Smartphones

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I love my Galaxy Nexus. Running AOKP 4.2.1 now on it.
So I rooted my phone and updated it to 4.1 when it first came out. I am admittedly not an expert in rooting and all that. So my question is, do I have to wipe my phone and start over to manually upgrade it to AOKP 4.2.1? I feel like when I was doing this before, I was always wiping the phone each time.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Checked the usage tab on my iPhone today at it said 28GB I was seriously wtf'ing. The website shows the true amount but still got the shit scared out of me.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Ouch. You should go install Onavo Count or something and find out wtf thinks it's using that much data.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
It isn't just the iPhone 5. It's an iOS 6 issue, not specific to the 5, and not happening on everyone's phone.

But yes, I'd double-check to make sure that you aren't going to get charged for that. Sometimes the web portals are slow at reporting data usage.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
So I rooted my phone and updated it to 4.1 when it first came out. I am admittedly not an expert in rooting and all that. So my question is, do I have to wipe my phone and start over to manually upgrade it to AOKP 4.2.1? I feel like when I was doing this before, I was always wiping the phone each time.
Back it up with titanium backup then do a full wipe. 4.2 changed the filesystem to accommodate multi user support so even if you are staying with the same rom, dirty flashing isn't recommended. I haven't used AOKP on my Galaxy Nexus in ages, but Euroskank is excellent if you want to give that a try.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It never resets unless you do it manually.
It isn't just the iPhone 5. It's an iOS 6 issue, not specific to the 5, and not happening on everyone's phone.

But yes, I'd double-check to make sure that you aren't going to get charged for that. Sometimes the web portals are slow at reporting data usage.
It's really weird. I have an app to track my data usage so it does match up with the web portal just fine. It's specifically something with the software on my phone where it insists I'm using 20+GB a day. For instance I reset it just now and it's already at 20GB for sent and received. It's nothing deal breaking but it is pretty annoying considering if I ever used this much data I'd be up shots creek.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Strange. You might want to do a restore at some point. It would be hell if that actually started using cellular data...

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So 4.2 appears to be absolutely raping my battery life. I used whatever kernel came with this AOKP build. Any suggestions on a good, battery efficient, kernel to go with 4.2?

Pinch_sl

shitlord
I've heard if you have google currents set the sync in the background it'll kill your battery life. Additionally, the facebook app is terrible for battery (or was a couple months ago before I uninstalled it).

I'm running CM10.1 on stock kernel and my battery life is pretty normal. I only recently rooted my phone in order to get 4.2 since Verizon is terrible at pushing out updates.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, don't have either of those installed. I will have to do some research when I get home.

Mageling

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Ended up getting rid of the Atrix HD that I picked up super cheap from CL after my iphone died and snagged an SGS3 from a friend who wasn't using it anymore.

Anyone have some suggestions on stable ROMs for the AT&T variant? Wading through XDA and looking at what shit is broken on most of them is a bit more time consuming than I'd anticipated. Doesn't have to be a TW ROM, I'm happy with AOSP based as long as it has functioning BT and respectable battery life.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
What phone do you have? Bad battery life with AOKP/CM usually stems from wake locks. Go Google BetterBatteryStat on XDA and see what is eating your battery life.
Seeing what BBS has to say is definitely the easiest way to figure out what's killing the battery, well worth the purchase.

So 4.2 appears to be absolutely raping my battery life. I used whatever kernel came with this AOKP build. Any suggestions on a good, battery efficient, kernel to go with 4.2?
The general consensus seems to be that 4.2 is a bit more power hungry than 4.1. Other than Currents and Facebook, I've heard Google Now can get a bit excessive in the resources it uses, but I haven't experienced that. As far as kernels go, I've been using Leankernel for the last few months and it has worked well. It's a minimalistic kernel that lacks some of the features others have, but that has never been an issue for me.

The single biggest battery drain is your screen, so have you changed your brightness settings since flashing 4.2? How much screen on time are you getting per charge?

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
So I flashed a new ROM last night cause I didn't like some of the stuff that was on AOKP. I am using JBSourcery, and so far so good. I charged it to full before bed and then took it off the charger overnight to see what it would be at, and it was 95% when I left for work. So roughly 5% loss while idle over 7ish hours. I think the first night with AOKP was something like 18%. Will see how it runs today.

I also installed BBS, so will keep an eye on that and see what it has to say. Overall I do like 4.2 though. Super smooth, that is for sure.

FleshStick_sl

shitlord
Might come in handy for some tablet owners:

92816442292714825_a3WSbF5D.jpg