Smartphones

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I forgot Nokia was still in business. A bit of a mixed bag.

Nokia 9 PureView
  • 5 cameras
  • "pOLED 2k display"
  • Last gen Snapdragon 845
  • 6gb ram
  • 128 gb base model
  • face unlock
  • $699
Nokia 9 PureView hands-on: The 5-lens flagship Android fans have been dreaming of

I'm hoping someone will make a fast phone with good internals and a nice big screen that dumps all this multi camera /selfie cam stuff. All I want is one decent front facing camera.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Whoever came up with this faggot notch idea should get super aids.

• 6Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone have suggestions for tracking down battery life issues on Android? I have a Nexus 6p where the battery life is quite poor, but it can be down to 20% by mid-day but under settings the handful of applications show only 1-2% each for 15% or so total. One thing I've wondered is whether the battery management is confused and considers the original capacity of the battery instead of whatever it is now.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The 6P is well known to have battery issues. Your phone just may be going.

Mine is showing signs of the battery going. I was sitting in drive-thru the other night and it just decides to shut down. The battery got so low somehow that it auto-shutdown. This is the second time this has happened within the last month. My phone can usually last all day no problems so the battery has to be going on it.

I've been looking for a new phone, but I'm not sure what I want to get. I'm on Fi so my options are limited. I think I may just pick up a Pixel 3 XL the next time they go on sale. I hate that fucking notch to death though. I thought about picking up a refurb Pixel 2 XL, but buying a phone off Ebay puts me off.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My Galaxy S8 will sometimes jump from 20% to zero and shut down. Then if you put it on the charger for a few minutes and turn it back on, it will be at 21% and drain normally from there. Strange. I have wireless charging stands now everywhere that I'm likely to sit down during the day and I just put it on them so my phone doesn't often get below 50%.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Anyone have suggestions for tracking down battery life issues on Android? I have a Nexus 6p where the battery life is quite poor, but it can be down to 20% by mid-day but under settings the handful of applications show only 1-2% each for 15% or so total. One thing I've wondered is whether the battery management is confused and considers the original capacity of the battery instead of whatever it is now.

Download AccuBattery. It will have you go through a charging cycle and will determine how far gone your battery is. I found it when I had that same problem with my 6p and the battery had lost 50% of its total capacity.

Honestly, I'd call Google support and see if you can get them to send you a free Pixel XL or Pixel XL2. Even if they only agree to send a refurb, the 6p has known battery issues and I got them to send me a replacement well after my warranty was up.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The 6P is well known to have battery issues. Your phone just may be going.

Mine is showing signs of the battery going. I was sitting in drive-thru the other night and it just decides to shut down. The battery got so low somehow that it auto-shutdown. This is the second time this has happened within the last month. My phone can usually last all day no problems so the battery has to be going on it.

Yep, but I think that is a distinct issue. I feel like the battery information on earlier versions of Android was more complete and wondered if I could still see that.

I've been looking for a new phone, but I'm not sure what I want to get. I'm on Fi so my options are limited. I think I may just pick up a Pixel 3 XL the next time they go on sale. I hate that fucking notch to death though. I thought about picking up a refurb Pixel 2 XL, but buying a phone off Ebay puts me off.

I was waffling on that last sale also though I think I'd go standard 3 for no notch and the XL has had more probelms. Howver I don't feel like Google has a good track record on continued device suport, and it sounds like they still haven't fixed all launch issues so... At this point I'm waiting for Google IO to see if the Lite version is announced or to catch an S10 on sale.

My Galaxy S8 will sometimes jump from 20% to zero and shut down. Then if you put it on the charger for a few minutes and turn it back on, it will be at 21% and drain normally from there. Strange. I have wireless charging stands now everywhere that I'm likely to sit down during the day and I just put it on them so my phone doesn't often get below 50%.

Yea, the Nexus 6p and iphone 6(?) have a similar problem, a battery protection circuit trips when you have high draw on low battery.

Download AccuBattery. It will have you go through a charging cycle and will determine how far gone your battery is. I found it when I had that same problem with my 6p and the battery had lost 50% of its total capacity.

Honestly, I'd call Google support and see if you can get them to send you a free Pixel XL or Pixel XL2. Even if they only agree to send a refurb, the 6p has known battery issues and I got them to send me a replacement well after my warranty was up.

I thought the Pixel thing was a narrow window of time, I heard about it slightly after but at the time hadn't started experiencing problems.

I found Google's Battery Historian, I may take a look at it - google/battery-historian

Last edited:

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Yep, but I think that is a distinct issue. I feel like the battery information on earlier versions of Android was more complete and wondered if I could still see that.

I was waffling on that last sale also though I think I'd go standard 3 for no notch and the XL has had more probelms. Howver I don't feel like Google has a good track record on continued device suport, and it sounds like they still haven't fixed all launch issues so... At this point I'm waiting for Google IO to see if the Lite version is announced or to catch an S10 on sale.

Yea, the Nexus 6p and iphone 6(?) have a similar problem, a battery protection circuit trips when you have high draw on low battery.

I thought the Pixel thing was a narrow window of time, I heard about it slightly after but at the time hadn't started experiencing problems.

I found Google's Battery Historian, I may take a look at it - google/battery-historian

It was time limited, but it doesn't hurt to try. If they say no, you can even say you'll take a refurbished Pixel. It is worth a shot given how generous they've been in dealing with 6p issues.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
I know the Chinese government is probably spying on me but my OnePlus 5 still runs like a dream. The battery life has not really seen a dip. I think it has a lot to do with the Dash charger which basically transfers the heat generation away from the phone to the plug brick.

I also think 1080p is the sweet spot for phones. Which helps with battery life as well.

I'll probably upgrade to the 7 unless there is some kind of major issue this year. Mostly due to wanting a new gadget, not because anything is wrong with the 5.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The charge port on my Nokia pro 7 shit the bed so I got a new phone. I really wanted the OnePlus 6T but lack of memory card is a huge bummer. So I got Huawei honor v10.its great so far. I trust google spying about the same as Faulty Armor spying so I am fucked either way.

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
The charge port on my Nokia pro 7 shit the bed so I got a new phone. I really wanted the OnePlus 6T but lack of memory card is a huge bummer. So I got Huawei honor v10.its great so far. I trust google spying about the same as Faulty Armor spying so I am fucked either way.

The 128gb and free picture uploads has made me forget about SD cards. But I get the thought process.

And your right. Don't really trust that Google isn't spying either.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone on Visible Wireless? $40 for unlimited everything, but data is capped at 5Mbps on Verizon's network. It seems like a pretty good deal especially since the majority of my data comes from streaming music.

mtnhmr

Trakanon Raider
Have an iPhone 5s that I've dropped too many times.

Any suggestions on a phone that is nearly the same size for text/email/browsing/photos?

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
Have an iPhone 5s that I've dropped too many times.

Any suggestions on a phone that is nearly the same size for text/email/browsing/photos?

iPhone SE is basically the 5s with an updated processor and Touch ID; same size. It's a great little phone; paid $150 for mine. Only caveat is that it's getting kind of long in the tooth. Apple hasn't announced whether it will get iOS 13 support. If it does, it'll be supported through November 2020, if not, it'll only be good through November of this year.

Unfortunately, small phones are out of fashion now. The iPhone 7 and 8 are 4.7 inches, the only small-ish Android phone I know of is the XZ2 Compact, and even that is 5 inches.