Shazam! Fury of the Gods (2022)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Sucks for Levi. I like the first movie a lot and cant wait to see this one. But WB/DC has been making such awful movies lately and then Gunn coming onboard and firing everyone is the problem. Whats the point in paying to see this if you know it has no purpose.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah I'm sorry to see that this bombed. Who's really gonna bother when the DCU is in a lame duck session though? Nothing really matters until 2023's movies are all out and the reboot begins.

I like Levi and the first Shazam is probably the most fun movie the DCU produced. Usually their attempts at "light-hearted" are fucking stupid, like the endless Harley Quinn movies and Amanda Waller team ups bullshit. Shazam, though, they got that one. The humor landed and it had actual heart. That said even I'm in no rush to see this.

I'm pretty superheroed out. Thought Thor 4 was a joke filled mess with no gravitas, got nothing out of Black Adam, never even put aside the time for BP2, and thought Quantumania was actually pretty stupid. The last one was somewhat saved by Jonathan Majors' performance and charisma at least.

Think it might be time for me to just give up on "keeping up" with these comic movies. I'll see Shazam when it's on VOD and probably Aquaman 2 out of curiosity to see what kind of note the DCU current goes out on, but other than that I guess I'll see everybody at Avengers 5.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
The only thing that made me wonder if this was really the end of the Shazam series with the new Gunn reboot was they left the post credit scenes in. I feel like if this was the swan song, why not remove the 2 stingers that obviously hint at both a Shazam team up and a Shazam 3? just end the movie and send us home.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Super hero movies dont need to be dead. Stallone made a pretty good portrayal of a mediocre super hero fighting just a local baddie. Samaritan sucked overall, but at least it wasnt another "we need to save the world" type of film. its easier to relate to super heroes when they arent facing world/universe destroying villains. everyone loved Nolan's Batman trilogy, Batman was just saving Gotham and thats all he needed to do. Snyder's Superman was saving the world right off the bat and it really wasnt fair to put Supes through that shit where he ended up doing a fucking shit job and let a shitload of people die and had to murder someone. we barely got to know Superman in that movie. you got to let this shit breathe, make Supes start off with Lex Luthor and one of his dumbass schemes, maybe have Luthor in a Gundam suit battle him. it would look like Iron Man, but fuck it, these guys have been stealing from eachother for 80 years, whats one movie gonna make a difference?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Super hero movies dont need to be dead. Stallone made a pretty good portrayal of a mediocre super hero fighting just a local baddie. Samaritan sucked overall, but at least it wasnt another "we need to save the world" type of film. its easier to relate to super heroes when they arent facing world/universe destroying villains. everyone loved Nolan's Batman trilogy, Batman was just saving Gotham and thats all he needed to do. Snyder's Superman was saving the world right off the bat and it really wasnt fair to put Supes through that shit where he ended up doing a fucking shit job and let a shitload of people die and had to murder someone. we barely got to know Superman in that movie. you got to let this shit breathe, make Supes start off with Lex Luthor and one of his dumbass schemes, maybe have Luthor in a Gundam suit battle him. it would look like Iron Man, but fuck it, these guys have been stealing from eachother for 80 years, whats one movie gonna make a difference?

Superhero movies suck because they're being made by people shitty at making movies.

None of it has anything to do with whatever the fuck you're talking about. Nobody's going to "relate" to Superman because he's fighting Lex Luthor for the 500th time

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I'll respectfully disagree with the Drinker here. I wanted this sequel.

Homsar

I wanted the sequel also. I will say the whole turning the kids/family into super heroes always was stupid.

Having a kid with powers is one thing, giving 5 others is dumb.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I enjoyed the first one, but I haven't seen this yet, I will when it's available for streaming. It's not like I don't want to see it.

That said, I agree turning the entire family in heroes isn't great, even though it's something from the comics.

What's interesting about Shazam is the fact that he's a kid into an adult body with all that it entails, turning a bunch of kids into adults dilutes what makes Shazam sorta unique.

They should have kept this for much later, and be more or less a one time thing.

Homsar

I enjoyed the first one, but I haven't seen this yet, I will when it's available for streaming. It's not like I don't want to see it.

That said, I agree turning the entire family in heroes isn't great, even though it's something from the comics.

What's interesting about Shazam is the fact that he's a kid into an adult body with all that it entails, turning a bunch of kids into adults dilutes what makes Shazam sorta unique.

They should have kept this for much later, and be more or less a one time thing.
Levi was perfect for the role and it should have been a Billy movie

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
it's something from the comics.
should always be noted. "its from the comics" has become a completely loaded term. Comics have been overtaken by woke communists since 2005.

Burgerking kids club Shazam family is from the post Flashpoint reboot in 2013. (2013 puts us well past the "something changed in 2011. And comics were far deep in the coolaid long before that even.)

The Marvel family PRIOR to that was just Billy, Mary and Freddy. so, 1942-2013. 71 years..

Fun fact, Mary Marvel predates supergirl by a decade. A direct inspiration for Magical girls in Japan as well.

Freddy actually came first. an injured unrelated boy, Billy shared his powers with to save. Mary was actually his literal sister, separated at birth.

Another fun tidbit from the wiki. for those that Question why Solomon? who is not greek.
Rod Reed, the executive editor of Fawcett comics at the time that Mary Marvel was created, recalled that, originally, the letter "S" in Shazam was to have stood for Sappho. Rather than give his young heroine the questionable powers of a Greek poet from the isle of Lesbos, Reed suggested that Selene, goddess of the moon, might be a more wholesome choice

Now, people didn't HATE the Shazam family reboot overall. the kids club aspect is mostly ok. its not LOVED either though. Billy got it rough. No longer the whiz kid with a heart of gold. Billie is now the abused, greedy kid, who just got powers. Mary is now the much older adopted sister..

Multiversity:Thunderworld is a great revisting of what Captain Marvel/Mary is actually about and like.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yup, Billy and Mary were the only Shazam kids when I was reading comics. This was before the semi-annual universe reboots DC got into for... reasons. Fuck them and fuck that.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Yup, Billy and Mary were the only Shazam kids when I was reading comics. This was before the semi-annual universe reboots DC got into for... reasons. Fuck them and fuck that.
Freddy has been around since the 1940's. Elvis was a huge fan of his and even had an outfit and a Shazam lightning bolt necklace.

did_elvis_presley_like_shazam.jpg

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
View attachment 465567
wasn't there a dog too?
the 3 men here are "lieutenant marvels". in pure silver age sillyness.
3 guys all also named Billy Batson from the U.S. are super fans of the "real" Billy, and go meet him. Billy gives them the powers of shazam as well. cause why not?
tall billy, hill billy, and fat billy.

Uncle marvel doesn't have any powers.
A conman who trys to claim to be Mary's long lost uncle, after reading her good deed ledger and finding out shes mary marvel. They see right through the lie, but decide to keep him around, cause why not?

Hoppy the marvel bunny.
There was a period all the super heroes got super powered pets. WW has kanga the kangaroo.

Tawky tawny is a major marvel character. An upright talking Tiger.

spronk

FPS noob
I really like this new strat of shoveling out movies that failed faster into VOD but it also means now I'm just gonna wait for most movies since this was like ... 3 weeks after release?

(tweet said Shazam will be releasing on VOD April 7th, its currently officially scheduled for April 18th)

Last edited:

Sevens

Log Wizard
Sucks for Levi. I like the first movie a lot and cant wait to see this one. But WB/DC has been making such awful movies lately and then Gunn coming onboard and firing everyone is the problem. Whats the point in paying to see this if you know it has no purpose.
Because its a good movie?
I mean when did movies start having to have a purpose?
I remember going to see Star Wars in the theater and their was no purpose.
Or Back to the Future, or Rocky or or or any other movie. I understand what you are saying about it not having a "purpose" in the DCEU but just enjoy it for what it is.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Because its a good movie?
I mean when did movies start having to have a purpose?
I remember going to see Star Wars in the theater and their was no purpose.
Or Back to the Future, or Rocky or or or any other movie. I understand what you are saying about it not having a "purpose" in the DCEU but just enjoy it for what it is.
You’re literally comparing apples to oranges here. No one knew Star Wars was gonna be a trilogy. We know DC is making a universe with multiple movies and scrapping the current universe. You’re statement is dumb and has no logic behind it.