Smokers / Grills

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
yeah I get that but for me personally it's cured wood>charcoal>pellets>propane but I am not looking to learn an offset smoker at this time. If anything I will eventually build a small smokehouse in my backyard

Haus

<Silver Donator>
My only concern about pellets is locking ones self into that form factor for fuel. With traditional setups you often can roll wood, charcoal (brickettes or lump), a combination, whatever. With pellets if this is a "fad" that means in a few years you will have a harder and harder time finding pellets.

Also, sure there's no binding agent in there with the wood?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
My only concern about pellets is locking ones self into that form factor for fuel. With traditional setups you often can roll wood, charcoal (brickettes or lump), a combination, whatever. With pellets if this is a "fad" that means in a few years you will have a harder and harder time finding pellets.

Pellet grills have popular since the mid 80s (shortly after pellet stoves of the 70's came out due to the oil crisis), it's far from a fad and pellets aren't going anywhere. If this is one of your main concerns i'd forget it.

Pellets don't have binding agents in them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

i've used my smoker w/ 30lbs of pellets so far? and 20lbs of pellets w/ the ooni pizza ovevn stove

does the ash just evaporate? lulz i'm sure i'll clean something soon, haven't had to, prefer this over gas and probably over charcoal.

food grade pellets don't use binders, this is the brand i use (that someone recommened from lowes)

basically heat and pressure binds the wood pellets together.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
finally got off my ass and put in the thermometer grommet, for me i knew it was going to be a bit more involved cuz i'd have to uninstall the hopper, and with that it also means the electronics, etc.

anyway i believe my main takeaway is make sure to use cutting oil, it ate through the sheet metal like paper.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Pellets have pretty much taken over high end grilling/bbq over charcoal imo. And exposure is increasing a few years ago small presence, now all HI (HOME IMPROVEMENT)stores carry a few, AND they are now coming out with purpose built pellet smokers, adopting the charcoal Smoker and or gas cabinets and now are pellet only.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
to combat rubbery poultry skin, i turnt up the heat to 325 and chicken came out non rubber, but looked like charcoal.

tasted fine, is this just how it is?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Try this no idea if works, I haven't tried yet....boil some water just before putting chicken rub on or cooking. Pour water over skin, Pat dry, cook, supposedly it helps crisper the skin.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Try this no idea if works, I haven't tried yet....boil some water just before putting chicken rub on or cooking. Pour water over skin, Pat dry, cook, supposedly it helps crisper the skin.
thats the same advice given to recipes like haianese chicken rice and peking duck to firm up the skin... looks extra work, i literally just took the bagged chicken cut it open and ran it under my garden hose and slapped it on the smoker

but yea i'll see if that helps next time, i'll do a 30s dip in boiling water

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
thats the same advice given to recipes like haianese chicken rice and peking duck to firm up the skin... looks extra work, i literally just took the bagged chicken cut it open and ran it under my garden hose and slapped it on the smoker

but yea i'll see if that helps next time, i'll do a 30s dip in boiling water

4 hour wet brine (just salt and brown suger is all you need although I add oranges, broken up star anise and smashed garlic cloves), spatchcock it, season over/under skin, smoke it. I don't get crispy skin but it's def not rubbery and the taste is amazing.

if you're not bothering to do anything more than open the package, hosing it and throwing it on (no seasoning???) then i'm not sure what to tell you. At least dry it off after the hosing, that extra water def doesn't help.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
4 hour wet brine (just salt and brown suger is all you need although I add oranges, broken up star anise and smashed garlic cloves), spatchcock it, season over/under skin, smoke it. I don't get crispy skin but it's def not rubbery and the taste is amazing.

if you're not bothering to do anything more than open the package, hosing it and throwing it on (no seasoning???) then i'm not sure what to tell you. At least dry it off after the hosing, that extra water def doesn't help.
i'll squirt oil on it

yea i'm really not believing in rubs or seasonings really, idk i did one brisket w/ a famous daves rub and one w/o, pratically the same.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
i mean, i used to go the extra step and shove seasoning underneath the skin, boob and thigh

it's just odd you don't think it taste different. Like with the brisket, not even sure how you get good quality bark w/o that salt and sugar doing work on the outside.

I do my chickens with john henrys pecan rub all over, or a garlic herb rub. Both are excellent (brine makes a huge difference). Couldn't even imagine eating an unseasoned chicken that was unpacked and just thrown on the smoker lol.

I did a full on meatloaf the other nights. Doing a lamb legged tonight. Both well seasoned of course!

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Here's the meatloaf! Wish I woulda took a picture of the smoke ring.

1609035894348.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's just odd you don't think it taste different. Like with the brisket, not even sure how you get good quality bark w/o that salt and sugar doing work on the outside.

I do my chickens with john henrys pecan rub all over, or a garlic herb rub. Both are excellent (brine makes a huge difference). Couldn't even imagine eating an unseasoned chicken that was unpacked and just thrown on the smoker lol.

I did a full on meatloaf the other nights. Doing a lamb legged tonight. Both well seasoned of course!
well i do put on s&p on everything, just b/c i can't help it, but i don't know if it tastes different with different rubs, but the process here is that rubs and seasonings help promote a good bark?

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
well i do put on s&p on everything, just b/c i can't help it, but i don't know if it tastes different with different rubs, but the process here is that rubs and seasonings help promote a good bark?

ya a good rub will help with bark on things like ribs briskets and butts. a rub with sugar in it will help with chicken skin as well

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
ya a good rub will help with bark on things like ribs briskets and butts. a rub with sugar in it will help with chicken skin as well
all i got is famous daves cuz it was at the store whats a good beginner rub?