Skyrim

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
Budos, what does a high alteration do?

Nuday, I think just about everything works well on normal difficulty. Odds are that if you had the same amount of focus on using weapons as you did magic you'd just be running around two shotting everything.
The perks are really strong:

Mage Armor (3) Alteration 30, Apprentice Alteration Protection spells like Stoneflesh are 2x as strong if not wearing armor (+.5x per additional rank)

Magic Resistance (3) Alteration 30, Apprentice Alteration Blocks 10% of a spells effect (+10% per additional rank)

The 'flesh' lines are really strong with, or without armor. On my last play through as an orc heavy armor / 2h user I would use alteration and restoration to basically be a super tank. Without armor and grabbing the perks Ironflesh (Adept spell) would give you 160 armor.

Also the Expert and Master spells are really strong: Paralyze (Expert), Mass Paralysis (Master), & Dragonhide (Master) ignores 80% of incoming physical damage -- I'm not sure if the double effectiveness perk works with Dragonhide, only the ones that grant straight armor.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
See the problem is that mitigation isn't a problem, dps is. Someday I'll put together a full destruction set and see what kind of damage I can do, but currently I don't think that SkyRe alone makes magic balanced with melee.

Is magic useful? Yes of course it is. I don't even see a usable spec that doesn't make heavy use of the restoration tree. The problem is really limited to the destruction tree that doesn't scale well.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
See the problem is that mitigation isn't a problem, dps is. Someday I'll put together a full destruction set and see what kind of damage I can do, but currently I don't think that SkyRe alone makes magic balanced with melee.

Is magic useful? Yes of course it is. I don't even see a usable spec that doesn't make heavy use of the restoration tree. The problem is really limited to the destruction tree that doesn't scale well.
I agree 100%. There was a mod out there before that scaled magic based on the skill in it; I have no clue what it was called, but there are some mods like that. Most of the major mods don't really do much to help magic be viable which is disappointing.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Agonizing if you are using mod manager then you should have first download/imported the mods into it then you have to use the check boxes under BSA/esp's to enable them then you click the run button in mod manager (which should be tied to skyrim script extender not the skyrim executable)

If running skyre an easy way to know it is working is start a new game. The "a respec potion has been added to your inventory ..." always pops up for me on a new game with skyre.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Holy shit Sun Dragons in Deadly Dragons are nasty.
5107875-1355218997.jpg

I asked myself "What's the solution to simply breaking LoS with a dragon?" the answer is to make a dragon that creates mini-suns that spawn directly above the players head and launch solar flares that melt their face.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Key to making destruction work is alchemy. You can shit out potions that are +100% to spell damage for X seconds once you level it up decently enough. Those potions mean you can pretty much just chain lightning anything you want in to oblivion in a couple casts.

Got a bunch of realism mods like camping and shit from first page. Frostblood etc. Makes this game much better tbh. Deadly Dragons/Mobs as well.
My biggest issue so far I got SkyTest that is suppose to make wild animals better and 99% the time a fucking funny runs circles around my feet.... Elk walk into mountains and shit.

Any other decent realism mods?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So yes, ASIS' ability to increase spawns works. And yes, testing it by multiplying all spawns by 9 is hilarious. The bug that happened in Oblivion when this happened where NPC's AI would just turn off is in skyrim too, though.

Defend_sl

shitlord
So for the guy looking for a way to "balance" weight carrying. Uncapper has a way to grant your character additional carry capacity based on what skill (magic/health/stamina) you choose on level up. I usually set like 10 for stamina which I think feels right. Yes at higher levels you can have like 700+ cap but if you've invested properly I think it makes sense.

For the magic discussion... Conjuration is by far the most op (on master difficulty). I decided to make a hunter type character that used magic pets and basically was able to just keep conjuring pets over and over and let them do most of the work. It makes it really possible to invest the time in a dead is dead character. Conjuration with skyre is just way op. I supplemented with destruction and resto and it was just insane. Once you get high enough to get two pets, just forget it, you are invincible.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Currently installling the SkyRe mod, is there no working compilation of graphic improvements? I took a look at the STEP site linked in this thread, but that one is absolute bonkers; i'm not going to sit down and install 150 single mods piece by piece and fight my way through the almost inevitable errors.