Silicon Valley

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Richard being autistic may be lazy writing but it's pretty true to form. I know quite a few people like him in my line of work. The social retard with a God complex phenomenon is real.

It's infuriating to deal with in day to day life and surprisingly almost as aggravating to watch on TV.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Richard being autistic may be lazy writing but it's pretty true to form. I know quite a few people like him in my line of work. The social retard with a God complex phenomenon is real.

It's infuriating to deal with in day to day life and surprisingly almost as aggravating to watch on TV.
It's not much better to deal with on these forums.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
The aggravating thing about this discussion, is I agree with your conclusion that the show has weak writing with resetting everything.. just none of your reasoning for that specific example. You keep acting like a good UI is just something you can pull off google.. it's not.. at all. There's a reason large companies have entire departments dedicated to just that one thing. Graphic design and usability is a real thing that is VERY important. It wasn't the actual LOOK of the UI that was the problem, they didn't give them a damn DOS prompt without any graphics, ffs. It was that the entire thing was not setup to be user friendly to an average joe at any level from the start.

The basic premise of 'UI redesign costs money, we don't have money, no one will give us money if we don't prove we made a good product already' was one of the few times their writing actually did make sense realistically. They had already established that his great compression was only one part of a successful product. It didn't trump everything else. Richard turning down funding for all kinds of ridiculous reasons is where the lazy writing tended to come in.

No one is saying that sleek intelligent UIs don't cost money. Nobody is saying they couldn't have improved upon the UI once they had money coming in and could afford to do it.

They didn't need an amazing UI for their platform to work, stop pretending that they did. They needed a simple google UI (blank white page with 2-3 buttons on it) for it to be user accessible, period. Then they could of fancied it up with a real UI design team later when they were rolling in fucking dough.

Here's the UI they released:

interface_large.jpg

Here is what they needed:

RedesignFull.png

Really all they needed was a blank white page with 3 buttons on it. "upload"/up arrow Icon, "Library"/media icon, and "Settings"/cog wheel icon.

There was no reason to show the end user how the sausage was made. All they needed was a way to add their media to their pied piper app, a way to view the media already loaded in their pied piper app, and a button to get to a small handful of the settings made available in their full retard UI they actually launched with.

They needed a right click context menu addition when not in the app that said "Add to Pied Piper Library" and they needed another right click context menu addition when viewing files in the library that said "Download for offline use"

There was no reason for the end user to know that the files in his library were super compressed bits and bytes and 99% of the actual files were dispersed across a p2p network with other users of the app. All the end user need to know is that when he uploads shit to his pied piper account on 1 app that shit is available pretty much instantly on any other app he has logged in to Pied Piper/has the pied piper app on. He doesn't need to know he's using up his cell data usage or any of that shit with the p2p shit. All he needs to know that the files on his phone are now shrunk to fuck and he has tons of storage space for other shit and pictures of his cats, and that if he wants to watch movies or whatever on his phone with his pied piper app he needs wifi or cell connection, so he better make the files available for offline viewing before he gets on an airplane or goes out in to the sticks.

They should of called the Network the Super Cloud or the Magic Cloud or some fancy branding Name to denote that shits "in the cloud, but not the regular cloud, the instantly available to you on any device you want with virtually no waiting even for massively large files" cloud.

And that's it. app is instant success.

Last edited:
  • 2Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Haha iTunes? Really? You posted iTunes as an example of what they needed? One of the worst piece of garbage applications ever created?

• 6Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think we also said it at the time but they should have just cloned dropbox with middle out, and licensed middle out to apple/google to use to compress the actual contents of the phones/data going to the phones in the first place.

If your genius is your algorithm then just monetize that and be careful not to give away your proprietary method. Why try to be google when you're 5 guys living at Erlich's house?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
this show is not supposed to be too realistic and people getting angry about certain aspects not being feasible IRL need to be reminded of that.
nobody says anything when a sitcom retcons itslf every episode. those shows can go on for decades successfully. people have used gilligan's island as an analogy for this, but they could use basically any TV show. seinfeld for instance, very funny show. very successful show. completely ridiculous and non feasible IRL. with some exceptions had very few consequences that extended past an episode or two. people even complained it had jumped the shark a few times, but i saw it as becoming more zany in order to keep topping themselves and prevent itself from becoming stale. does anyone here really want to watch a show about 5 billionaires/multi millionaires who work in posh offices and crunch numbers all day?

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
I think we also said it at the time but they should have just cloned dropbox with middle out, and licensed middle out to apple/google to use to compress the actual contents of the phones/data going to the phones in the first place.

If your genius is your algorithm then just monetize that and be careful not to give away your proprietary method. Why try to be google when you're 5 guys living at Erlich's house?
If they were going for realism season 2 starts with them heading to Netflix corporate headquarters and either adding their algorithm in to the html netflix player (java/flash/silverlight/whatever it is) or designing a new media player for netflix using their algorithm.

Netflix is like 30% of all internet traffic. reducing their bandwidth costs to 1/3 makes them dumptrucks full of money in perpetuity. Then Season 2, episode 2 (ok, ok, lets say it takes a full season for this to come in to play, hilarious antics included right?), so lets say Season 3 episode 1 starts with Richard playing Erlich's role as host of the incubator in a slightly better house (like Bighead had for all of 2 minutes in that 1 episode) to a new batch of kids and their new idea.

That's how you reset the show continuously without being fucking retarded about it.

Khane

Haha Sylas just stop watching the show. The entire show has been about everyone else trying to get Richard to see that he should just be selling his algorithm or using it in pragmatic, wanted ways. Instead he refuses and fucks everyone's payday up over and over again trying to build his dream because he thinks he's a lot smarter than he actually is.

Kind of like you.

Go sync your iPod to iTunes and bask in the glory of software perfection.

• 1Worf

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
hows your "where'd i park" app coming along there Khane? I know it's too early yet but eventually plebs will see your genius

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
I had to go back a few pages to see if he was the same guy that had a hard on for shark jumping, but that was @Noble Savage

Isn't there a Big Bang Theory thread you guys can use as a toilet?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i do admire Sylas for keeping it real, but its kinda unnecessary in a thread about a TV comedy. like dude,did you get upset that george costanza was hooking up with chicks like marisa tomei?

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
His presentation and demeanor is annoying as fuck, but I agree with his premise. I thought richard/bighead/whoever running their own incubator was one of the directions they were actually going at one point. I figured them moving into a swanky office and it being them vs 'the boss' was a direction they could have explored further. There are all kinds of ways they could have the guys 'succeed' and it not make it a boring show. Instead, they keep having them reset back to zero over and over, and that's the problem. Especially when you compound it with the jokes being less and less funny. If the show was still hilarious, it wouldn't matter the setting.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I think the genre of Pure Cringe comedy is just isnt as funny the writers think it is, Last Man on Earth has the same problem, and so did Eastbound and Down. Having the Protagonist constantly shooting themselves in the dick every step of the way gets boring,.

Richard winning the lawsuit vs. Hooli was the only victory I can think of on the entire show. The most entertaining parts of SV are all the B-plots IMO. It's really hard to root for a character who can only ever self-sabotage.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Khane

I think there was a sweeping consensus in this thread about halfway through season three that the constant, magnificent failures were annoying and detracted from the show.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If they were going for realism season 2 starts with them heading to Netflix corporate headquarters and either adding their algorithm in to the html netflix player (java/flash/silverlight/whatever it is) or designing a new media player for netflix using their algorithm.

Netflix is like 30% of all internet traffic. reducing their bandwidth costs to 1/3 makes them dumptrucks full of money in perpetuity. Then Season 2, episode 2 (ok, ok, lets say it takes a full season for this to come in to play, hilarious antics included right?), so lets say Season 3 episode 1 starts with Richard playing Erlich's role as host of the incubator in a slightly better house (like Bighead had for all of 2 minutes in that 1 episode) to a new batch of kids and their new idea.

That's how you reset the show continuously without being fucking retarded about it.

Agreed, it should have just been the guys going through the various phases of silicon valley as a group and making the requisite jokes about each one and showing the absurdities of each.

After those guys run the incubator for a while and introduce some new cast mates (and exit some that don't work) then one of the ideas makes it big and the guys are now tech CEO's. Then after a season or two of that, they're bought out (or fail) and use their cash to do ____. Maybe they're on the VC side, maybe they go back to being developers.

Instead we get an attempt at a Season 1 rehash every season, and implausibly they have to reset the situation every time.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
Agreed, it should have just been the guys going through the various phases of silicon valley as a group and making the requisite jokes about each one and showing the absurdities of each.

After those guys run the incubator for a while and introduce some new cast mates (and exit some that don't work) then one of the ideas makes it big and the guys are now tech CEO's. Then after a season or two of that, they're bought out (or fail) and use their cash to do ____. Maybe they're on the VC side, maybe they go back to being developers.

Instead we get an attempt at a Season 1 rehash every season, and implausibly they have to reset the situation every time.
agreed, and said better than I did. Showing each stage from garage to tech CEO to VC, showing growth of each character, and adding new younger guys to play the other roles, showing all the angles and pointing out the absurdity of each. Could of been 2 seasons per "stage" while cycling in new cast members and exiting any that aren't working out, as you said.

Eventually, by season 6 or 7 when contract renewal negotiations start to become an issue, you land at Richard become Peter Gabriel and Elrich becoming Russ Hanneman, maybe the paki dude ends up as the Gavin Belson type. You've got 3-4 seasons of another "Fresh batch" of incubee's starting the become successful in their own right and you can either end the show or just let the new cast take over.

Khane

It was Peter Gregory, not Peter Gabriel. Though I wouldn't mind a little Sledgehammer in my Silicon Valley