Smokers / Grills

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
also bought this gasket to drill into it for more probes
0becbdb851bc4bd18107765864459d5e.png

sounds like ppl really love modifying their pellet grills, my next mod will be a latch for the door if it's not heavy enough and the smoke still leaks out. i didn't even get it yet lulz
Get a thermal blanket for the winter too.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
welding blankets work for thermal blankets- i have a 4x6 folded in half and draped over the smoker-it barely gets warm.

this weekend i did bacon- seriously make your own bacon it is NOT HARD AT ALL- pork belly salt, pepper, maple syrup, brown sugar, water & curing salt is all you need, you'll never want store bought again.
and i smoked my apple cider brined and glazed turkey for thankgiving, it came out great except for the gravy, it came out a bit too dark for my liking- tasted fine, just was a dark mahogany instead of a light to mid brown..

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
welding blankets work for thermal blankets- i have a 4x6 folded in half and draped over the smoker-it barely gets warm.

this weekend i did bacon- seriously make your own bacon it is NOT HARD AT ALL- pork belly salt, pepper, maple syrup, brown sugar, water & curing salt is all you need, you'll never want store bought again.
and i smoked my apple cider brined and glazed turkey for thankgiving, it came out great except for the gravy, it came out a bit too dark for my liking- tasted fine, just was a dark mahogany instead of a light to mid brown..
but its so ugly
04f6ecc91918d22e005373b474614655.png

but like 5x less

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
to make it blend better and not be...UGLY!, just paint the outside face of that black with some high temp grill or automotive spray paint.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
to make it blend better and not be...UGLY!, just paint the outside face of that black with some high temp grill or automotive spray paint.
naw i'll try the ugly blanket, now my neighbors can tell which house is mine

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
last purchase for this smoker that i'm not even gonna get for a week
6582a532fc99dac1719c9baa93dae3ed.png

i'm reading from you guys, i really want to make sure my "zones" are perfect, i made sure to get a waterproof one, cuz i'm sure i'm gonna be lazy and leave it outside one night.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just picked up my Pit Boss 1150 today. Well, the wife did. Shit was a couple of hundred pounds and she wrestled it into the backyard while I was away at work. Proud of her. She wants it more than me. We didn't trust Lowe's to build it right, so we still have to build it but should be pretty easy.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Our Thanksgiving plan for this year was to deep fry the turkey. My Mom had told me she had "plenty" of oil and I stupidly didn't question it. When I got to her house there were 3 gallons of peanut oil there. It takes at least 6 for the fryer we have and it's 11:00 and we're supposed to eat at 1:30 and it's a 100 mile round trip to the store to get more oil. I'm just like "Don't worry, I'll take care of it" and take the turkey back to my house. While the Yoder was heating up I was spatchcocking and salting the 15 lb bird. My girlfriend was sending pictures to her family and they were predicting my doom but at 1:45 I was slicing a nice juicy turkey with brown, crispy skin like it was no big thing. Gotta love the pellet grill. I honestly don't know if I'll ever deep fry one again. The grill is not quite as fast as frying but still pretty fast and gets excellent results without having to buy $75 worth of peanut oil that you have nothing to do with afterwards and there's no danger of torching your house because you didn't get it fully defrosted.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Our Thanksgiving plan for this year was to deep fry the turkey. My Mom had told me she had "plenty" of oil and I stupidly didn't question it. When I got to her house there were 3 gallons of peanut oil there. It takes at least 6 for the fryer we have and it's 11:00 and we're supposed to eat at 1:30 and it's a 100 mile round trip to the store to get more oil. I'm just like "Don't worry, I'll take care of it" and take the turkey back to my house. While the Yoder was heating up I was spatchcocking and salting the 15 lb bird. My girlfriend was sending pictures to her family and they were predicting my doom but at 1:45 I was slicing a nice juicy turkey with brown, crispy skin like it was no big thing. Gotta love the pellet grill. I honestly don't know if I'll ever deep fry one again. The grill is not quite as fast as frying but still pretty fast and gets excellent results without having to buy $75 worth of peanut oil that you have nothing to do with afterwards and there's no danger of torching your house because you didn't get it fully defrosted.
i'm guessing turkey wasn't brined, cuz it was being prepared for deep fry anyway? so just spatchcockin the bird salt on all sides

cuz i still have this (extra) frozen 20lb turkey, and i'm tired of brining, already brined 3lulz

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
No brine. According to meathead you can get pretty similar results by just salting the turkey a few hours ahead and I should have done that this year but I didn't. All I did was heavily salt and pepper both sides after spatchcocking and then rubbed half a stick of butter on it and threw it on the grill.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

wife and I do two spatchcock chickens every couple of weeks - so quick and easy. people underestimate how fast you can cook a splayed out bird

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i put the fire blocking gasket on, absolutely no smoke comes out from the door
20201205_165434.jpg

also i guess i don't have enough bits, i have a set of 3 step drill bits but size too small, gotta go nab a 1 1/4 one soon, but even with 4 probes hanging out theres no leakage.

and no i'm just using s&p and a bit of cumin for the pork, i don't like marinades anymore and i don't believe in rubs

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
also bought this gasket to drill into it for more probes
0becbdb851bc4bd18107765864459d5e.png

sounds like ppl really love modifying their pellet grills, my next mod will be a latch for the door if it's not heavy enough and the smoke still leaks out. i didn't even get it yet lulz
So are smoker mods like case mods for people 35+?

• 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So are smoker mods like case mods for people 35+?
Yeah, it's pretty much getting a smoker and smoker mods, or you get into building AR-15s.

I'm still on the edge of picking up an easy bake smoker... Just waiting to see what volume of deals close in December at work to determine how crazy I'll let myself go.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Why so adamant against the pellet smoker? My brother just got that Masterbuilt one but it's a Christmas gift so he hasn't been able to use it yet.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
I don't know if it is just the type/blend of pellet but a few people in my family have them and I never cared for their results. I dont want to spend ~$500 on a pellet smoker just to find out it is the pellet smoke I dont like...

Before my Akorn broke I was saving some cash for a temp controller for it. I figure this is as good a time as any to just get temp control from the start along with charcoal fuel since there are affordable options now

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Pellets are just wood. There's no other ingredients. Lots of BBQ competitions are won with pellet smokers.