Snowpiercer

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Just saw this. Thoroughly enjoyed it but the ending did seem a little odd. Not looking for a tidy little conclusion, but it didn't really do anything for me.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think this just released in theaters in the US. I hope the re-did the CGI and maybe re-edited some of the movie. It had potential but it wasn't quite there.

Pumpkin Thief

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Just saw this. Really enjoyed it. it doesn't dethrone Children of Men as my fav dystopian film, but it is very good.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I enjoyed this movie. It was different and refreshing to see. I'd recommend it.

sukik

I just watched this and liked it.

I was half expecting it all to a big crazy fantasy made reality by the engineer, who would've had access to massive resources pre-train, and the world was just fine when the train stopped, all exterior views being faked and all that. But the end was fine the way it was. It's great food for thought because when I watch something like this I always ask myself if survival and such a base existence is enough for the sake of humanities survival? Well the screen writer and directors answer was a big ole fuck no. When those in the tail section saw what was required for the species as they knew it to continue existing they burnt it all down. No more human species. Except since there's a polar bear rolling around the mountains they find that life outside isn't impossible, and it's likely a better prepared and less crazy humanity survives elsewhere on the planet. But for them it's gonna be a short lived hope since everyone in the movie will die of hypothermia.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Couldn't suspend disbelief enough for this one. Too many crazy, over the top premises.

What were the protein bars made out of? Some sort of insect? Was hard to tell on the BRRip stream I watched.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
rrr_img_71598.jpg

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
To me, the best parts of this movie were the moments of satire which I thought wereextremelywell done.

sukik

What were the protein bars made out of? Some sort of insect? Was hard to tell on the BRRip stream I watched.
Cockroaches or black beetles of some kind. I think when the options are eating each other or eating cockroach bars, it'd prolly be alright. Not great compared to the people in the front of the train, but they wouldn't know any better. And don't many cultures eat bugs? protein and shit? I thought his disgust in that scene was hammed up for western audiences.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
I like how they released this movie to cable, etc. Cost less than the price of a theater ticket. Just popped it on randomly because why not.

I really enjoyed the movie. Good pacing and about the right length. It was shot well with lots of interesting scene changes throughout the train cars.

I only had a couple of minor quibles and didn't really like the ending.

Did they ever explain if there was something to the seemingly super soldier that had a hard on for the daughter? He just knew what she was and wanted her out of the picture?

Same with the little ninja boy pet of the old guy. Just some random super kid born on the train?

I liked the conversation with Wilford. Movie could have ended with Evans taking over control and the cycle repeating and that would have worked for me.

I also did not understand the point of blowing open that door. It seems like that would doom all of humanity as without the train operating you may be able to live outside for longer than 20 minutes, but then what? Couldn't they just bail out a thoroughly shot up window after a bit of work?

Or is it just wanting to show even being doomed is better than the lives they were living.

Neph_sl

shitlord
Saw it this weekend too, and maybe I wasn't in the right mood, but I just couldn't suspend my disbelief enough. Some of these are repeats.

Why did they have to keep moving? Couldn't they have just stopped somewhere? So what if you get covered with snow, you've got "the engine" to keep you warm inside the train.

Were they feeding the tail passengers bugs? How would they even have that many bugs to feed that many people daily? Feeding them other passengers would've made more sense.

Why even bother having a prison? Why not just kill dissenters and feed them to the tail people?

What was the point of dipping their axes in the fish?

Why did the super soldier target Yona?

Train barrels through a bunch of solid blocks of ice and doesn't derail or dent the front?

Who was maintaining the tracks? How does the world collapse with buildings falling apart and ships lying on their side, yet the tracks and bridges stayed perfectly usable?

I get that they were trying to make the front seem super nice, but after 17 years in a closed environment, I really wouldn't think that'd be the case. Where are you going to make the cleaning supplies / paint / replacement parts / etc to keep things that pristine.

Gilliam and Wilford were talking on the phone the entire time, yet no one overheard Gilliam in the tail, where everyone was cramped together

Why did that one kid jump into the engine?

If the world is warming up anyways, why wouldn't you just wait a little longer instead of blowing up the train and killing pretty much everyone

That polar bear totally ate those survivors.

If everything died from the cold, wtf were polar bears eating for the past 17 years?

I was really hoping for something more from this movie given the ratings, but I just couldn't get past all the holes.

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Not sure what to tell you... Go watch a documentary on trains while the rest of us enjoy a post apocalyptic movie based on fiction? I can sort of agree with the non explained stuff regarding the asian chick and the terminators but going all antsy because WHY TRAINS... its the setting of the movie.

Neph_sl

shitlord
It's not just "why trains". The first 5 minutes of the movie sets it up to be in the not-too-distant future with global warming being fought by some substance that causes massive global cooling. Fine, I can live with that. But as the movie progresses, all these inconsistencies just keep popping up until by the end of it, you can't suspend disbelief anymore.

I mean, I enjoyed the movie: the action, acting, and set pieces were fun and interesting...
There were a lot of cool moments like the tunnel fight and classroom scene. But for every cool moment, there's another where you're just like, "huh, that doesn't quite fit". It started with the bugs in the vat for me, then the gun fight while the train was turning, then the super soldier getting up after being dead, Wilford's speech, the kid walking into the engine, etc. So once the credits roll, you're thinking back to all of those bits and the movie falls apart in retrospect.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's not just "why trains". The first 5 minutes of the movie sets it up to be in the not-too-distant future with global warming being fought by some substance that causes massive global cooling. Fine, I can live with that. But as the movie progresses, all these inconsistencies just keep popping up until by the end of it, you can't suspend disbelief anymore.

I mean, I enjoyed the movie: the action, acting, and set pieces were fun and interesting...
There were a lot of cool moments like the tunnel fight and classroom scene. But for every cool moment, there's another where you're just like, "huh, that doesn't quite fit". It started with the bugs in the vat for me, then the gun fight while the train was turning, then the super soldier getting up after being dead, Wilford's speech, the kid walking into the engine, etc. So once the credits roll, you're thinking back to all of those bits and the movie falls apart in retrospect.
I don't disagree with everything you said, but as for the polar bears, my take was it meant that NOT everything was gone and that the planet could potentially come back. I could be totally wrong though.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
This movie isn't really supposed to be taken that seriously. You're beaten over the heat with the message intentionally. It's the reason the absurd satirical moments work so well. Like a modern day A Boy and His Dog or the Fallout games. No offense man, but if you're focusing on the inconsistencies of the world created, you're really missing the point of the whole thing. That's not what this one is about.

sukik

This movie isn't really supposed to be taken that seriously. You're beaten over the heat with the message intentionally. It's the reason the absurd satirical moments work so well. Like a modern day A Boy and His Dog or the Fallout games. No offense man, but if you're focusing on the inconsistencies of the world created, you're really missing the point of the whole thing. That's not what this one is about.
This. I answered the questions for giggles

Why did they have to keep moving? Couldn't they have just stopped somewhere? So what if you get covered with snow, you've got "the engine" to keep you warm inside the train.

Because script.

Were they feeding the tail passengers bugs? How would they even have that many bugs to feed that many people daily? Feeding them other passengers would've made more sense.

To gross out westerners

Why even bother having a prison? Why not just kill dissenters and feed them to the tail people?

The script needed conflict.

What was the point of dipping their axes in the fish?

Art. Prime the axe for killing

Why did the super soldier target Yona?

Super solider was a mad dog.

Train barrels through a bunch of solid blocks of ice and doesn't derail or dent the front?

Train magic.

Who was maintaining the tracks? How does the world collapse with buildings falling apart and ships lying on their side, yet the tracks and bridges stayed perfectly usable?

magic

I get that they were trying to make the front seem super nice, but after 17 years in a closed environment, I really wouldn't think that'd be the case. Where are you going to make the cleaning supplies / paint / replacement parts / etc to keep things that pristine.

magic

Gilliam and Wilford were talking on the phone the entire time, yet no one overheard Gilliam in the tail, where everyone was cramped together

magic

Why did that one kid jump into the engine?

he wanted to be one with the machine

If the world is warming up anyways, why wouldn't you just wait a little longer instead of blowing up the train and killing pretty much everyone

Freedom is more important than survival

That polar bear totally ate those survivors.

and had leftovers for weeks

If everything died from the cold, wtf were polar bears eating for the past 17 years?

The point of the polar bear was to show that the big disaster didn't kill everyone and the train was the conductors own private fantasy island/experiment/whatever