Smartphones

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
bro, brackets [ this ] not < that >

I totally agree about 3rd party crap. It's why I bought the Nexus in the first place. I'd have traded up for a Pixel by now, but a focus on cameras aren't worth the huge price tag to me. My Nexus is in perfect condition because I don't break my things. Stock Android is very nice.

Yea, I've been on Nexus since the 4, if the Nexus 6P I own didn't have battery issues I probably wouldn't be looking to upgrade. The Pixel 3 devices were the obvious answer but all reports system stability is a complete shit-show this generation and I wanted to avoid the stupidity of USB headphones. That said, since returning the s10 I stumbled upon a Pixel 2 XL deal for ~1/3 the cost of the S10, hasn't shipped yet but for saving 800 CAD I'll deal with the idiocy of dongles.

Sorry it sucked so bad for you. The S10 is a sweet phone hardware wise.

I don't think the hardware is great, at least from my experience the in screen fingerprint reader was poor and around half the time I had to login with a PIN. I also found that holding the s10 tended to trigger phantom touches on the sides of the device because of the lack of bezels, maybe would have been solved with a case /shrug. I'm not sure if its a "me" thing but I also found the size and aspect ratio of the display caused it to feel cramped, it felt too narrow in portrait and not tall enough in landscape.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I have an S8 and I will agree that the samsung spam for their shitty apps is horrendous. I won't be buying another Samsung phone. Fuck paying a premium for a subpar software experience.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I have an S10 and don't experience any of those issues. The fingerprint reader is awesome unless my hands are greasy or wet. Which is almost never. I also don't know what you're talking about with the anti-malware popups. Have never seen that. First time you launch a task it will ask you which app is your preferred for that task.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I have an S10 and don't experience any of those issues. The fingerprint reader is awesome unless my hands are greasy or wet. Which is almost never. I also don't know what you're talking about with the anti-malware popups. Have never seen that. First time you launch a task it will ask you which app is your preferred for that task.
This is what I'm saying. I have the Note 9, and never experience malware popups, or anything else you are experiencing? When you launch a task, you have the option to say Just Once, or Always, and if you choose Just Once, it'll continue to pop up and ask every time you launch that same task.

People on this thread for a very long time have been bitching about bloatware, and bad software experiences, but all the way back to my Note 5, it's not been bad at all, and only gotten better, so I don't get it. What am I missing?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
You're probably using all the Samsung shit. If you try to stick with the google apps the samsung stuff never stops begging you to use it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'm all-in on Google. Except for the Samsung music player. That's a solid app.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got my wife a pixel 3. Everything switched over flawlessly from her Nexus 6p. The only problem is she can only receive sms. I don't know what the term for it is, but Android's (at least on googlefi) have a messaging type that's sort of like imessage where you can see if a person read them and chat bubbles pop up as they're typing. Those are still going to her old phone unless we're on the same wifi. It's weird. I've had to setup my phone to only send SMS to her.

Is there something we need to do to unsubscribe her old phone? It's not activated under fi anymore, so I assume they're wifi messages and it's just picking them up. Should we just turn it off? Not sure that'll help

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I got my wife a pixel 3. Everything switched over flawlessly from her Nexus 6p. The only problem is she can only receive sms. I don't know what the term for it is, but Android's (at least on googlefi) have a messaging type that's sort of like imessage where you can see if a person read them and chat bubbles pop up as they're typing. Those are still going to her old phone unless we're on the same wifi. It's weird. I've had to setup my phone to only send SMS to her.

Is there something we need to do to unsubscribe her old phone? It's not activated under fi anymore, so I assume they're wifi messages and it's just picking them up. Should we just turn it off? Not sure that'll help

I'm guessing that would be RCS you're talking about. That's just a new standard that's supposed to replace SMS, so I would think it should behave like SMS and go to all her phones. Might want to check in the advanced settings of Messages and disable chat features on the old phone. It will use wifi when available to receive RCS messages, so that might be the problem.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'm guessing you are using some messaging app that she had installed on her old phone that isn't on the new one. Are you sure you're not using something like Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp? I'm not sure if Google even has its own messaging service anymore but it used to be Hangouts or whatever the fuck that Allo thing was.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's just the Google/android messages app, the standard app

I think shutting the phone off fixes it, but my kid uses it to play some games.

I'll try disabling chat features

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not sure if Google even has its own messaging service anymore but it used to be Hangouts or whatever the fuck that Allo thing was.

Hangouts is still around, though Google is making it its business focused chat now. If you're a Fi subscriber you can still use it for SMS. Allo was just recently shut down, but Duo, the video chat that was launched at the same time, is still around.

Google seems to have abandoned any plans for an imessage competitor and is instead pushing for RCS adoption. The problem with that is that it requires the carriers to support it as it's an SMS replacement. They're doing a pretty lousy job of it as Google has only gotten Sprint and Tmobile on board so far and it more recently finally made it available for Fi subscribers.

Crone

Hangouts is still around, though Google is making it its business focused chat now. If you're a Fi subscriber you can still use it for SMS. Allo was just recently shut down, but Duo, the video chat that was launched at the same time, is still around.

Google seems to have abandoned any plans for an imessage competitor and is instead pushing for RCS adoption. The problem with that is that it requires the carriers to support it as it's an SMS replacement. They're doing a pretty lousy job of it as Google has only gotten Sprint and Tmobile on board so far and it more recently finally made it available for Fi subscribers.
I'm not sure you'd call it terrible to only have sprint and t-mobile on board? I mean yea, Verizon is huge but that's the bulk of it. I can't wait for it and I'd drop WhatsApp as soon as it was widely roled out.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Bluetooth question. I have bluetooth earbuds that I use all the time and also have half a dozen other bluetooth devices in various vehicles, radios, etc. around. I can't imagine anyone would want this, but when I'm playing on my earbuds or some other device and another device comes in range the phone automatically connects to that and starts playing through it. I can't imagine what logic was used to decide that if I get into my vehicles while listening to my earbuds that it should connect to the pickup radio (which is turned off) and start playing through that instead without even pausing my podcast. Also, if I'm listening to it on the pickup radio and my ear buds are still connected and I leave my phone in the pickup and walk away, when my earbuds come back in range it will automatically connect to them and start playing through them instead. It's pretty infuriating and happens multiple times per day. Please tell me there's some bluetooth manager app that I can set it to stay on whatever device it's first connected to rather than just slutting it up with anything that happens to pass by? I like it automatically connecting to the car radios, but if I'm already playing on my ear buds, or vice versa, I want it to not switch to a different device without asking.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not sure you'd call it terrible to only have sprint and t-mobile on board? I mean yea, Verizon is huge but that's the bulk of it. I can't wait for it and I'd drop WhatsApp as soon as it was widely roled out.

It's not terrible, but it's certainly not going to be all that useful unless it becomes a universal standard. Until everyone adopts it, it is no better than any other messaging service. Plus it doesn't support end to end encryption for people who care about that.

Crone

It's not terrible, but it's certainly not going to be all that useful unless it becomes a universal standard. Until everyone adopts it, it is no better than any other messaging service. Plus it doesn't support end to end encryption for people who care about that.
Oh it doesn't? That's weird. My whole family is on iPhone's and hate having to text me because of no iMessage. I get around that with the wife by using WhatsApp but I'm pretty sure it's a good thing when it comes to the rest of the family.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So shutting her phone off and turning chat features off I can't even send rcs messages to her now. They just sit at sending. Why in 2019 is text messaging this difficult

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
The most fucked up thing about RCS, is the carriers have all decided to do their own flavor and not the standard the Google is pushing. So RCS on Verizon only works with other Verizon phones, etc. Sprint may be the exception here.

Having said that, both phones are on the same carrier, correct Noodleface Noodleface ?