Sherlock

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I really didn't think the wedding episode was that bad. I thought it was going to be terrible at first, but it developed quite nicely. Surprise mystery.
I wouldn't say it was bad, it just hasn't reach the heights of the first two series. If this was a "normal" program with say 11 episodes I wouldn't mind so much, but when you get 3 episodes a year if you're lucky, each one that turns out to be average quality feels like a missed opportunity.

I have hopes for the last episode coming up. It sounds like they are basing it on one of the original Doyle stories.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Now that was more like it.
smile.png
Hats off to Lars Mikkelson who played the most unpleasant villain I've seen in a while.

And did you miss me indeed. Twin brothers perhaps? Or is someone playing games from beyond the grave...

Citz

Silver Squire
Great episode. Awesome villain.
What was the relationship between head of national security woman and Sherlock? Was Mycroft aware of the deal?

Now it's easier to understand the existance and weirdness of ep 1 & 2. But i'm not sure Moffat should use his doctor who's formula of trying to create emotional attachment + red herring to be able to go all 180 on us (in this case a 360) in order to tell his story. Sherlock's seasons are only 3 episodes.

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
great ep just d/l it and watched it. tbh am really enjoy this 90min show format just feels like like am getting a movie so enjoyable.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Great episode. Awesome villain.
What was the relationship between head of national security woman and Sherlock? Was Mycroft aware of the deal?
I was wondering that too, because you'd think that she could have done a little more for him than just going along with Mycroft's mission-of-certain-death, considering:
smallwood.png

I expected more to come from that 'blink and you missed it' newspaper headline.

And I for one did not miss him at all. I was a bit concerned about what they were doing at first, but in the end I liked this season in its entirety more than either of the previous ones. S02E01 is still the best episode though.

Szlia

I must say there was some good parts in the episode and some very funny lines (even if some did not fit the characters so well), but ultimately there was almost no investigation and a lot of shark jumping.

spronk

FPS noob
It was a bit weird seeing Sherlock flummoxed constantly, from Mrs. Watson to German Rupert Murdoch and yeah there were very little classic Doyle Sherlock-moments. Still, I hate it when shows just recycle the same constant shit over and over so I gotta give big props to these guys for taking Sherlock in directions others would have been afraid too, and it mostly worked.

I still like the more asshole/House Sherlock of seasons 1 & 2, but if they don't ever make any more seasons (yeah I know they wanna do 4 & 5) this seems like a good place to have stopped.

Did they ever explain why Mrs. Watson suddenly decided to go all assassin-y? I guess the bad guys explanation at the end was that he wanted Mycroft's secrets, Holmes was his lever, Watson was Sherlock's lever, and Mrs. Watson was John's lever, so I guess he must have got in touch with Mrs Watson. But that plan didn't even work (laptop delivery), so what was the point of setting all that up anyways... the bad guy just seems like the kind of guy that should have died long ago, its a bit dumb to think he could have really threatened that many powerful people before one of them just wipes him out.

Woulda loved to have seen more Mycroft scenes, in the book canon is he much smarter than Sherlock? What was that throwaway line at the end about a third sibling?

Kaio

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Going down the chain then Mrs. Watson becomes Mycroft's lever as well and so if he has something on Mycroft directly via the laptop then his need for Mrs. Watson diminishes and he can let her go. That was Sherlock's original plan anyway.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
It was a bit weird seeing Sherlock flummoxed constantly, from Mrs. Watson to German Rupert Murdoch and yeah there were very little classic Doyle Sherlock-moments. Still, I hate it when shows just recycle the same constant shit over and over so I gotta give big props to these guys for taking Sherlock in directions others would have been afraid too, and it mostly worked.

I still like the more asshole/House Sherlock of seasons 1 & 2, but if they don't ever make any more seasons (yeah I know they wanna do 4 & 5) this seems like a good place to have stopped.

Did they ever explain why Mrs. Watson suddenly decided to go all assassin-y? I guess the bad guys explanation at the end was that he wanted Mycroft's secrets, Holmes was his lever, Watson was Sherlock's lever, and Mrs. Watson was John's lever, so I guess he must have got in touch with Mrs Watson. But that plan didn't even work (laptop delivery), so what was the point of setting all that up anyways... the bad guy just seems like the kind of guy that should have died long ago, its a bit dumb to think he could have really threatened that many powerful people before one of them just wipes him out.

Woulda loved to have seen more Mycroft scenes, in the book canon is he much smarter than Sherlock? What was that throwaway line at the end about a third sibling?
in the books Mycroft is quite a bit smarter, on a few occasions when Sherlock gets stumped, he brings in Mycroft to help him out. what he lacks is Sherlock's ambition, Mycroft is happy with his government position.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
He was the person behind Watson being put in the bonfire in ep.1 so most likely she found out about it. At the time he hadn't looked into who she really was, there's a scene in ep.3 where he goes searching through his 'mind palace' for her info after she came to kill him. I think his plan with the laptop was that either Mycroft would do what he wanted or he'd print in the newspaper that Sherlock came to him selling state secrets.

I do agree that it seems unlikely he would have survived very long as a blackmailer if he was as careless with everyone as he was with Mary and Sherlock.

And Sherlock looking flummoxed is how you figure out the twists. It was obvious that his vault was a 'mind palace' the moment the glasses were revealed to be ordinary--much earlier really, since the spiral staircases gave it away, but the scene in the restaurant is when you know that Sherlock knows. They try to fool the viewer into thinking that Sherlock missed something in almost every episode, and you just have to remember that Sherlock always knows everything.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
I do agree that it seems unlikely he would have survived very long as a blackmailer if he was as careless with everyone as he was with Mary and Sherlock.
He was under Mycroft's protection. Mycroft warned Sherlock off him, and said something like "he's just a businessman, not a murderer, and occasionally useful." Magnussen used his influence for his own business ends, and was capable of doing deals - when he visited Baker Street that was ostensibly a negotiation for the letters and pictures thought to be in his possession. I'm sure politicians and the secret services would have been more than happy to pick his brains, in exchange for favours.

Mary would have been an unusual target for him, he dealt more with people in positions of government who tend not to be in the business of killing people.

I wonder if Mary was one of the people Moriarty had waiting to kill Watson?

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
There are many levels of awesome on TV but this latest episode is beyond epic. What they've managed to create in 9 episodes has been such an enjoyable experience and I can only dream that they can keep this alive for another season.

Krag

Peasant
They are planning another season, it's mostly scheduling that is making things uncertain I think.

The first episode this season got too hung up on the whole "how did Sherlock fake his death" thing and I didn't think it held up. The last two were really good though and made up for it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The first episode this season got too hung up on the whole "how did Sherlock fake his death" thing and I didn't think it held up.
With the way the finale ended, I'm worried that the first episode of next season will be more of the same.

Krag

Peasant
With the way the finale ended, I'm worried that the first episode of next season will be more of the same.
Yeah, I'm hoping they don't spend too much time on it. They could sort of hand wave it away and just say it was yet another contingency plan set in motion by Sherlock in case he wasn't successful at Magnussen's house. He already knew about the undercover mission, so he could feasibly have anticipated he'd get sent on it if he failed.

I'd rather see a quick if goofy reasoning than spending half of one of the precious few episodes on trying for the perfect explanation (unless it's actually an active part of a new case unlike the first episode this season).