Snowpiercer

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Am also sharing the idea that the polar bear = the world isnt what we were told during the movie. There is this lill scene that happens in the school where Wilford his shown has a kid and plainly says something like : ''when am older i wanna live on a train forever! '' Yes a cataclysm happened but not to the extent Wilford plays it. The guy wanted to keep his microcosm society running for as long has he could. Hes the same kind of lunatic we see in the bioshock games who wants to run his experimental lill world.

Xevy

Log Wizard
They didn't eat every day. They even complained about it. And bugs are high protein and reproduce very quickly.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The ending was hilarious for me. I know it was supposed to be hopeful and shit, but they crashed the train, killed probably 99% of the people on it, and are now going to freeze to death/get eaten by bears.

Overall did enjoy it though.

tower

Golden Knight of the Realm
The ending was hilarious for me. I know it was supposed to be hopeful and shit, but they crashed the train, killed probably 99% of the people on it, and are now going to freeze to death/get eaten by bears.

I think that was the point.
Chris Evansryman spent the whole movie wanting to get to the front of the train. He does everything you'd expect of someone going up the social ladder by sacrificing/losing all his friends as they ran out of value along the way, then at the end when he sees the abused kids realizes he's been obsessed with trying to fix a fucked system the whole time. Finally he accepts, risks be damned, that the only hope for humanity is to blow up the system. The trade off is that blowing up the system kills practically everyone. Humanity survives by grasping to hope, thus we're left with that scene, but the reality is they're done. Polar bear or not magical asian chick and a brainwashed 8 year old aren't getting the human race repopulated in a frozen wasteland.

Theoretically, running the system for another X years and then stopping it without crashing would give the human race a better shot at survival but Captain America decided it wasn't worth it once he saw what that meant. That and having to sacrifice himself (because the revolutionary is a shit leader without a revolution...makes a great martyr on the other hand) were the two draws I took out of the end.

Rough in spots but overall a satisfying watch. The first half was fantastic but imo it peaked at the education car and was downhill after it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
finally got around to seeing this, so much hype for this movie. it was good. i liked the actors and it was well made. first half is awesome. middle part was just ok. when those 2 asians and the ravers start fighting then discount terminator shows up, the movie turns to shit. sorry if i offended anyone by saying that, but at that point i started laughing at this movie and then they went full retard with that hippy dippy ending. the message was that the little ice age is ending and the bears are back, hope for the future. reality is bears do not hibernate for 17 years and so there was never a mini ice age and those 2 people who horribly murdered the train passengers are about to get their asses eaten by polar bears.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Late to the party but this is on Netflix now and I regret watching it, I can't turn my brain off to these kinds of movies and the plot holes are so plentiful it killed any enjoyment.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Almost done with it.
I like it alot honestly.

Yes, the absurdity coming at you left and right is hard to get over at times. I think this is one of those sci-fi movies, where it really hedges the line. like you go back and watch something like Barbarella, Logans run, zardoz, westworld, even planet of the apes. The logic makes no fucking sense. and you can pick it to pieces.

This movie really reminds me of Battle Royale. Same deal. Like the very concept of a crazy school teacher somehow getting the political power to enact a martial system to send random teens into a death match arena, is just nonsensical.
Or equilibrim and gun-kata and all its nonsense.
Heck, even the Bioshock franchise. This movies train is no more absurd then Columbia, or Rapture.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know if that's the same. I haven't seen this movie, but I was ok with the absurdness of Columbia or Rapture because pretty much anything in scifi gets a pass on its premise. Flying city(or the tech that enables it)? ok. Underwater city? ok. Reanimated corpses? ok. Serial killer working for the police? ok.

It's after you've established your wacky premise and how it might integrate into the "normal" world, that the watcher can begin picking stuff apart. Walking Dead sucks not for having zombies, but for not plausibly explaining how shambling corpses cause the apocalypse.

Vinen

God is dead
Almost done with it.
I like it alot honestly.

Yes, the absurdity coming at you left and right is hard to get over at times. I think this is one of those sci-fi movies, where it really hedges the line. like you go back and watch something like Barbarella, Logans run, zardoz, westworld, even planet of the apes. The logic makes no fucking sense. and you can pick it to pieces.

This movie really reminds me of Battle Royale. Same deal. Like the very concept of a crazy school teacher somehow getting the political power to enact a martial system to send random teens into a death match arena, is just nonsensical.
Or equilibrim and gun-kata and all its nonsense.
Heck, even the Bioshock franchise. This movies train is no more absurd then Columbia, or Rapture.
Except it's not the teacher with the political power. He was just given control of that specific Battle Royale. The system was put in place by the Government of Japan.

That said, I found Snowpiercer to be a pretty terrible move overall. It felt like a ramrod of global warming.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
They didn't eat every day. They even complained about it. And bugs are high protein and reproduce very quickly.
Its kinda gross but if you are stuck on a train living off only the resources available on it insects are a pretty reasonable way to make large quantities of protein in a limited space.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

HAHA ya that was my thing I know you are aiming for hopeful but you are now stranded with most of humanity dead in an inhospitable place and likely will be eaten by polar bears. Congrats you "win".

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
HAHA ya that was my thing I know you are aiming for hopeful but you are now stranded with most of humanity dead in an inhospitable place and likely will be eaten by polar bears. Congrats you "win".
couldnt... couldn't we have just stayed on the train for a couple more years guys? Theres food... warmth.. we can just ride it out. If we seriously think Earths getting better, we can just wait it out.
that said, as noted. if there is a bear alive... the entire premise seems flawed.
But there we go. asking for logic.

And yeah, the bug thing ALSO was stupid. Not nearly as revolting as suggested. Only made dumber, when its relieved they have chickens.
What the bugs eat, I dont even know.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
the overall message for this movie was what turned the second half into crap. basically if you are rich, then you are evil and deserve to die. did anyone see what those rich people were doing (i am referring to the school room, the posh dinner parties, the rave party, the aquarium setup, the beauty salon) as something that warrants a death sentence? wasnt it revealed that those "poor" people were not supposed to be on the train in the first place? the second part of the movie really shits on the momentum of the epic first half. then the retarded ending just leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth. in my previous post i said the movie was good, but as time goes on all i can think of when i think of that film was the second half. this was just like Law Abiding Citizen. epic movie completely ruined at the end.

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
If you guys didn't like the movie that's fine, but are you really ragging on a dystopian movie about class warfare? It's overdone but it's also kind of a hallmark of the genre.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This movie would have been much more enjoyable for me if they just made the train on some kind of maglev in a tunnel or something futuristic. Traditional railroad tracks was just just too much to let go.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
couldnt... couldn't we have just stayed on the train for a couple more years guys? Theres food... warmth.. we can just ride it out. If we seriously think Earths getting better, we can just wait it out.
that said, as noted. if there is a bear alive... the entire premise seems flawed.
But there we go. asking for logic.

And yeah, the bug thing ALSO was stupid. Not nearly as revolting as suggested. Only made dumber, when its relieved they have chickens.
What the bugs eat, I dont even know.
That would have been the logical play. You see stuff is melting so okay accept the roll to be the conductor of the train wait another 3-5 years as the planet continues to warm and then stop the train when/if you find a place thats reasonably thawed and has some open water for drinking and maybe some obvious food source.

Northerner

N00b
What a very strange movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly but it was definitely something I'd hate if I wasn't in the right mood.

Pretty damned fantastic set design and cinematography no matter how you look at it but some of the scenes took it way beyond quirky and almost forced you to roll your eyes. Just let me try and hold on to my suspension of disbelief! I'm still pretty sure I liked it a lot though.

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
What I hated most about this movie is that Netflix thought I would rate it 5 stars.
frown.png