Shroud Of The Avatar - Shit Went Persistent

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What's this thread about anyway and should I merge it with the Shroud of the Avatar thread in the Other Games forum?
It's about now game companies/developers want players to foot development cost now along with paying for the game + subs/cash shops if there are any.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yes, exactly. Cutting out the middle man? Could be worse. They could take EA's money.

There's going to be a lot of scams to come out of Kickstarter. Lots. Lets not underestimate how many blatant scams are going to come out of this bullshit, how many have already come out of it. Lets not ignore that the current generation of big names are going to directly exploit their fanbois for profit in a way that they have been unable to do before. Lets look at it honestly. However I expect there will also be titles that would not (and maybe even could not) have been delivered to the market any other way.

You're looking for the next EQ / Baldurs Gate / Fallout / Iconic computer game? It's going to come from here.

It's a high price to pay, but unless you honestly think Assassins Creed: Creed of the Assassin Four was a good game, or that Madden 2014 is indispensable -- it's the price that has to be paid. The big production houses just aren't interested in makinggamesanymore. They're making computer movies.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Looks good... Same problem as all Garriot games though. Total dork-outs with very limited appeal.
Wait, isn't that exactly what this entire board is clamoring for? Someone to make a MMO true to their "vision", and let it be niche?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I wouldnt consider a game you can run on your own server, play single player (assuming offline) or mod to your liking an MMO.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Ah, I'm not as up-to-date on things. I assumed this was an MMO. Didn't realize it was more like....I guess the Minecraft options?

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Wait, isn't that exactly what this entire board is clamoring for? Someone to make a MMO true to their "vision", and let it be niche?
I'm more referring to the overall tone of the game and how it relates to lore and the world. I don't think many people, even here, are into the whole, 'What ho traveler? How fare the roads this morn?!'. At the end of the day, even us hardcore MMO fans don't want a game that is bland.

EQ and WoW had a couple things going for it, but IMO at their core, the content was very interesting. Worlds created by giant crystalline dragons or Titans trotting around the universe. Pantheons of Gods who created races where you could invade the planes in which they reside. Varied, non-standard races with behemoth structures, unique technologies and beliefs.

Running around 'New Brittania' crafting tea cozies, while certainly true to a vision, is something I'm certainly not all that interested in. As good as Vanguard's mechanics were, I think this is an area where it also failed. The world was just not as entertaining or interesting as the competition.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
this isn't a mmo.
rrr_img_48817.jpg

be a lot cooler if it was.

Gecko_sl

shitlord

Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills | Shroud of the Avatar Forum

Hello Everyone,

As we have described previously we want Shroud of the Avatar to be a classless system that allows players to define and play any role they choose. We also want a clear path for growth and specialization while also maintaining opportunities for competition and cooperation. This is our current thinking on how to accomplish those goals. Remember this is just current thinking and we will probably change many of these details. Note that we use the term "skill" to cover all player abilities including spells, combat moves, etc.

NOTE: This post is not going to delve into our combat system but we will be posting more information about that soon.

Stats:
There are 3 Base Stats: Strength, Dexterity, and Intelligence that work as you would expect. There are 3 Calculated Stats: Health, Defense, and Focus (aka Mana).

Advancement:
Players gain two kinds of experience (Crafting and Adventuring) based on the kind of activities they are doing. Players level up in either Crafting or Adventuring at certain experience point totals. When players level up they get skill points and increases to their stats. The players can use those skill points to learn skills from a trainer. There are no classes so players can spend skill points on any kind of skill as long as they meet the prerequisites (almost always a preceding skill in a tree).

Skills System:
There are Active Skills (yellow) and Innate Skills (white). Active skills are used by the player during combat to produce a desired effect (fireball, heal, parry, etc.). Innate Skills are on all the time and increase the effects (power, range, etc.) of all skills in the school. Adding skill points to an Innate Skill increases the effect of that innate skill. This has the knock off effect of eliminating the need to pump Active Skills. Adding skill points to Active Skills increases the number of copies of that skill the player has therefore increasing the frequency that skill will appear during combat. There are "hidden" Active Skills that can only be used by doing combos with skills during combat.

Damage Types:
There are 6 damage types (with corresponding resistances)

• Physical: Armor provides most protection against. Weapons, Poison, etc.
  • Magical: Tends to ignore armor. Encompasses magical damage not covered by an elemental type
  • Electrical: Stuns targets. Lightning, static charges, etc.
  • Cold: Slows targets. Ice, Snow, etc.
  • Heat: Does damage over time. Fire, Radiant energy (like the sun), etc.
  • Chaotic: Impossible to resist

MAGIC SCHOOLS AND SKILLS
Here is the current lists of magic schools and skills. We want each school of magic to have a theme and some interactions with other magic schools (either cooperative or versus). All Active magic spells require reagents. All names are placeholder.
If possible can you rename this thread or merge it with the other. The kickstarter part is long dead, and the game itself is actually interesting.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Just think of this as Ultima. Not Ultima Online, but Ultima. He fell so far, he now needs to just make a good RPG and that needs to be successful. Only then does he have a chance to make another MMO.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
im really intrerested in it, I just hope they town down The Sims content. I am fine with having some sandbox elements, but something I hope people dont forget is that an actual "sandbox" is for 5 year old toddlers. I don't want a virual dolls house, custom pants or a player crafted mahogany armoir for my virtual bedroom in my virtual house. I want to kill bandits and dragons and shit.

Ugh, I don't miss UO's inventory. Why bring that back?
Early Access Schedule | Shroud of the Avatar Forum

SotA_sl said:
RELEASE 1: December 12 - December 14, 2013

• Bag Inventory: This is a hot topic in the forums so we want to get it in your hands for feedback on preferences. Immersion vs. ease of use, let the battle begin!

RELEASE 2: January 24 - January 26 2014
  • List Inventory: For those who prefer spreadsheets to immersion. The inventory battle royale continues!
Not set in stone, apparently. I think nostalgia prevents me from hating bag inventories... then again, I always make a macro to make management less tedious. The whole housing thing has never been my cup of tea either, but for a lot of people it seems to be a major fantasy. The appeal of running and decorating your own shop is easier to understand. Dunno if that's connected to housing or not.

I'm hopeful, though completely uninterested in the multiplayer aspect.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The whole housing thing has never been my cup of tea either, but for a lot of people it seems to be a major fantasy. The appeal of running and decorating your own shop is easier to understand. Dunno if that's connected to housing or not.
I've been longing for MMO's to incorporate UO's player housing since its demise. It was great. I never had a house, because I got into the game pretty late, but my friends did and I loved being able to visit and experience housing vicariously through them. They really nailed house sizes, especially keeps. I also liked that there were only like 2 castles per server.

However, I think this game went too far in the direction of gluttony when it comes to housing. I mean, some of those places are stupid big, especially the "pay to win" house at the end of that video... It's WTF huge.

SWG came pretty close, but for whatever reason their housing system felt pretty removed. I think it was because you could only plant them in the middle of nowhere and when you ran up on a town in Tatooine or Corelia, it just felt...forced?

I don't know. Anyone agree or disagree?

Yeah, a lot of the auxiliary stuff associated with housing is cool. Having a base away from the main cities for you and your friends to keep supplies and such is something I always appreciated. Being able to stake out a territory and develop relationships and communities gave a sense of permanence, investment, and identity to the world, too. IDOCs were also awesome natural community events, allowing people who had left the game to contribute majorly even after they were gone. Of course, players losing all their shit was a great way to ensure many would never come back. Loot was more transient in that game though. Plus, like you say, they were really badass status symbols.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, a lot of the auxiliary stuff associated with housing is cool. Having a base away from the main cities for you and your friends to keep supplies and such is something I always appreciated. Being able to stake out a territory and develop relationships and communities gave a sense of permanence, investment, and identity to the world, too. IDOCs were also awesome natural community events, allowing people who had left the game to contribute majorly even after they were gone. Of course, players losing all their shit was a great way to ensure many would never come back. Loot was more transient in that game though. Plus, like you say, they were really badass status symbols.
Some of my most vivid memories are of walking around Tramel where one of my friends had a ghetto house and checking the merchants for gear I needed. One day I went by to visit my friend and see if he was home and he was...but when I walked into his tower (smaller keep right?), the entire floor was covered in bandages and he was standing in the middle of it, LOL, continuing to make bandages.

I left and went to get another one of my friends and when we showed up, he was still making bandages. It was hilariously weird.

It's stupid memories like this that make MMO's fun, not instanced content on rails.
frown.png
Oh UO, you took my childhood with you!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Most of the memories I have about housing in UO involved griefing, stacking those items(books I think? boxes maybe) that actually had volume to make a stair to walk into the open courtyard of blacksmith houses and looting them since most people didn't lock the inner doors, walking through the stairs of a small house to get through the floor, telling the guild leader of an enemy guild that we wanted to discuss a ceasefire then stealthing and snooping in his bags to steal the key to the house while he was talking to my GM and opening a portal straight to our guild house and emptying their guild house while they were still talking, stealing runes to blocked keeps entrances(could use small houses all around the entrance to create an artificial wall) then camping them there using a bunch of people on the steps to prevent them from being able to shove their way through into their houses before they died, raiding the player run cities during their roleplay events, and so on and so forth.

My own house was just the small 9x9 houses with a bunch of chests stacked on top of each other and a polar bear in a corner blocked by jewelry boxes. Efficiency motherfucker.

Mostly the good memories of UO came from the lack of rules and player interactions, not so much housing. Housing provided a sandbox element and a way to create artificial points of interest in the game, but could care less about it as a whole.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
The only thing I remember of UO was that it was so hard, I didn't know ANYTHING about how to play it. The entire experience was all about learning what to do. I used some spells and then I was out of components and had to go hunting for them. Then some dude ran up to me and killed me and I had to learn how to survive. Part of the problem with modern games (especially MMO's) is that they all play the same way, so once you've played one you've played them all. There are only a few little things you need to learn, mostly just mousing over your hotkeys to see what your spells do or whatever, but other than that, most games are barely any different.

It would be so great to play something that is totally new and scary again and you haven't got a clue where to begin and spend your whole time asking people stuff and googling. But I haven't had an experience like that since the 90's.