hope, is going to flip the whole grim dark shit on its head for DC. Whimsical, ridiculous, fun. And ultimately alters the entirety of how WB handles DC content going forward. We're done with grim. We need some proper Hope in films now.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Wow, I actually agree heavily with you, even though I rather enjoyed MoS. BvS may have done well, but was still garbage. WW was good, dark, but she was every bit of what I'd expect from a Superman film - ridiculously positive and hopeful, stern, strong, and unabashedly furious in the face of conflict.

Shazam, I hope, is going to flip the whole grim dark shit on its head for DC. Whimsical, ridiculous, fun. And ultimately alters the entirety of how WB handles DC content going forward. We're done with grim. We need some proper Hope in films now.
we can agree on some things, i dunno how old you are, but i remember the Shazam program back in the 70s and it was tits for 6 year old me.
Man Of Steel just rubbed me the wrong way. i have hopes this will be fun. my only worry is that the villain will be lame since we havent seen him yet. if he's a goof then this movie will likely suck. he has to be serious business.

• 1Solidarity

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
literally, the first thought i had when seeing the trailer:

"A DC movie that isn't dark, depressing and making me want to slit my wrists? Where do I sign up?"

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Honestly, this movie could work even without a bad guy. Imagine that shit.
is there a superhero movie that didnt have at least one main villain and was a cohesive film? even Unbreakable had a main villain, even though Willis's character wasnt aware of it.

Sterling

El Presidente
Wonder Woman was fine until the terrible CGI ending that actually looked like a shitty 90s movie or something. While I can understand what you're saying about MoS it's at least a coherent movie. Dark Knight Rises and BvS are complete shit movies with the only thing going for them is that they're not quite as bad as Suicide Squad or Catwoman.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
we can agree on some things, i dunno how old you are, but i remember the Shazam program back in the 70s and it was tits for 6 year old me.

Same here, I'm old enough to remember what I believe was the Shazam/Isis power hour and it was a staple for me. If they can just nod a tiny bit nostalgically for us old F'ers, and make if fun and enjoyable then I'm all in on this one.

Then use him to being some more levity to the JL shenanigans while they decide how to make their Flash likable. Saw the commercials during the travesty of NFL football yesterday and both I and Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus were down with it.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Same here, I'm old enough to remember what I believe was the Shazam/Isis power hour and it was a staple for me. If they can just nod a tiny bit nostalgically for us old F'ers, and make if fun and enjoyable then I'm all in on this one.

Then use him to being some more levity to the JL shenanigans while they decide how to make their Flash likable. Saw the commercials during the travesty of NFL football yesterday and both I and Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus were down with it.
My dad and i also watched Plastic Man on saturday mornings. if Shazam can work, then so could he.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Wow- I totally remember the Shazam TV show. It was very much in the (true) spirit of Spiderman; geeky kid being given super powers.

Confused now that there are TWO Captain Marvels (and one owned by DC). Who knew?

This looks like it wants to be camp. That never seems to work well. Right, Arnold/Mr Freeze? I just don't think DC has the smarts or the guts to do funny well. Especially not in our nothing-can-shock-me-anymore culture. Deadpool pulled it off as a miracle of deep, pop-culture irony and went all-out R rating. But even if they wanted to do "dumbed-down" funny, that also requires some serious smarts to pull-off dumb (Harold and Kumar go to White Castle comes to mind). They can't.

I'll wait for the "BJ and the Bear" movie. (just kidding). Maybe "Sheriff Lobo?" I mean, "Dukes of Hazard" did actually happened! OMG...

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Wow- I totally remember the Shazam TV show. It was very much in the (true) spirit of Spiderman; geeky kid being given super powers.

Confused now that there are TWO Captain Marvels (and one owned by DC). Who knew?

This looks like it wants to be camp. That never seems to work well. Right, Arnold/Mr Freeze? I just don't think DC has the smarts or the guts to do funny well. Especially not in our nothing-can-shock-me-anymore culture. Deadpool pulled it off as a miracle of deep, pop-culture irony and went all-out R rating. But even if they wanted to do "dumbed-down" funny, that also requires some serious smarts to pull-off dumb (Harold and Kumar go to White Castle comes to mind). They can't.

I'll wait for the "BJ and the Bear" movie. (just kidding). Maybe "Sheriff Lobo?" I mean, "Dukes of Hazard" did actually happened! OMG...

Thor Ragnarok

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Thor Ragnarok

But that was Marvel. Marvel CAN do funny. Not quite camp (although admittedly has campy elements). DC does camp unintentionally. This will be an intentional stab at camp. I think it will be an unwatchable bomb, although I do like the idea.

• 1Picard

Haus

<Silver Donator>
My dad and i also watched Plastic Man on saturday mornings. if Shazam can work, then so could he.

Well, if we're going down the "DC Heroes that could make a more light hearted team" approach...
87jli.jpg

Which leads me directly to fancasting ....

blue-and-gold-1.png

With NPH as BG and Nathan Fillion as Blue Beetle.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well, if we're going down the "DC Heroes that could make a more light hearted team" approach...
87jli.jpg

Which leads me directly to fancasting ....

blue-and-gold-1.png

With NPH as BG and Nathan Fillion as Blue Beetle.
i'll be happy with a plastic man /shazam team up. they can do the minor stuff while Sups, Bats, WW and Seaman fight the big stuff.

• 1Like

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Young me didn't quite know why I got up so early every Saturday to watch Shazam/Isis, but older me understands that tingly feeling in my balls when I think about Isis. She was so hot to gradeschool me.

blog_joanna_cameron_2[1].jpg

This looks much better than I expected, and I'm cautiously hopeful. Still haven't seen Aquaman, and I am sure I won't see this in theaters either, but if they can keep it up for several movies I might reconsider that stance. Zachary Levi was a perfect casting choice.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, the wife was concerned about Levi because the suit is so obviously a "puffy give him fake muscles" suit... Other than that I think personality wise he'll be a great call for it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Young me didn't quite know why I got up so early every Saturday to watch Shazam/Isis, but older me understands that tingly feeling in my balls when I think about Isis. She was so hot to gradeschool me.

View attachment 190576

This looks much better than I expected, and I'm cautiously hopeful. Still haven't seen Aquaman, and I am sure I won't see this in theaters either, but if they can keep it up for several movies I might reconsider that stance. Zachary Levi was a perfect casting choice.
holy crap, i completely forgot about that show, yeah she gave me the tinglies too. thats a hunk of good looking woman right there. her bush must have been magnificent.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the wife was concerned about Levi because the suit is so obviously a "puffy give him fake muscles" suit... Other than that I think personality wise he'll be a great call for it.
I am choosing to believe that they did that on purpose, sort of like what a young boy would create if he had any influence in what his superhero alter-ego would look like. Greatly exaggerated, chest puffed out, etc. I might be wrong, but that's how I'm rationalizing that terrible suit.

• 1Like