SNES Classic - 9/29 - $80

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So you never pirate off your own custom definition of piracy. Got it.

That's correct. Now when I was a kid that was different. I used to be a courier for THG and INC in the old BBS days. Only because I got all the games first and had a 14.4k hst v.32bis dual standard modem.

I should look more into pirating though. Because if I'm not paying for it I won't bitch!

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think the thing is cool, but after playing all these old-ass games on emulators for years, I've come to the realization that I will play them for two and a half minutes and then lose all interest. At least with emulators, I didn't blow money on it.

I actually played through Legend of Zelda and most of Zelda II recently. They still hold up pretty well. Zelda II is pretty fucking brutal hard, though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ryanz

<Banned>
Zelda II as in the side scrolling abomination of a Zelda game? Fuck that.

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 1 users

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
I think the emulators themselves had the limitation. I don't really know which it was, but yeah the limitation was the number of simultaneous buttons.

I can't speak for emulators, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that keyboards have keypress limitations.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
if you really want one of these follow wario64 on twitter Wario64 (@Wario64) | Twitter and have it push out updates to your phone, he is really good about putting instant updates on sales. for example it just went on sale in the UK
Man this guy tweets a lot of garbage. Why is he tweeting shit that is MSRP but 20% off with Amazon prime? Been like that for a long time, don't spam tweet 4 games at msrp

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm with UT, if I paid for that shit once it's fair game

You're allowed to own/play the ROM if you've purchased the game. I don't think anyone advocating EmuStation and the entire SNES library owns every single SNES game ever made.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You're allowed to own/play the ROM if you've purchased the game. I don't think anyone advocating EmuStation and the entire SNES library owns every single SNES game ever made.

Yeah that's not what the asses at Nintendo say.

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.

Definitely not illegal for them to download all of them along with an emulator and put it on a piece of flimsy plastic and sell it for $80 without hardly any manufacturing / development costs though. Or download the Roms from the internet and use them in their VC mix so they do not incur port costs. Or even though their customers bought the original games allow them to play on ROMS if they own the game or have owned the game in the past or bought it 4 times on the VC because Nintendo doesn't allow BC on their virtual console purchases because they are unethical fucks.

So yeah. Download every damn game in existence and Pi the shit out of it and enjoy.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I believe strictly legal speaking you can only play the ROM if you've extracted it from your own cart you own and possess. It is considered illegal to play the ROM of another cart. This isn't a Nintendo only thing AFAIK.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
There are very few games on the snes classic list that I haven't owned at some point, but I don't have the cartridges anymore and have no idea where they went to.

A few I own digitally on the WiiU like Super Mario World

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah that's not what the asses at Nintendo say.

Definitely not illegal for them to download all of them along with an emulator and put it on a piece of flimsy plastic and sell it for $80 without hardly any manufacturing / development costs though. Or download the Roms from the internet and use them in their VC mix so they do not incur port costs. Or even though their customers bought the original games allow them to play on ROMS if they own the game or have owned the game in the past or bought it 4 times on the VC because Nintendo doesn't allow BC on their virtual console purchases because they are unethical fucks.

So yeah. Download every damn game in existence and Pi the shit out of it and enjoy.
I mean Nintendo is right, and that aligns with pretty much every other viewpoint across most industries on the matter.

Seems pretty damned unlikely they are going to try to go after people or anything.

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I pirate the shit out of Nintendo roms, and I have no regrets or remorse about it. You know what I don't pirate? Movies, TV shows, music, and (modern) video games. You know why? Because nowadays they are super easy to get and very affordable. I used to go to Warez sites and use torrents to pirate games, music, and movies, but with the advent of Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Spotify, Steam...it's just so much easier and less hassle to simply pay a few bucks and buy what I want. I get it instantly via streaming/download and it's all on the up-and-up. Hell, most recently I did this with Game of Thrones. First couple seasons I pirated because fuck if I was going to pay for a whole cable package just to get HBO. However, as soon as they introduced HBO Now for $15 a month I was all over that.

Why the fuck can't Nintendo do that with their old games if they want us to pay for them? Until they get with the times and introduce something comparable to all the stuff I just mentioned, I will give zero fucks about downloading Nintendo roms.

• 5Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm undecided on this strictly from a collector's viewpoint.

I wonder if Reggie is fully bought in on Nintendo BS? I mean, I have to think he sees some of what we see and just does his job.

Fixing Nintendo would be STUPID easy. Everyone and their mom knows Nintendo. The trouncing of the Xbone by PS4 after the near win-ultra-solid showing the 360 had against PS3 shows you gamers follow the games and power.

2021 - Super Duper Nintendo launches on par with PlayStation 5 with a BD drive and a $50/year online service. 3 random classic games each month; keep one. For an extra $10 you can download and checkout unlimited classic Nintendo games (and Sega and maybe some PS1 stuff depending on licensing), but only one at a time. Introduce cloud saves, etc with a genuine friends list. Wii and Wii U backwards compatibility. Perhaps allow switch games to be digitally moved as goodwill. Box with one normal Wii U style pro controller. Sell games/gimmicks separately with killer apps.

Toss cash at From Software, Square, etc for an exclusive or two. Make sure you get Final Fantasy and shit like that back on your system even as multiplatform. Be ready at launch with either Zelda or the BotW-level evolution of online persistent world Pokémon. Sit back and win. Fuck. This is too easy.

Edit: should probably be in the switch thread but the SNES was making me think of better times for Nintendo.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Siliconemelons

That's what is hilarious. Hell, even their VC Eshop has the pirated ROMS :p

technically anything .nes or whatever it is - is a file made by some guy back in the day and can certain code tags - nintendo just used someones else s work - work that they themselves damned and condemned for YEARS and still do - thats why the interwebs was up in arms.

• 1Like

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I'm undecided on this strictly from a collector's viewpoint.

I wonder if Reggie is fully bought in on Nintendo BS? I mean, I have to think he sees some of what we see and just does his job.

Fixing Nintendo would be STUPID easy. Everyone and their mom knows Nintendo. The trouncing of the Xbone by PS4 after the near win-ultra-solid showing the 360 had against PS3 shows you gamers follow the games and power.

2021 - Super Duper Nintendo launches on par with PlayStation 5 with a BD drive and a $50/year online service. 3 random classic games each month; keep one. For an extra $10 you can download and checkout unlimited classic Nintendo games (and Sega and maybe some PS1 stuff depending on licensing), but only one at a time. Introduce cloud saves, etc with a genuine friends list. Wii and Wii U backwards compatibility. Perhaps allow switch games to be digitally moved as goodwill. Box with one normal Wii U style pro controller. Sell games/gimmicks separately with killer apps.

Toss cash at From Software, Square, etc for an exclusive or two. Make sure you get Final Fantasy and shit like that back on your system even as multiplatform. Be ready at launch with either Zelda or the BotW-level evolution of online persistent world Pokémon. Sit back and win. Fuck. This is too easy.

Edit: should probably be in the switch thread but the SNES was making me think of better times for Nintendo.

Just because you have the power doesn't mean 3rd parties will make games for your hardware - and Nintendo doesn't need it to make great games - so you'd possibly have an expensive powerful console (that Nintendo is taking a loss on most likely) that still only has Nintendo games. The main problem is that 3rd party studios don't want to compete with Nintendo first party software, and the sales data backs that up. That and Nintendo in the past didn't support 3rd party studios with marketing and development support like Sony or Microsoft. That's changed somewhat with the Switch, mainly thanks to nVidia being involved - the Switch supports most major middleware and graphics engines.

The GameCube was powerful and was mostly a failure. The Wii wasn't even HD and it trounced the PS3/360. Power only matters to a point.

To me the main things Nintendo needs to fix is their Accounts system (cloud saves, de-coupling accounts from hardware, etc), online infrastructure (which includes Virtual Console, VoIP, party systems), and their issues with supply and demand for their hardware. Software is the least of their worries.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The main problem is that 3rd party studios don't want to compete with Nintendo first party software, and the sales data backs that up..

Oh bullllshiiiitttt...

3rd Party studios don't want to be licensed out of the ass number 1, number 2, won't drift from mainline development for a multi-platform title to specialize in development of a port for a small install base with limited console power which will severely cripple the intended design experience, and number 3, don't care to use whatever anti-standard production method Nintendo dreams of next due to inherent cost and lack of mainstream manufacturing methods. (Mini Disc with the Gamecube, Non Standard DVD for the Wii, Carts for the Switch).

NIntendo first party titles don't compete with third party titles just as the plethora of awesome exclusives for PS4 don't hamper quality 3rd party / Multi-platform PS4 sales today.

3rd party doesn't work with Nintendo because Nintendo is a pain in the ass to work with from a financial and logistical perspective. It has nothing to do with "Oh man those 9 heavily anticipated 1st party titles came out over the course of the last 6 years... We will never be able to compete."

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Oh bullllshiiiitttt...

3rd Party studios don't want to be licensed out of the ass number 1, number 2, won't drift from mainline development for a multi-platform title to specialize in development of a port for a small install base with limited console power which will severely cripple the intended design experience, and number 3, don't care to use whatever anti-standard production method Nintendo dreams of next due to inherent cost and lack of mainstream manufacturing methods. (Mini Disc with the Gamecube, Non Standard DVD for the Wii, Carts for the Switch).

NIntendo first party titles don't compete with third party titles just as the plethora of awesome exclusives for PS4 don't hamper quality 3rd party / Multi-platform PS4 sales today.

3rd party doesn't work with Nintendo because Nintendo is a pain in the ass to work with from a financial and logistical perspective. It has nothing to do with "Oh man those 9 heavily anticipated 1st party titles came out over the course of the last 6 years... We will never be able to compete."

I still haven't found anything to support you claim in 1.

All I could find is during the GC era, Nintendo lowered their license fees to be in line with Sony and MS.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2003/04/10/licensing-fee-reductions-official