Soccer 2017-2018

Gurgeh

Silver Baronet of the Realm
btw will the US, Canada AND mexico automaticaly qualify in the next world cup ?

Utne

Molten Core Raider
Crucial win against Peru. We weren't good, but I'll take the win regardless! Thank you Schmeichel!

Their penalty was an obvious dive..

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
btw will the US, Canada AND mexico automaticaly qualify in the next world cup ?

With the expansion to 48 teams this really doesn’t matter if the answer is yes. What id like to know is how Qatar or Russia will be able to bribe their way to another host win with the amount of stadiums that will be needed in going forward. It’s basically restricted to Germany, England and the US for the foreseeable future.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
With the expansion to 48 teams this really doesn’t matter if the answer is yes. What id like to know is how Qatar or Russia will be able to bribe their way to another host win with the amount of stadiums that will be needed in going forward. It’s basically restricted to Germany, England and the US for the foreseeable future.

with more slots allocated to Europe, I see no problem for the bolsheviks to make the next world cup.

Szlia

Seeing how Germany was absolutely unable to deal with the speed of the mexican team, they might also have a tough time against South Korea (as, usually, they play at break neck speed).

Utne

Molten Core Raider
Quite the upset. We played Mexico a few weeks ago and it definitely wasn't this team we saw. I liked what I saw from Mexico though tonight, fast paced attacking football.

It's Germany though, so they'll probably bounce right back.. At least they ought to with the quality they possess.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Huge result for Mexico, that group gets a little more interesting for sure.

Szlia

Just one match got played in group F so it's a bit early to say, but if it gets likely that Germany ends up N°2 in its group (as, with this win, Mexico could very well ends up first), that might have some impact on group E. I am not sure Brazil would be super happy to win in its group for the privilege to play against Germany in the round of 16!

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Neymar...just take a rip. Great result for the Swiss, missed opportunity for Brazil.

Szlia

There are shared responsibilities in that 1-1. Brazil is to blame, because after they scored the goal, they stopped to press high and allowed Switzerland to stay afloat. Also, once a wrench was thrown into their well oiled machine, they suddenly got nervous during 30 mins, only finding some quality collective offense in the final minutes of the game. Switzerland is to be credited, they managed to survive a first period in which they were dominated almost through and through and react very well at the start of the second half. While not exactly pretty, with a number of fouls to disrupt the brazillian's game, they spared no effort collectively to defend that result and even tried to win with some counter attacks (they even tried to play a free kick fast when there were 5 min left on the clock!).

To be fair, the swiss goal could very well have been canceled by the ref'. It's even more surprising that it did not even get reviewed by the video referee. I guess when you score one goal and think the match is over, you expose yourself to this kind of things....

Side note: of all the "big teams" so far, France is probably the one that played the worst, but it's also the only one that actually won! Portugal, Spain, Argentina, Brazil all drew their game and Germany lost!

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Just some overall thoughts so far:

-VAR has been surprisingly good so far which is surprising considering most of the refs haven't used it before. It's been relatively quick and all the decisions were seemingly correct.
-It's easy to forget this isn't club soccer which I do myself. Aside from the teams that have a core that play on the same team most of these players only play together for a week every couple of months. It's much easier to drill a defense than it is to create a free flowing offensive machine. Overall the games have been pretty good which is great.
-All of the announcers on Fox are fucking garbage, just watching the Spanish streams in going forward as I'd rather not understand then suffer through all their bullshit. ESPN at least tried but for Fox when the smartest one talking is Lalas you know something is wrong.

Couple of team thoughts from the games I was at least able to watch this weekend:
-For Germany, Kroos offers almost nothing defensively and partnering him with Khedira is almost crazy level for immobile midfield. I don't see how Germany changes that short of a formation change and this might be a tough WC for them.
-For France, basically Deschamps is a fucking retard and is doing his best to shackle a team that should just be crazy offensive into stodginess and it is sad to watch.
-For Brazil, Coutinho and Neymar ran into each other at least 3 times in that first half. Combined with Marcelo they have basically 3 LW's all occupying the same space and it's completely tilting their attack. The Swiss didn't even need to defend one half the field almost.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user