Smartphones

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
thoughts on the screen?
Fine so far. The blue shift on tilt doesn't bother me, hopefully I don't have any burn-in issues. Screen is always on, alarm icon probably the best candidate.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wonder what percentage of people would actually notice the color temperature and stuff that they are talking about on the Pixel 2. I swear the phone review sites make a big deal about some of the dumbest shit and then people read that stuff and act like they actually care about it. I haven't personally seen the screen so it could actually be a big deal but I really think reading all these gadget blogs makes people pay attention to shit that they should not care about at all.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Glad i went with the Pixel 2 instead of the XL. A Gigantic phone is just not for me. Loving the hell out of it so far. The camera is just...i'm blown away that i can take pics that good on a cellphone.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I wonder what percentage of people would actually notice the color temperature and stuff that they are talking about on the Pixel 2. I swear the phone review sites make a big deal about some of the dumbest shit and then people read that stuff and act like they actually care about it. I haven't personally seen the screen so it could actually be a big deal but I really think reading all these gadget blogs makes people pay attention to shit that they should not care about at all.
Yeah, hard to say but with multiple issues coming up 'all of a sudden' i figured better safe than sorry for now.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Glad i went with the Pixel 2 instead of the XL. A Gigantic phone is just not for me. Loving the hell out of it so far. The camera is just...i'm blown away that i can take pics that good on a cellphone.

This is the one thing that bugs me about the Pixel 2 vs the 2 XL. Due the huge bezels on the 2, it is only 0.3" narrower and 0.5" shorter than the XL.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
After a day of using it, the different 'tone' of color is really noticable, especially staring at computer monitors all day and then using the phone.

Switched to TMobile today. I already miss Hangouts.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Google responds to Pixel 2 issues: Extended warranty and updates

Pretty much addresses all of the issues:

Google Hardware product management VP Mario Queiroz announced that it's expanding the base warranty to two years (from one) for all Pixel 2s, while reiterating that despite reports, Google believes the Pixel 2 XL's display is aging similarly to other OLED panels.

Engineering VP Seang Chau dug deeper into the device's display characteristics, as well as Google's plan for software updates that will do more to combat image retention by adding a new fade-out for the nav bar buttons and reduce the Pixel 2 XL's maximum brightness slightly. It's also updating both Pixel 2 devices to support a new "saturated" color mode that Google says will be less accurate but may satisfy users expecting a more vibrant look.​

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Fine so far. The blue shift on tilt doesn't bother me, hopefully I don't have any burn-in issues. Screen is always on, alarm icon probably the best candidate.
Does the blue shift seem to happen at a smaller tilt than other phones you have/had?

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
Yeah it does. I don't remember any shift like that noticeable enough in any phone I've used to even make me remember it, but it 100% doesn't bother me. The undersaturation is probably my biggest issue with the screen.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have had my Pixel 2 XL since Wednesday and I love it. I'm not sure what Samsung does to android on their phones, but I absolutely hated it on my galaxy, however, I'm totally digging this version of it. It is very quick, and the keyboard does not suck ass, and the thing is just super comfy to hold. First couple of days, the battery seemed to race to the bottom, but after making some tweaks, here I am, nearly 9 hours since taking it off the charger, and I'm still at 91% battery. My only gripe is, I put firefox on as my browser, and going to places like here, clicking on smaller links (like the page number of a thread) seems kind of unresponsive. The finger scanner on the back is fucking brilliance as I get logged into the thing as I naturally pick it up.

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Yeah it does. I don't remember any shift like that noticeable enough in any phone I've used to even make me remember it, but it 100% doesn't bother me. The undersaturation is probably my biggest issue with the screen.
I stopped by a Verizon store on the way home from work to get a hands-on. Only had a couple minutes, but the blue shift seemed pretty mild at more than reasonable angles. I did however notice a good bit of motion blur in chrome when scrolling black text on a white background. So with the software update/fix pending I reordered. Will get a better hands on before it ships.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have had my Pixel 2 XL since Wednesday and I love it. I'm not sure what Samsung does to android on their phones, but I absolutely hated it on my galaxy, however, I'm totally digging this version of it. It is very quick, and the keyboard does not suck ass, and the thing is just super comfy to hold. First couple of days, the battery seemed to race to the bottom, but after making some tweaks, here I am, nearly 9 hours since taking it off the charger, and I'm still at 91% battery. My only gripe is, I put firefox on as my browser, and going to places like here, clicking on smaller links (like the page number of a thread) seems kind of unresponsive. The finger scanner on the back is fucking brilliance as I get logged into the thing as I naturally pick it up.
Keyboard seems like a weird thing to complain about seeing as you can fully customize your keyboard? I use SwiftKey and it's bad ass to have my custom dictionary of words synced across all devices.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I used SwiftKey for years, but I gave Gboard another try when I got my Pixel XL and have stuck with it. There's no reason to use a keyboard you don't like on Android these days. There's enough quality options nowadays for everyone to find one they like.

I've been running the dev preview of 8.1 on my XL for the last few days and it has been pretty decent. My main complaint since 8.9, bluetooth, has improved, but it still isn't as good as it was on 7. My car's head unit gets the metadata on what track is playing again, but the audio still cuts out for 1-2 seconds every 10 minutes or so.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Keyboard seems like a weird thing to complain about seeing as you can fully customize your keyboard? I use SwiftKey and it's bad ass to have my custom dictionary of words synced across all devices.

I know. I don't know what it was about that galaxy but I just never could find a keyboard that worked for me. I think it was mostly the size (too small) but something about that phone made typing an absolute chore. That is definitely not the case with this pixel but that's not because the pixel has some magic other phones don't. It is simply an xl where the other was a standard sized phone. And that very well could be all there is to it on the keyboard. But fact still remains that this version of Android definitely feels more snappy to me than that Galaxy ever did.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I didn't want to but I got the Pixel 2 because reasons. Blue tilt shift thing is definitely something to consider if you're super anal about shit like that but to me, it is a minor issue. Doesn't bother me much. The camera is fantastic, battery life is fantastic, it is fast, and the signal strength is noticeably stronger than the original Pixel. This is my 4th Gewgle phone (6 -> 6P -> Pixel XL -> Pixel 2 XL). They have been making a lot of great improvements through the years and I feel like this one is keeping that theme rolling.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
So razer announced an android phone today:

This is the Razer phone

• Qualcomm’s ultra-speedy Snapdragon 835 chip, the same one that powers flagships like the Pixel 2 and the Galaxy S8
  • A big ol’ 4,000mAh battery
  • 8GB of RAM
  • 64GB of internal storage, plus a microSD slot for expansion
  • Dual 12-megapixel cameras on the rear with different levels of optical zoom — one wide angle, one telephoto.
  • 8-megapixel cam on the front
  • As with the Nextbit Robin, they’ve hidden the fingerprint sensor in the power button on the side
  • 802.11a/b/g/n/AC, Bluetooth 4.2, and NFC
  • It’ll run Android Nougat 7.1.1 at launch, with plans to update to Android Oreo (8.0) in the first quarter of 2018.
  • A 5.72 inch, 120hz display — meaning the screen refreshes super-fast for smoother scrolling and animation/movement in games. The iPad Pro tablet has a 120hz screen, but it looks like Razer might be the first to market with a 120hz display in a phone

Price is $699

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So razer announced an android phone today:

This is the Razer phone

• Qualcomm’s ultra-speedy Snapdragon 835 chip, the same one that powers flagships like the Pixel 2 and the Galaxy S8
  • A big ol’ 4,000mAh battery
  • 8GB of RAM
  • 64GB of internal storage, plus a microSD slot for expansion
  • Dual 12-megapixel cameras on the rear with different levels of optical zoom — one wide angle, one telephoto.
  • 8-megapixel cam on the front
  • As with the Nextbit Robin, they’ve hidden the fingerprint sensor in the power button on the side
  • 802.11a/b/g/n/AC, Bluetooth 4.2, and NFC
  • It’ll run Android Nougat 7.1.1 at launch, with plans to update to Android Oreo (8.0) in the first quarter of 2018.
  • A 5.72 inch, 120hz display — meaning the screen refreshes super-fast for smoother scrolling and animation/movement in games. The iPad Pro tablet has a 120hz screen, but it looks like Razer might be the first to market with a 120hz display in a phone

Price is $699

Unfortunately like most Razer products I expect it to last 4-6 months.

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Why not get a Oneplus 5 or whatever they are on now? Same price point and it's not a fucking useless piece of shit because it has an actual audio jack still.

• 1Worf