should we remove nets

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Most people don't really care about nets, and with good reason. They're like Facebook "Likes", an effortless gesture that expresses a minimal level of appreciation. If loopholes are exploited to boost people's net count, it doesn't really bother anyone because what difference does it make anyway?

On the other hand, people do and should care about negs, also with good reason. When we see someone with a high neg count, it generally tells us this person is a troll or otherwise a very offensive and disruptive person. When the system is abused and 3 or so people gang up and repeatedly neg a single person day after day after day, they effectively hang a scarlet letter on that user whether it's warranted or not. This harassment effectively shapes how every other user will see the target poster and worse, sets up that target poster for further abuse from other users just looking for a punching bag.

It was a lot harder to exploit negs and nets before the system changed, which makes me wonder why it changed in the first place. There's nothing wrong with being able to express agreement or disagreement, and there's nothing wrong with users amassing plenty of either and having that reflect their contribution to the board. When that system can be exploited, however, it may seem harmless to most who give each other extra pats on the back, but it really really sucks for the guy who ends up with a huge neg count because a few assholes with enormous chips on their shoulders decided that bullying is easier and more satisfying than actually arguing with the target poster over whatever.

Free nets? Great! While I was far more proud of my earned 36 nets than I am of whatever I'm at now, at least people won't see my net count and assume I'm a Lumie-level troll. Once Netmas is over, however, and especially once Hodj shows his face again, I have zero doubt that my net count will once again plummet to the negatives, because that's just how petty some people are. If we could go back to net count actually reflecting good or bad posters instead of being heavily exploited to effectively "create" a reputation (good or bad), we'd have a system worth something.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Most people don't really care about nets, and with good reason. They're like Facebook "Likes", an effortless gesture that expresses a minimal level of appreciation. If loopholes are exploited to boost people's net count, it doesn't really bother anyone because what difference does it make anyway?

On the other hand, people do and should care about negs, also with good reason. When we see someone with a high neg count, it generally tells us this person is a troll or otherwise a very offensive and disruptive person. When the system is abused and 3 or so people gang up and repeatedly neg a single person day after day after day, they effectively hang a scarlet letter on that user whether it's warranted or not. This harassment effectively shapes how every other user will see the target poster and worse, sets up that target poster for further abuse from other users just looking for a punching bag.

It was a lot harder to exploit negs and nets before the system changed, which makes me wonder why it changed in the first place. There's nothing wrong with being able to express agreement or disagreement, and there's nothing wrong with users amassing plenty of either and having that reflect their contribution to the board. When that system can be exploited, however, it may seem harmless to most who give each other extra pats on the back, but it really really sucks for the guy who ends up with a huge neg count because a few assholes with enormous chips on their shoulders decided that bullying is easier and more satisfying than actually arguing with the target poster over whatever.

Free nets? Great! While I was far more proud of my earned 36 nets than I am of whatever I'm at now, at least people won't see my net count and assume I'm a Lumie-level troll. Once Netmas is over, however, and especially once Hodj shows his face again, I have zero doubt that my net count will once again plummet to the negatives, because that's just how petty some people are. If we could go back to net count actually reflecting good or bad posters instead of being heavily exploited to effectively "create" a reputation (good or bad), we'd have a system worth something.
Says the faggot who ran and hid after getting rrp'd and getting negged. The only reason to keep nets is so people can neg you and only you.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I like being able to plus someone to let them know I laughed at the picture they posted or appreciated their thoughts. I almost never neg someone unless they ask for it though (I don't retribution neg either, even if I think you're retarded, because that's just gay), so I suppose that I'm not utilizing nets the way they should be. I also appreciate getting a "real" plus as opposed to one that is clearly just freeing someone up to plus their buddies again.

I'd almost rather see something post-specific though, like down at the bottom of each post is a "Thanks" button or a thumbs up or something, to show that I like that specific post, and I can see if others liked it as well. I would imagine that would also necessitate the implementation of a thumbs down or "Shitpost" button perhaps, which would then get abused too I'm sure, but I don't really care if it does either, we'd all see who is doing it as opposed to having to go click on someone's profile to see instead. And to be honest, shitposting is part of what makes this board great (sometimes).

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Personally, I like the Nets. There is a clear correlation between posting quality and nets (with the exception of those that glean all their nets from screenshots) and when browsing through a thread I'll usually focus on the posts with the highest 'nets first. It's a system that encourages and rewards quality posts, what's wrong with that?

Now, I have no knowledge of any abuse, favoritism, etc that is mentioned in this thread, and it doesn't really interest me. Taken at face value, with no "taint", nets is a positive system imho. If there are issues with the way the system is administered/managed, fix that, but no need to throw out the whole car because someone shat on the upholstery.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I posted in that netsmas thread thinking I'd get +1 from the OP... Then I got 40 of them. I would prefer if all the ones I got from that thread could be deleted, but I'm sure that's a pain in the ass.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I only neg...when negged
Thats my biggest problem with the current system. I negged someone for being an asshole to someone else on the forum for no apparent reason. The guy gets several negs for it and he then negs every single person back. Although we've came to the point where we'll just call each other out within the thread now, it was just much more convenient to call someone a jack ass in a neg comment and move on without shitting up a thread because someones got Sand in their Vagina that day, anonymously. Before this incident, I used to think this would cut down on random negs and it did. But now your average person wont even neg another person simply out of not wanting to deal with the hassle or drama.

Turning Nets into a Commodity is one idea. Another idea is for a user to receive a single +net or a -net would be to accumulate several within one post. For example: You have to receive three -negs or +nets on a particular post by three different people before those points are applied to the receiving user. If only a single user Negs you, then you obviously only offended that particular person. To me, personal vendetta is not what the system is about and thats what needs to be changed. Another rule set for giving Nets and Negs should be that you have at least 50 posts before you can distribute either. Connecting +nets and -negs to the amount of activity you have within the Community is a step in the right direction, too.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The people have spoken. I hereby declare that 2014 will bring a new, nets free, era to this community.