Soccer 2013-2014

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Welp, 1-0 against Huddersfield is 3 points at least! Sadly Leeds won and I hadn't appreciated that fucker Barton was back at QPR as he played today.

This made me laugh
What must Dale Jennings feel like tonight? Making his return to English football after a spell at European champions Bayern Munich, his substitute appearance lasted about five minutes before he was shown red for a terrible challenge on Wigan's James McArthur. His Barnsley team went on to lose 4-0.
Welcome back!
biggrin.png

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So the Emirates crowd booed the team, at half time, in a pre season friendly - madness

Then Wenger came out with the usual bollocks about not needing a striker cause they signed that French kid

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Read Suarez is the only Liverpool player not to attend Gerrards post-match dinner. Also read that 5pur2 lost again today, by that very famous - always enjoyable scoreline. Pre-season blah blah blah, still enjoyable.

Reports of 105m for Bale, in several 20m installments. Absolutely fucking crazy.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Emirates also booed Higuain, which is a fucking joke. Not his fault he's in Napoli. Clueless.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
LOL

"According to Spanish network Cadena Ser, Bale has not left his home all day and has told Levy he will only leave his house to sign for Real Madrid."

There is absolutely no way this is true, right? RIGHT? That is the funniest/stupidest thing I've ever read.

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
Hearing that Bale is threatening to go on strike next week if Levy doesn't accept Real's offer.

Decado

Golden Knight of the Realm
If Levy doesn't accept the offer then he's a fucking spanner. Bale is a fantastic player but 80-100m for a team like Spurs? They could buy the spine of a really good team for that without any problem

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I've been on vacation for basically the last week so just catching up on some stuff but Brit papers on the whole are garbage. Why is it always that a club will bid in the next week or the player will ask to move by the end of the week? Either a club is bidding or they are not, either a player is requesting out or they aren't. It amazes me that people would continue to pay for and read a rag that writes on a daily basis that every club in the EPL and possibly Europe is at Defcon 1 for the entire time of the transfer window. I'm pretty sure in any of these teams offices people aren't running around screaming and acting like the place is burning down, well unless we're talking about Newcastle. It's interesting to see what teams are willing to play and who is moving where but in the grand scheme of things all but a very small percentage of these transfers will have really any effect on where a club finishes.

As far as transfers, Costa had 12g/8a last year playing out wide for A. Madrid. This is 12g/8a more than Downing has in his dreams, I'm all for spending whatever it takes for LFC not to have to let Downing see anything other than the reserves for this year.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Usually a player is desperate to leave Arsenal, not the other way around. Pretty amazed by Suarez at this point though I shouldn't be surprised.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Everyone knows Arsenal is a stepping stone. Since RM isn't happening, he wants to get some CL action in to setup a real move somewhere.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Love the Liverpool fans who've cheered him, defended him, and stuck up for him during all of his drama - only to turn on him today after a single interview. I'd have turned on him in June, when he categorically stated he didn't want to be at Pool any longer. Much like I did with RVP last summer when he published his infamous letter. Once a player "checks out", its only a matter of time before they're off. Sometimes being naive is endearing, others embarrassing. Whether Arsenal is a stepping stone to Suarez or not is largely irrelevant to me - I don't even like the guy, but I'll cheer as loudly for the goals he'll score as the goals Santi, Theo & Poldi score while he's in an Arsenal uniform. You won't see me defend him if/when he bites on someone else, spits on someone else, or tries to force his way out. If he signs, he'll be in London 2 years at a minimum, and everyone knows that signing that first class player is always the hardest part - think if he signs others will follow either this window or next (maybe not at Suarez' level, but certainly better than the likes of Chamakh, Park, or Gervinho - who I will miss believe it or not.

All that said, still struggle to see the deal go through unless we stump up 5m+ more if for no other reason than to allow Liverpool a chance to save some face. After the dipshit owners tweet, Rodgers' vehement denial that Liverpool would sell to Arsenal etc - I struggle to see Liverpool shipping him off to Arsenal without a little something extra. Speaking of Rodgers, I think he's handled the entire thing (for the most part - calling Arsenal "classless", when LFC is the party responsible for leaking the bids is pretty lulz) remarkably well. Unfortunately for him and LFC, player power means more than contracts, managers wishes, and loyalty. Its a shame, and something as an Arsenal fan I'm all too familiar with. Shit, we've been losing players left and right and we've been in CL for 16 years on the trot. It's even harder on teams outside CL, and makes it super, super hard to crack the top 4. Still not impossible though, as THFC is proving this summer. They've made some great signings (about as good as possible without CL I reckon), but even with those signings they are in for an uphill battle.

Not sure why so many Arsenal fans on twitter are celebrating either... This interview doesn't tell anyone with a brain what we didn't already know. The guy would still jump at Madrid/Bayern if they rang him up, so this saga is far, far from over.

Watching Everton tonight - Mirallas really is a quality little player. Everton were lucky to have gotten him.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
5m more? Hah, if the clause was what Suarez said it is and what his agent and him made Arsenal believe it was with their bid then there wouldn't be a need to bid anything further. LFC have been pretty consistent on what it's going to take to get him, not our fault that none of his preferred teams want him. To then think we have to sell him to Arsenal for whatever Arsenal are willing to pay is laughable.

Elerion

N00b
Still not impossible though, as THFC is proving this summer. They've made some great signings (about as good as possible without CL I reckon), but even with those signings they are in for an uphill battle.
I'm guessing it's quite a bit easier to sign top players when you're located in London rather than fucking Liverpool. If I was making the kind of money these guys are making and I was choosing between second tier clubs, I'd put a lot of value in living somewhere that was either really beautiful/comfortable (say European Riviera) or really interesting/entertaining (global metropolis like London). I love Liverpool's history and club spirit, but fuck living there.

Elerion

N00b
Once.

Put it this way: If you're making 100k GBP per week, would you rather live in the city with 2 1-star Michelin restaurants, or the city with 55 1-star, 12 2-star and 4 3-star Michelin restaurants?

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
really beautiful/comfortable (say European Riviera) or really interesting/entertaining (global metropolis like London).
Not going to deny that somewhere like Monaco (European Riviera) or Capital Cities (London, Paris, Madrid) etc are more attractive locations but you're really doing Liverpool a disservice.

Fact is from a UK perspective, the South has London and that's it. The North has Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds all within driving distance of eachother, and those three cities are infinitely more cosmopolitan than anything the South (minus London) can offer. Liverpool itself has had so much money invested into it over the last 20-30years that every time I go there I am surprised by how different it is to the last time.

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not going to deny that somewhere like Monaco (European Riviera) or Capital Cities (London, Paris, Madrid) etc are more attractive locations but you're really doing Liverpool a disservice.

Fact is from a UK perspective, the South has London and that's it. The North has Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds all within driving distance of eachother, and those three cities are infinitely more cosmopolitan than anything the South (minus London) can offer. Liverpool itself has had so much money invested into it over the last 20-30years that every time I go there I am surprised by how different it is to the last time.
I have read some shit in my time on this forums but this takes the biscuit. The North of England is a shit hole, no one in there right mind would want to live there rather then the S.E of England

Hutchy

Lord Nagafen Raider
There's some nice places around Manchester and Cheshire areas which are already heavily populated by footballers and that's about it. If I was a footballer, I would not want to be in Manchester over London. :p

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I have read some shit in my time on this forums but this takes the biscuit. The North of England is a shit hole, no one in there right mind would want to live there rather then the S.E of England
Way to generalise there, where are you from? I was born in Liverpool and lived there until the age of 7, still have family up there so travel up there several times a year. From Liverpool we moved to Portsmouth and then Southampton (both South Coast).

TRUST ME, Liverpool shits all over anything Portsmouth and Southampton can offer. Even if you combine the two they still don't come close to what Liverpool can offer in terms of culture, history, shops and nightlife. Factor in Manchester and Leeds and you have a trifecta that could only be rivalled by London.

I'm not going to deny that there is a North/South divide in the UK but there are a whole host of socio-economic reasons behind that. The simple truth is that the North did worse than the South as the UK transitioned from a manufacturing economy to a services one but as I originally said Liverpool has had so much investment over the last 20-30 years that it is a radically different City to that of the 80s. The North-East on the other hand, then yeah I can't imagine why anyone would want to live there but then again I've never been to the region so that opinion is probably as uneducated and uninformed as yours and Elerions.

Go ahead and name me one City south of Birmingham other than London that would be more attractive to a footballer than living adjacent to Liverpool/Manchester.

There's some nice places around Manchester and Cheshire areas which are already heavily populated by footballers and that's about it. If I was a footballer, I would not want to be in Manchester over London. :p
I never said any footballer would want to be in Manchester over London, I specifically referenced Capital Cities in my post

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I live in Kent, lived in South East London for 20 years. My job makes me travel over the whole of England pretty often especially in Manchester. Your point is muted by the fact that London is so big with so many nice surrounding areas that you don't need to be near a city, if you live in the South East of England you can be in London in less then 2 hours even from the furthest away areas. Which means there are not many cities which makes the area a whole lot nicer place to live, bring up kids etc.

You Mentioned Leeds as a reason to live in the North sorry but even a blind man could tell what a shit hole that place is, Liverpool is okay but only in a very small area the vast majority of it I would avoid like the plague. Manchester is best city up north I would say 2nd best city in England but like I said S.E of England vs Manchester give me S.E every time. Much nicer place to live in the outskirts and a much better city on your doorstep.

I also lived on Hayling Island (you should no that if you live Portsmouth Way) and I agree both Southampton and Portsmouth are not the nicest of places but Southampton is better then most places up North.