SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Melvin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also, wasn't his position at IGE under his time Goldman Sachs? i seem to remember either he pitched IGE to Sachs or actually secured some investment from investors at Goldman Sachs. Bannon was one of the early adopters of virtual currency and believed it was the future at one point from an investment standpoint. He saw the rising entitlements + unemployment, virtual currency was heating up!

At the very least I think Goldman Sachs was involved directly or indirectly with IGE and Bannon in some way.

Don't care to research all the details or timelime at the moment.

I'm going from memory here, so I'm going to paint with a broad brush stroke. Bannon's entry into IGE was mostly a shit show of epic proportions. At the time Bannon was working at Goldman Sachs and convinced them to invest something stupid like $50 million into IGE, which caught Blizzards lawyers attention and IGE got BTFO bigly. Bannon stuck around and slum lorded over the eviscerated scrap heap that used to be IGE.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Unless DBG is in its death spiral, EQ and EQ2 IP won't be sold off. They're profitable. When I left, H1Z1 was making A LOT of money, as was DCUO, so to see them gut the H1Z1 team is very surprising. They've cut almost all of their community people, HR people, and others. Truthfully, when I saw that Laura Naveiux Sturr had left, I knew it was big. She's been riding that money train for too long anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Unless DBG is in its death spiral, EQ and EQ2 IP won't be sold off. They're profitable. When I left, H1Z1 was making A LOT of money, as was DCUO, so to see them gut the H1Z1 team is very surprising.
H1Z1 is down to ~8k concurrent players at this point. They did another SOE-Brand "Combat Revamp" at the same time as "new hotness" PUBG/Fortnite stuff was coming up, so it was really easy for people to say "fuck this game" and transition to a different one. Like, if it weren't for the timing, I wouldn't be surprised at all by the H1Z1 staff cuts.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
yup pubg and fortnight saw what h1z1 was doing and did it better/more polished and drank the money up from h1z1

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
H1Z1 is down to ~8k concurrent players at this point. They did another SOE-Brand "Combat Revamp" at the same time as "new hotness" PUBG/Fortnite stuff was coming up, so it was really easy for people to say "fuck this game" and transition to a different one. Like, if it weren't for the timing, I wouldn't be surprised at all by the H1Z1 staff cuts.

Wow.. H1Z1 was rockin when I left.. Talk about a train coming off the tracks..

I've been playing a lot of Fortnite myself.. It's a blast both PVE and Battle Royale.. PUBG is a bit more gritty but both are well done games.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
Weeeeeeeeew lad. Acquisition by a group of people you shit canned years ago? God bless this story.

The gaming industry is nothing if not incesteous. That is why you sort of have to keep laying nice even after you get laid off because the wheel of employment in the industry moves fast and there is a good chance you are going to work with a lot of those people again.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

I've been playing a lot of Fortnite myself.. It's a blast both PVE and Battle Royale.. PUBG is a bit more gritty but both are well done games.

It is kinda daybreak/SOE's thing make some pretty solid new idea and then implement it in a kludgy janky sort of way. Then somebody will come along say thats a great idea and make their own version polish the shit out of it and then eat daybreaks lunch money.

• 1Solidarity

Eonan

Doer of Things
It is kinda daybreak/SOE's thing make some pretty solid new idea and then implement it in a kludgy janky sort of way. Then somebody will come along say thats a great idea and make their own version polish the shit out of it and then eat daybreaks lunch money.
That is a pretty good characterization of the H1Z1 vs PUBG debacle. H1Z1 king of the kill was super fun, but clunky. PUBG comes along and is damn near the same game, in additon to also being very clunky, but itterates at a much faster pace than DBG does and as a result, kills any chance H1Z1 had of succeeding against it.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
038.jpg

• 1Worf

Endymion

Trakanon Raider

When you left is forever ago at the rate the industry moves though. XD

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Don't worry H1Z1's just announced "pro league" will save it by throwing money at major streamers who couldn't give a fuck.