Smartphones

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Hey guys,

I know this has probably been asked here a few times before but my need for a new phone has just come up.

Here is the situation: I currently have a original Droid Incredible. It's starting to have a few annoying issues. I am wondering if I should get another Droid or look into my first iPhone or a Windows Phone. The reason I am considering moving away from Android on my phone is that I have a Nexus 7 that I tend to do all my non phone stuff on, using my phone as a phone only. Having a phone with a smaller screen and usually a non pure Android experience seems to be redundant.

Would it be worth it to have a phone with a different OS to have the " best of both worlds" or should I stick with all Android and get another Droid like the DNA. I would stick to a Nexus phone, but the Nexus 4 is not available on Verizon and I do not know if they will get another in the next generation of Nexus.

So to break down my questions:

Is it worth it to vary OS to get the " best of both worlds" or stick to the same on both devices even if it is redundant?

Is the Windows OS worth using at all? or is it too far behind the big two?

Is the HTC DNA a good phone should I stay with Android?

Any one know if there will be a pure Nexus device on Verizon in the future?

Thanks all.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I'd stay stick to a single Eco-system. It's really nice having apps carry over. Pay for it once, use it on multiple devices.

In the end I think you'll be more frustrated dealing with a mixed Eco-system, no one likes paying for the same app twice.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
I agree with sticking with the same eco-system. I am going one step further and sticking with Nexus devices (or devices that can be easily rooted) to eliminate the carrier from holding up the update process.

As far as a pure Nexus device coming to Verizon, I know Google and Verizon are at odds right now. That is rumored to be one of the reasons the Nexus 4 didn't come in a CDMA/LTE version. Basically Verizon wants to load all their shit on any phones on their network and Google doesn't want any bloat-ware on their Nexus lines. Also, the last Nexus device that went to Verizon was still held back from receiving upgrades right away by Verizon.

Lastly, rumor is that Google is looking to start their own cell-phone carrier within the next year. The service will basically be pure data and all the phone will go through Google Voice. This is just pure conjecture on my part, but I am betting that their service will be very competitively priced and since everything goes through Google Voice you may need an Android device to use their service.

lindz

#DDs
Looking to upgrade my old iphone 3GS and thinking of getting a Galaxy S3. Camera quality is the most important thing for me and I'd like to move away from iphones. Any recommendations or thoughts on the Galaxy?

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Phones usually release closer to summer. Maybe 3 months away or so and it's definitely worth the wait.

With PA ditching CM as base, PA 3.00 is incredible. Never knew I would like the per-app DPI/UI settings so much. Tablet UI works amazingly well on high DPI phones, and they just generally look nicer. Every app should just make a tablet UI.

lindz

#DDs
Unfortunately my phone is close to dead now - been in the baby's mouth one too many times. The home button only works 30% of the time and having a lot of problems charging it with all the water (spit) damage.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Um, this seems obvious to me, but maybe it's different when you actually have a kid. Maybe don't let your baby play with your phone...?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unfortunately my phone is close to dead now - been in the baby's mouth one too many times. The home button only works 30% of the time and having a lot of problems charging it with all the water (spit) damage.
My home button and power button have both been broke for like a year now.

Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility and turn on Assistive Touch. It will help you with your button problems.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Um, this seems obvious to me, but maybe it's different when you actually have a kid. Maybe don't let your baby play with your phone...?
Can't always control what baby puts in its mouth. Shit happens. In some cases, literally!

lindz

#DDs
The problem is more when my older kids get it, then leave it in places where the baby can get it (drop it on the floor when they are done with their games /sigh). I don't think I'll be putting kid's games on my next phone.
tongue.png

My home button and power button have both been broke for like a year now.

Go to Settings -> General -> Accessibility and turn on Assistive Touch. It will help you with your button problems.
And thank you, will give that a try.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Looking to upgrade my old iphone 3GS and thinking of getting a Galaxy S3. Camera quality is the most important thing for me and I'd like to move away from iphones. Any recommendations or thoughts on the Galaxy?
I am in the exact same situation. iPhone 3GS and everything looking to move to android.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Is anyone finding Swype to be exceptionally slow?

It's reaching the stage where I can swype whole sentences before the keyboard is even visible, I have an LG Nexus 4 so my hardware should be more than sufficient

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I am in the exact same situation. iPhone 3GS and everything looking to move to android.
I moved from a iPhone 4 to Galaxy S3 and love it.

Cons: unified inbox is much worse. no instant scroll to the top of the screen on a long web page(although the way the flicks accelerate your scroll speed this isn't a big issue)

Pros: Every single thing else about the phone.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Android 4.2.2 is out for Nexus devices.

If you haven't received it yet, you can follow these steps to force the update.

Go into Apps and then All
Find the Google Framework Service
Clear Data and then stop the service
Go to Check for Updates, it should say that you last checked in like 1969.
Check for updates again, you should get the update now.

Braen

<Medals Crew>
Hmmm that's strange. Works every time on my Nexus 7... This process ignores the "rollout"

Let me check my steps.

Apps/All
Google Services Framework
Clear Data/Force Stop
Run Check Updates again.

Weird.

Candiarie_sl

shitlord
Question: I have a Galaxy S3 on Verizon now through work but am changing jobs soon so I need to get my own phone for the first time. I'm kind of addicted to 4G and unlimited data and would like to keep it. A few family members also have a work discount through Sprint I could get on. Both Sprint and Verizon have 4G in the area I'm moving. Is there any reason to pick one or the other? I've never had to manage my own phone bill before so any help would be appreciated.

Also, if I need to get a phone now should I just stick with the S3? I'm pretty happy with CM10 on it.