Snowpiercer

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Agree, and I'm pretty sure that is what they were going to cut out of the american version too, just because it's so hard-hitting.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bioshock meets Brazil. Aside from some shoddy CGI scenes the production value in this movie is amazing. Whoever built those sets is incredible. Good solid sci-fi, and they have some nice built in explanations for all the haters out there.

Can someone who watched a version with sub-titles spoiler an explanation for me on what the conversation in Korean at the end of the movie was all about?

Raes

Vyemm Raider
You mean unedited? There is no edited version, they agreed that instead of cutting it down, there'd be a limited release.

Watched it yesterday. Was not impressed. It was merely "ok" and the ending was stupid. Whole thing was very asian, and not really in a good way.

Also quite a bit irritated (since I watched it without subtitles) that they actually have a translator device, but refuse to actually let the audience hear most of the fucking translations.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the movie. Tilda Swinton was great.
Can someone who watched a version with sub-titles spoiler an explanation for me on what the conversation in Korean at the end of the movie was all about?
Would also like an explanation or video with subtitles for this scene. The whole movie made sense except
for the part where Captain America blows up the train. Ed Harris character was fun but it was tough to take that entire scene seriously, between Ed Harris handing control over to Chris Evans, to the kids being forced to rake muck, to how little he seemed to care about the incredible danger presented by the revolution.

Goatface

MiLLENiUM rip has hardcoded subs for all non-english parts
chat before the door
It is a beautiful story, Curtis.
But I do not want to open that door.
You know what I want?
I want to open another door.
But not that one.
This one.
It opens to the outside.
She was sentenced for 18 years.
Everyone thinks it is a wall.
But it's a fucking door.
Open it and get us out of here.
I know.
But maybe we can survive.
Remember the Bridge of Yekaterina?
When we massacred then with axes.
Every New Year I check something.
We see the wreckage of a plane.
Under the snow.
There for ten years.
Its tail barely visible.
But now I can see the fuselage and wings.
There is less snow and ice.
It's melting.
The snow is thining.
Not long before it all goes.
Recently,
you know what I saw?
Outside, there were...Rain drops.
I'm wasting my breath telling you this.
You don't agree with me right?
Kronol is......highly combustable.
One spark and BOOM!
Basically, it's a fucking bomb.
I don't want it just to get wasted.
But have been saving it to blow open that door.
Matches, quickly.

i didn't like terminator guy one bit, the rest of it was enjoyable.
wouldn't it have to be like -300+ to freeze like that?

Goatface

Director said they mostly wanted the movie as a whole to have a faster tempo, also it his 1st cut, there was voice overs at the beginning and end that they wanted to add back.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
MiLLENiUM rip has hardcoded subs for all non-english parts
chat before the door
It is a beautiful story, Curtis.
But I do not want to open that door.
You know what I want?
I want to open another door.
But not that one.
This one.
It opens to the outside.
She was sentenced for 18 years.
Everyone thinks it is a wall.
But it's a fucking door.
Open it and get us out of here.
I know.
But maybe we can survive.
Remember the Bridge of Yekaterina?
When we massacred then with axes.
Every New Year I check something.
We see the wreckage of a plane.
Under the snow.
There for ten years.
Its tail barely visible.
But now I can see the fuselage and wings.
There is less snow and ice.
It's melting.
The snow is thining.
Not long before it all goes.
Recently,
you know what I saw?
Outside, there were...Rain drops.
I'm wasting my breath telling you this.
You don't agree with me right?
Kronol is......highly combustable.
One spark and BOOM!
Basically, it's a fucking bomb.
I don't want it just to get wasted.
But have been saving it to blow open that door.
Matches, quickly.

i didn't like terminator guy one bit, the rest of it was enjoyable.
wouldn't it have to be like -300+ to freeze like that?
Yeah that totally changes the ending for me, sort of. The polar bear showing up made me think, "Oh yeah they're totally going to live.", but it's good to know that blowing up the door was intentional because he assumed they'd live.

Even still it's a pretty dumb move. If shit is thawing out just wait another ten years and everyone can get off the train. But I can accept that ending either way.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I bet the ending was one of the things the producer wanted to re-edit for American audiences.
Yeah, you're right, it was a great ending. Obviously

the two children who appear to be the only survivors aren't going to die of hypothermia as soon as the sun goes down.
My bad.

Douchebag.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Yeah that totally changes the ending for me, sort of. The polar bear showing up made me think, "Oh yeah they're totally going to live.", but it's good to know that blowing up the door was intentional because he assumed they'd live.

Even still it's a pretty dumb move. If shit is thawing out just wait another ten years and everyone can get off the train. But I can accept that ending either way.
I don't think the majority of them would have had the chance to live another ten years.

Also so glad that this is finally out (and thanks for the translation of the last scene), Memories of Murder is straight up my favorite movie so was super excited to watch this.

Chillz

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Sorry, i was not able to suspend disbelief on this one. Why a train? Who does maintenance on the tracks? Where is all the storage required for so many people? And many more questions kept me from enjoying this one. The setting really irked me, otherwise it could have been a decent but surreal sci fi movie.

I was trying to see more in it, like a metaphor on humankind on its way to ruin but then again it wasn't deep enough since it relied to much on superficial crap instead of philosophy. The whole movie felt like that scene in the Matrix where the architect is bullshitting everone and in the end you are as smart as before.

Am i doing it wrong?

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sorry, i was not able to suspend disbelief on this one. Why a train? Who does maintenance on the tracks? Where is all the storage required for so many people? And many more questions kept me from enjoying this one. The setting really irked me, otherwise it could have been a decent but surreal sci fi movie.

I was trying to see more in it, like a metaphor on humankind on its way to ruin but then again it wasn't deep enough since it relied to much on superficial crap instead of philosophy. The whole movie felt like that scene in the Matrix where the architect is bullshitting everone and in the end you are as smart as before.

Am i doing it wrong?
Not really. Most movies boil down to needing some suspension of disbelief in some part. Every movie Ive ever watched could probably be broken down to pages of nerd rage about why x y and z were unbelievable, unlikely to happen or just stupid. Either the movie just works for you in spite of this, or it doesn't. In this case, I loved the idea, the acting was great (tilda swinton especially), and the story was intriguing enough that the stuff like who would fix the tracks became irrelevant to me. This type of stuff only really gets to me when the movie is just so poor and has nothing going for it at all that everything becomes stupid and absurd. Take a movie like Melancholia for example, which I really liked. Im sure the physics etc. made absolutely no sense, but it was more about the movie's portrayal of depression and the characters rather than the asteroid, the science is not so important.

It was the same in this movie, the global warming and the train are just a way to get different social classes in a train together to see what happens, and questions like how can the tracks be maintained etc become irrelevant. The terminator guy was stupid though.

Goatface

don't remember if there were any shots of the whole train, but in the book it is 1,001 cars long.
going by our current trains, that would make it about 11 miles long.

sawthe mapi think was in the kids film, guess they were in Kazakhstan

no idea if there is any talk of a sequel, but there is a 2nd book

Snowpiercer, Vol.2: The Explorers
A second train also travels through the snow on the same track, its inhabitants living in constant fear of crashing into the first Snowpiercer.And from this second train, a small group of scavenging explorers emerges, risking their lives in the deadly cold?

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I was able to suspend my disbelief about the train, but I just didn't like the whole look and feel of the movie. The person that said Bioshock mixed with Brazil probably hit that on the head, since I hated Brazil. That's probably why I didn't enjoy this movie at all. I got where they were trying to go with the movie, I feel, but I'm not a big fan of that whole Brazil look and feel.

I did think Chris Evans did a great job though. The first few minutes of the film I was actually debating with myself whether that was him or not.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
So, Chris Evans is the first human being to walk the entire length of the train. Ok, cool I guess.
Well, aside from all the kids coming from the end of the train and used as engine spare parts.

In the grand scheme of things, I realize that's quite a minor point. I can suspend disbelief and let a lot of stuff fly by for the sake of the overall story, but contradicting a previous statement within 5min just makes me wince.