Smokers / Grills

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
marinate wings in dill pickle juice for a day.

pat dry

sprinkle salt pepper garlic powder -cayenne pepper powder for a bit of spice optional
spray with favorite cooking spray - duck fat, pam whatever
pellet grill@375 for 30 minutes check bottom to make sure bottom not getting too well done. if so, flip

cook until internal temp 265

sauce

finely dice 1 large dill pickle
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup dill pickle juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1/4 tsp black pepper

mix in bowl a minimum of the day before eating the wings for the flavor to meld.

serve wings with sauce, its fucking delicious.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
marinate wings in dill pickle juice for a day.

pat dry

sprinkle salt pepper garlic powder -cayenne pepper powder for a bit of spice optional
spray with favorite cooking spray - duck fat, pam whatever
pellet grill@375 for 30 minutes check bottom to make sure bottom not getting too well done. if so, flip

cook until internal temp 265

sauce

finely dice 1 large dill pickle
1 cup mayo
1/4 cup dill pickle juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1/4 tsp black pepper

mix in bowl a minimum of the day before eating the wings for the flavor to meld.

serve wings with sauce, its fucking delicious.

incase anyone does this recipe it should be internal temp of 165

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Smoke them then finish on grill is my favorite way.

How do you guys cook wings?

Mine turn out perfect every time at 1 hour and 45 minutes at 235, 20-30 minutes at 350, depending how crispy you want them. I’m on a pellet smoker.

Prep: Cover them in jack daniel chicken rub and a few splashes of Franks red hot cayenne. Also do some with just Greek seasoning. Both are fantastic, wife has me do them every week or two.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Previously described wings

FD8AF543-9F84-48FA-8760-2D7D528CC696.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Got our 1/4 beef in yesterday. Took a bit to sort it all and make room in our chest freezer. Now I gotta start hitting this thread hard for ways to make a dent in it all between two of us.

Processing sheet where we split a 1/2 with some friends.

Cut list.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK, so after forgetting how much I wanted one I'm getting ready to finally pick up a pellet grill (I want an "easy bake oven" for here in town, when I buy/build the country place I'm going to build a traditional coal/wood smoker)

Trick request is that I want something which can also get to temp to sear/grill things like burgers/steaks.

What, crazy people on the internet, is the best solution for this problem? Price range I'm aiming for is essentially "under $2k". Does a solution for both smoking and grilling in one unit really exist? I was looking at PitBoss model which had a sliding plate which turns the middle into a direct heat space, but everywhere seems to look down their noses at PitBoss. Weber had one which apparently was great for smoking and grilling, but looking at reviews of it apparently you roll the dice buying one and either it's fantastic, or will be a piece of junk and rusted within a year.

Ideas?

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Imo, if I had to do it all over again I’d skip the pellet grill and get a gravity fed charcoal. Someday I’ll get one but not

All the ease of a pellet grill with being able to set your temps digitally, but you get the versatility of being able to cook with briquette or lump charcoal or wood chunks. They can reach 225F in 10 minutes and up to 700F in 15 minutes which out does any pellet grills in terms of top end.

masterbuilt has a 15 year patent on them (thru 2034) so you won’t see many others than the ones they make with the exception of chargriller brand but they are both owned by the same parent company so that’s probably why.

from all I read the main complaint is their app is shit, but I wouldn’t use the app anyway, I never do in my pellet grill either.

Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo + Cover Bundle Amazon.com

if you do go this route, make sure to pop for the extended warranty, it’s still a fairly new item. I’d buy it through Amazon so your warranty would be through Asurion. They take care of everything, you won’t even pay for shipping and they offer a 4 year.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
OK, so after forgetting how much I wanted one I'm getting ready to finally pick up a pellet grill (I want an "easy bake oven" for here in town, when I buy/build the country place I'm going to build a traditional coal/wood smoker)

Trick request is that I want something which can also get to temp to sear/grill things like burgers/steaks.

What, crazy people on the internet, is the best solution for this problem? Price range I'm aiming for is essentially "under $2k". Does a solution for both smoking and grilling in one unit really exist? I was looking at PitBoss model which had a sliding plate which turns the middle into a direct heat space, but everywhere seems to look down their noses at PitBoss. Weber had one which apparently was great for smoking and grilling, but looking at reviews of it apparently you roll the dice buying one and either it's fantastic, or will be a piece of junk and rusted within a year.

Ideas?
I like my pit boss, especially because it was dirt cheap. I got a $35 remote thermometer and probe set and didn't bother with the app.

I do not grill on it very much because I smoke everything including burgers. Your window for direct heat is very small, 4 burgers big. It is not suitable if you want to use direct heat to bang out 28 shitburgers for a party. I would get a separate grill (or better yet a griddle) to cover that.

I considered the charcoal unit Tarrant mentioned but I prefer the simplicity of using pellets where I can just change flavors out with wood types (no chip nonsense) and was concerned with usability as no one I know has one yet.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I considered the charcoal unit Tarrant mentioned but I prefer the simplicity of using pellets where I can just change flavors out with wood types (no chip nonsense) and was concerned with usability as no one I know has one yet.

If you cook with chunk wood you can just use other wood, just like with the pellets. If you need to empty the hopper, it’s much easier than it is with a pellet grill.

if you don’t grill often though I can see why this wouldn’t be up your ally .

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Imo, if I had to do it all over again I’d skip the pellet grill and get a gravity fed charcoal. Someday I’ll get one but not

All the ease of a pellet grill with being able to set your temps digitally, but you get the versatility of being able to cook with briquette or lump charcoal or wood chunks. They can reach 225F in 10 minutes and up to 700F in 15 minutes which out does any pellet grills in terms of top end.

masterbuilt has a 15 year patent on them (thru 2034) so you won’t see many others than the ones they make with the exception of chargriller brand but they are both owned by the same parent company so that’s probably why.

from all I read the main complaint is their app is shit, but I wouldn’t use the app anyway, I never do in my pellet grill either.

Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 Digital Charcoal Grill Smoker Combo + Cover Bundle Amazon.com

if you do go this route, make sure to pop for the extended warranty, it’s still a fairly new item. I’d buy it through Amazon so your warranty would be through Asurion. They take care of everything, you won’t even pay for shipping and they offer a 4 year.
budget a few hundred for mods, i watched a few vids that praise the cooking and then it leads to getting the lss mods cuz theyre not built to last
1871c69b30b1706605faa8ae715f5be8.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
budget a few hundred for mods, i watched a few vids that praise the cooking and then it leads to getting the lss mods cuz theyre not built to last
1871c69b30b1706605faa8ae715f5be8.png

there’s a lot of aftermarket mods for them right now, there’s whole Reddit groups dedicated to them. A buddy of mine had a base model with no mods and his works fine going into year two with it.

and as I mentioned before I’d for recommend the extended warranty for sure, it’s still a new product.

for pellet grills I have the original pit boss pro series 1150. I like the huge hopper and I like the really wide ceramic covered grill grates. There original pro had issues though. The heat dispersion cover didn’t do it’s job and it was cheap. You can’t easily empty the hopper, and the dome cover that encapsulates the crucible and slides open and closed became permanently open when extended heat caused it to crumble apart. Also the paint in the bottom flaked off quickly as it wasn’t made seemingly for extended high temps. They acknowledged it and would send out a paint that you could reapply but then one day refused to acknowledge it as being covered under warranty. That’s when I vowed to always get a third party warranty for these things moving forward.

they’ve seemingly fixed those issues now though. Here’s the newer version of what I have.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Got our 1/4 beef in yesterday. Took a bit to sort it all and make room in our chest freezer. Now I gotta start hitting this thread hard for ways to make a dent in it all between two of us.

Processing sheet where we split a 1/2 with some friends.

View attachment 411794
Pick up my half on the 30th. Didnt notice this thread b4. I've mentioned in the other threads. If there's one thing I'm a utter bitch cuck about it is I have no idea what I'm doing with meat outside of burger and chicken breasts.

Made worse, outside my stove/toaster/air fryer, my current grill is this POS my wife thought was a good idea as a gift. (I said please no and she just got angry at me.)
Or very similiar to it.

Was fun when they called me for my cut sheet. I had no idea on some of them on bone in/out, tenderized or not. A few other choices I didnjt know about. Passed on the liver, took some bones for the dogs.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Pick up my half on the 30th. Didnt notice this thread b4. I've mentioned in the other threads. If there's one thing I'm a utter bitch cuck about it is I have no idea what I'm doing with meat outside of burger and chicken breasts.

Made worse, outside my stove/toaster/air fryer, my current grill is this POS my wife thought was a good idea as a gift. (I said please no and she just got angry at me.)
Or very similiar to it.

Was fun when they called me for my cut sheet. I had no idea on some of them on bone in/out, tenderized or not. A few other choices I didnjt know about. Passed on the liver, took some bones for the dogs.
Funny since that post was a bit old, just last week we picked up our half. Below is a picture.

I’d say use this as learning experience for next year. This year for half we knew exactly what we cooked and need to specify more or less. For instance this year we wanted more ground beef so got about 105 lbs worth. Different breeder and processor so everything was slightly new.

I think we came out to $1600? I’d have to check. There’s another box or two on the kitchen table too I think.

71573408484__1CE18512-D46A-44CA-84D6-D22B8CE8FA1A.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user