Smartphones

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Why not get a Oneplus 5 or whatever they are on now? Same price point and it's not a fucking useless piece of shit because it has an actual audio jack still.
I am not a sulking teenager walking around with beats on plugged into my cellphone while listening to rap you have never heard of.

I haven’t needed an audio jack on my phone ever. Every single phone that doesn’t have a true audio jack though ships with an adapter so I don’t get the argument.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I am not a sulking teenager walking around with beats on plugged into my cellphone while listening to rap you have never heard of.

I haven’t needed an audio jack on my phone ever. Every single phone that doesn’t have a true audio jack though ships with an adapter so I don’t get the argument.

Oh that's right, only sulking teenagers listen to headphones. I always forget that. You're going to just have to accept the idea that that you buy an iphone every year because they have great marketing and it makes you feel superior to use them. It's totally normal, that is the case with almost all luxury goods. Just think of it like a Louis Vuitton bag. It doesn't do anything that a cheaper one doesn't do, but it makes you feel superior, and when the right kind of people see it, they will think you are superior as well. You can afford it and you like the feeling so buy it. Just embrace it because you rationalizing it in this thread is getting tiresome.

I am a sulking teenager and I often listen to 4-6 hours of podcasts in a day so bluetooth headphones don't work great for me. I just realized the essential phone also doesn't have wireless charging which I really wanted this year. Ditto for the OnePlus 5. It's really disappointing that there isn't a single phone I can get excited about this fall. The only phones that don't have some significant compromise for me are the Samsungs and they are expensive as fuck. I may just bite the bullet and buy an S8 Plus because it's pretty identical to the Note and I'm not going to pay $200 for a stylus.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh that's right, only sulking teenagers listen to headphones. I always forget that. You're going to just have to accept the idea that that you buy an iphone every year because they have great marketing and it makes you feel superior to use them. It's totally normal, that is the case with almost all luxury goods. Just think of it like a Louis Vuitton bag. It doesn't do anything that a cheaper one doesn't do, but it makes you feel superior, and when the right kind of people see it, they will think you are superior as well. You can afford it and you like the feeling so buy it. Just embrace it because you rationalizing it in this thread is getting tiresome.

I am a sulking teenager and I often listen to 4-6 hours of podcasts in a day so bluetooth headphones don't work great for me. I just realized the essential phone also doesn't have wireless charging which I really wanted this year. Ditto for the OnePlus 5. It's really disappointing that there isn't a single phone I can get excited about this fall. The only phones that don't have some significant compromise for me are the Samsungs and they are expensive as fuck. I may just bite the bullet and buy an S8 Plus because it's pretty identical to the Note and I'm not going to pay $200 for a stylus.
I have bought more android phones than I have iPhones.

Every high end android is coming out with no headphone jack though. It really is the future so prepare yourself for it or buy an older phone.

I bought the iPhone X but I am not excited for it and I agree there isn't another phone out there I am excited for. I was glad that the Pixel 2 announced first and I was hoping I was going to love it but I did not. I am a total Razer fanboy and if their phone would have been nice I would have cancelled my iPhone but it looks completely lackluster in every way.

By the way there is zero rationalization from me! You are rationalizing the fact that you can't get with the times and have an adapter for your headphones to USB-C.

Kais

<Gold Donor>
I don't get the adapter hate. Leave it on your headphones and who cares at that point. It's really not that big of a deal. And wireless charging is slooooooow. Especially now with all the fast charge stuff. 10 minutes on a charger with the Pixel 2 and you get 50% or more battery. Same amount on a wireless charger would take an hour or more. Forget to charge your phone at night? By the time you get to work you have enough charge to get through the whole day.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
have an adapter for your headphones to USB-C.

The reason I want wireless charging is because the first thing to go bad on every phone I've had where I didn't break the screen is the USB port and that's just from using it to charge. I work outdoors and I beat the shit out of my phones. My Nexus 6P looks like a banana from being bent in my pocket and even using it for only charging there is only one brand of cables left that I can reliably charge it with. If I start walking around with that thing in my pocket with an adapter and a headphone jack sticking off the top of it I'm pretty sure it's going to destroy the USB-C port in no time and I just don't want to deal with that. I have yet to ever break a headphone jack. Besides the charging issues with bluetooth headphones, I go through a pair of earbuds about once a month and although I assume $50 neckbuds would be more durable than my $12 earbuds, I still don't want to be buying those things all the time.

Shame you missed the sale earlier this year. Got my S8+ for $525.

It is. I was waiting to be disappointed by the Pixel 2. Maybe there will be something for black friday.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The reason I want wireless charging is because the first thing to go bad on every phone I've had where I didn't break the screen is the USB port and that's just from using it to charge. I work outdoors and I beat the shit out of my phones. My Nexus 6P looks like a banana from being bent in my pocket and even using it for only charging there is only one brand of cables left that I can reliably charge it with. If I start walking around with that thing in my pocket with an adapter and a headphone jack sticking off the top of it I'm pretty sure it's going to destroy the USB-C port in no time and I just don't want to deal with that. I have yet to ever break a headphone jack. Besides the charging issues with bluetooth headphones, I go through a pair of earbuds about once a month and although I assume $50 neckbuds would be more durable than my $12 earbuds, I still don't want to be buying those things all the time.

It is. I was waiting to be disappointed by the Pixel 2. Maybe there will be something for black friday.
Yeah that is what I was looking forward to on the iPhone X is the wireless charging for all the same reason. I think that USB-C is way way less susceptible to port wear and tear. Does the Nexus 6P have that or still mini/micro usb?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It's type C and it is definitely more durable than micro but mine is still barely working after 2 years.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It's type C and it is definitely more durable than micro but mine is still barely working after 2 years.

Are we using disease nomenclature for USB now

I need to get my type C checked to make sure I don't have liver damage

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Going to see less and less of headphone jacks in phones. Makes room in the phone for other parts and helps with being able to make the phone waterproof immensely.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If a phone has decent battery life these days, fast charging isn't much of an issue because you're only going to need to charge it while you sleep and wireless charging is plenty fast enough for that. I like the idea of being able to charge my phone for 15 minutes in a pinch and get a couple hours more use out of it but it's not really something that comes up that much unless you're gaming on it a lot or something.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I use a wireless fast charger. It's maybe 30-40% slower than full speed charge on my S8+, but it's still very quick.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I don't get the adapter hate. Leave it on your headphones and who cares at that point.

Pretty much fixes the problem BrutulTM BrutulTM has listening to podcasts all day. On one hand I want to be pissed off at every company following Apple's lead. On the other hand, at this point I really don't fucking care. And can't do anything about it. So whatever. I think it is really stupid someone would buy or not buy a phone SIMPLY because it does or doesn't have a headphone jack but whatever, you do you.

I just wish someone would hurry the fuck up and root the Pixel 2 XL so I can get rid of these god damn ads on it. Haven't seen an ad on one of my phones since 2010.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
IPhone sells X for 1k and can't sell another iPhone 8. China is giving them away on the release of the X.

Microsoft has a patent for the 3.5mm for devices thinner than that connection.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Going to see less and less of headphone jacks in phones. Makes room in the phone for other parts and helps with being able to make the phone waterproof immensely.

Eh? S8+ is waterproof + has a headphone jack.

I see no reason why it would be any harder to waterproof than anything else that still has cable based charging - headphone or charging is going to have a break in the case. I could see that being a reasonable statement if-when someone goes for wireless charging only, but until then it's a non-starter.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I didn't say it wasn't possible, I think I used the word immensely. One port versus two ports, can you math?

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Seen something about the Razer Phone. Complete joke? (I know I saw the brief blurb last page but no new input) I'm awful and can't even remember my screen size other than it's a hair larger than a note 4. (Nexus... 6? it's like a 3 year old phone)

A tablet as much as I want is too risky for work where I need to be able to stow fast, so trying to keep to mega phones. Running into where the battery just seems to not last very long, and after finishing reading the days posts here, playing titanfall assault a few games while charging and I'm losing charge and getting scalding hot, so an upgrade may be in order.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I'd be hesitant about the razer phone for now. I bought a first gen tablet when they released it, trying to remember the name of it? They had to replace it for a second gen one because the battery would overheat and catch on fire. Months later they did a firmware update that turned off the wifi at boot up so basically bricked it and didn't replace it promptly. Months later, after I had bought a pixel tablet a factory reset got it working again so I sold it to a friend. It has been working ever since tho.

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
8.1 android is bricking devices with some screen lock feature after rebooting. It's a bug and will be fixed by the end of the month.