SNES Classic - 9/29 - $80

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Ok did the mod, that shit is super super easy. By far the easiest mod I’ve done

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Lol I just read that reddit instruction set. Why in earth would anyone go theough that. Buy a pi, save 10 bucks, have as many games as you want on the fucking thing.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Go through what? Downloading hakchi, plugging the mini into your computer and pushing a few buttons? That’s literally all it is

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Go through what? Downloading hakchi, plugging the mini into your computer and pushing a few buttons? That’s literally all it is

What I saw was 14 steps with a paragraph each.

Second link. Didn’t look at the first.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
What I saw was 14 steps with a paragraph each.

Second link. Didn’t look at the first.

I question whether you actually read it or skimmed it and saw 14 steps. Here’s each step.

Step 1: Download Hakchi

Step 2: unzip Hakchi

Step 3: Run Hakchi

Step 4: (optional). If you’ve already done this for systems other than snes mini, copy over anything you don’t want to have to redownload

Step 5: Install Hakchi

Step 6: Kernal dump (single button click that you are prompted to do when Hakchi starts up with snes mini connected)

Step 7: (optional) completely unnecessary step to copy the kernal file somewhere else so you don’t lose it if your HD crashes or something

Step 8: install new kernal by clicking two or so buttons that are again prompted.

Step 9: (optional) if there are games that the stock mini snes emulator has problems with that you want to play, install retroarch. This involves clicking a link to download the zip file, and dragging and dropping the zip file onto the open Hakchi window.

Step 10: Add roms through Hakchi GUI or by dragging and dropping into window.

Step 11: (optional) select games that you want to get cover art for, right click, and hit find cover art

Step 12: (optional) add —retroarch for any game you want to run in retroarch you know have a problem on the stock mini snes emulator

Step 13: (optional) Not even a real step, just a notice that you need to create folders if you add more than about 70 games

Step 14. click the synchronize button

Like I said, plug in and hit a few buttons.

• 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Finally got around to getting my HDMI A/B switch out, and an HDMI cord long enough to connect it to my SNES. Turned it on and played some FF VI (III). Was good. Really good. That was one of the best battle systems they ever had.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I question whether you actually read it or skimmed it and saw 14 steps. Here’s each step.

Oh I just opened it up, saw 5 pages of 14 paragraphs, laughed without looking at it, and wondered why anyone would buy this thing over a Pi - especially when you can also purchase your own SNES Pi Box. I am still pissed at Nintendo because this shit should be on the switch as a service to promote new hardware, yet they continue pulling this garbage. I mean, I do not blame them - They are making money hands over fists because all they are doing is mass producing Pi's with an SNES mini case - but this company can still go fuck itself because of it's lack of forward progress on the Switch. (Hell, even Standard progress)

• 1Worf
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Oh I just opened it up, saw 5 pages of 14 paragraphs, laughed without looking at it, and wondered why anyone would buy this thing over a Pi - especially when you can also purchase your own SNES Pi Box. I am still pissed at Nintendo because this shit should be on the switch as a service to promote new hardware, yet they continue pulling this garbage. I mean, I do not blame them - They are making money hands over fists because all they are doing is mass producing Pi's with an SNES mini case - but this company can still go fuck itself because of it's lack of forward progress on the Switch. (Hell, even Standard progress)
You son of a bitch, I knew you didn’t read it!

• 1Like

Darph

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Yeah! Why would you pay $80 for an asset that immediately doubles in value and when you could pay $75 for an asset that immediately loses all value?!

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah! Why would you pay $80 for an asset that immediately doubles in value and when you could pay $75 for an asset that immediately loses all value?!

Oh I'm sure that's why you bought this. Because of a value investment so you can sell this a few years later as a collectors item for 5 bucks more than what you bought it for.

Get off it Switch Boy - Because you are going to take a bath in that one so all in all you will be down in value by $150.

What does your family think of your poor purchasing decisions?

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 3 users

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
So if I win the lotto should I invest 15million into buying these up so I can double my money in 3 years?

• 2Worf

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The last refuge of the consumerist bugman for defense of his retarded purchases. "IT'S AN INVESTMENT!!"

lmao ok pal

I bought it to support them releasing the original games again. And the form factor is pretty awesome. The controllers feel like the originals.

• 1Picard

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
I bought it to support them releasing the original games again. And the form factor is pretty awesome. The controllers feel like the originals.

Why would you support them releasing original games on a separate machine when they should be releasing all of this shit on the Switch?

• 2Solidarity

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Why would you support them releasing original games on a separate machine when they should be releasing all of this shit on the Switch?

While I agree it would be better to offer them through the online store on all platforms, the Classic is still a nice piece of hardware. For someone who loved the hell out of the original SNES, those controllers really are nice.

• 1Picard

spronk

FPS noob
Its YMMV but in my area on http://offerup.com the SNES goes for $120-140 fairly regularly. Its $87 after taxes around here, so a $50 profit minus gas/time. Not bad, but not something I'd really go nuts over. I cancelled all my pre orders except for two, the European model I am keeping for myself and one US one I'm giving as a xmas gift.

There was a restock at gamestop and target yesterday as well, which they should be putting up for sale today. Only 4-10 per store so quantities are very limited but many people don't know about it so you may get lucky?

I have way more games to play than time to ever play them and little to no interest in actually playing old SNES games (I grew up playing PC games like ultima 2 and wizardry etc) so its more just the novelty of having the console under the TV and seeing the reactions of appropriate age friends when they see it.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Am I correct in thinking I buy that and then just download ROMS and I will be good to go?

No sorry I should explain. You also have to purchase the Pi equipment. That is just the case. But you can throw it in that case if you wanted the "Hey look what I have" effect Spronk illustrated in his post.

After that though, yes, you can download anything from the Apple II days up on through Atari, Intellivision., Coleco Vision, NES, SNES, N64 and PS1, including 8-Bit and 16 Bit Sega, Jaguar, DS, Gameboy advance, you name it. With the added benefit of just plugging in a USB stick once the files are downloaded and it autosorts everything in the pi automatically and creates the menu system as well.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
No sorry I should explain. You also have to purchase the Pi equipment. That is just the case. But you can throw it in that case if you wanted the "Hey look what I have" effect Spronk illustrated in his post.

After that though, yes, you can download anything from the Apple II days up on through Atari, Intellivision., Coleco Vision, NES, SNES, N64 and PS1, including 8-Bit and 16 Bit Sega, Jaguar, DS, Gameboy advance, you name it. With the added benefit of just plugging in a USB stick once the files are downloaded and it autosorts everything in the pi automatically and creates the menu system as well.

Thanks for the response! Do you have a link to the PI Equipment that you would recommend?