SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Regime,

How you doing good buddy. Glad you enjoyed some agnarr.

It was a lot of fun. I loved Phinny and Agnarr. I truly miss Al’Kabor. Many good friends have disappeared like dust in the wind.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Maybe this will finally get the government to ban these virtual currencies like Krono, Xbox Live Points, etc...

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
They run quite a lot of games really. EQ1 and EQ2 both of which still probably have ~50-100k players, Planetside 2 which still probably has a fair amount of players, DCUO which apparently hasn't closed down yet somehow, H1Z1 which does have crates/keys system although the game is more or less dead nowadays after PUBG and Fortnite, D&D online which is probably only a small amount of players and LOTRO which still releases expansions and shit so I assume they're like EQ/EQ2 and has a fair amount of players still, a lot of which are probably whales and shit that have been playing for 10years now plus it's F2P and sells a bunch of shit.

So overall, it does seem like a very solid low profile portfolio with a fair amount of fake currency being generated everyday. All these games have cash shop systems and the mmos especially have all the usual mmo systems that some people can't seem to stop using like race changes, name changes, server transfers and so on, as well as some F2P games thrown in.

Oddly enough DDO is still going strong. They just put a new xpac out in Nov/Dec and did a major class overhaul a couple weeks ago. The people that still play it are seriously devoted.

• 1Like

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Well, this may explain why the Russian guilds were so good in EQ2.

Maybe Schilling will buy it all up.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
How far is this trail of breadcrumbs going to lead? It's only a matter of time before they figure out that Putin hired Tyen to spam Facebook with all his bots, winning the election for Trump.

• 1Worf

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
trolld Eqemu discord for like an hour.

Came to the conclusion that every single one of them, including top brass, has absoluely no plans for if EQ shuts down. Better than that, When/If EQ shuts down, they have absolutely no plans to do anything differently.

I've been bitching the entire time that they need to make a web front-end where pepople can run/manage their own EQ servers. Apparently thats too much and too stupid to ask for so I'm just going to do it myself

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

tyen

<Banned>
I have given you, the EQ community, so much. I will give you more.

I will give all of me to you.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

tyen

<Banned>
my weiner is so hard tonight knowing the only reason daybreak reached out to rogaine was to bitch about me

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Man you're really tryharding tonight. Are you angling to become the new Everquest Czar?

Don't get me wrong it would be hilarious if Tyen was in charge of Everquest in the future. So meta.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Well, this may explain why the Russian guilds were so good in EQ2.

Maybe Schilling will buy it all up.

There are people out there that legitimately believe that the Russians bought the company because they got tired of losing in EQ2 and some rich Russian fuck said "I WIN NOW"

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Oddly enough DDO is still going strong. They just put a new xpac out in Nov/Dec and did a major class overhaul a couple weeks ago. The people that still play it are seriously devoted.

Anyone know how's LOTRO holding up? Anyone still playing LOTRO? Hearing about it in this thread re: still releasing expacs has me wanting to check it out. I liked a lot of the design choices and the traditional MMO group experience.

Tried to get into back into WoW with Legion-- but too new school.

tyen

<Banned>
Man you're really tryharding tonight. Are you angling to become the new Everquest Czar?

Don't get me wrong it would be hilarious if Tyen was in charge of Everquest in the future. So meta.

trump, mueller, a_skeleton_03, olscratch, keg, tyen, greedy russians. EQ will now belong to the people because of these heroes.

Never forget that our president was found guilty of russian campaign contributions in order for us to get everquest emulators that csn charge us money to play.

my mind cant even handle the winning that trump just handed us. no other community will benefit more from trump than us just now. I just ate a pill bros

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
Came to the conclusion that every single one of them, including top brass, has absoluely no plans for if EQ shuts down. Better than that, When/If EQ shuts down, they have absolutely no plans to do anything differently.

I became a developer when Al'Kabor sunset and I've been on a mission to preserve EQ ever since. For the last 4.5 years I've been parsing NPC statistics and deciphering game mechanics-- and that's pretty much all I've been doing in my free time since. (although did play Path of Exile for a few months. good game)

My plan was to start collecting immediately instead of waiting for a shutdown notice and scrambling to collect data in a short time frame like what happened to Al'Kabor, so I prioritized my collection accordingly. So I wouldn't say that there is 'no plan'.

I work at The Al'Kabor Project which is a PoP era emu that the EQMac community plays on. (we also support a PC client) We're still in Velious and will launch Luclin in a few months. However I have all raid bosses up through an including PoP already parsed, because I didn't want to have the most significant raid content unparsed in the event of a shutdown. I also have video of events (like the Bertox event) so they can be recreated with precision even if EQ shuts down.

I also wrote a data collection guide awhile back so people could get up to speed quickly and start contributing if they were so inclined: Data Collection - The Al'Kabor Project Wiki

This Daybreak news is certainly going to affect what data I collect now. 2 days ago I was freting over 10 resist value on common NPCs in non-raid zones. Now I'll have to shift priorities. If anybody wants to help out, it doesn't require a lot of technical ability-- just a tolerance for tedium.

• 17Like
Reactions: 16 users

Denaut

Trump's Staff

Of course they don't, why should they? If the company collapses hard enough for the plug to be abruptly pulled then no one is being paid to care.