SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Holly was the one who actually floated the idea of working WITH the P99 people.. You can talk shit all you want, but I worked with her for 8 years.. She was a solid designer on EQ, and the best producer I worked for in my time there. She gives a shit, and works hard.

• 11Like
Reactions: 10 users

Eonan

Doer of Things
Holly was the one who actually floated the idea of working WITH the P99 people.. You can talk shit all you want, but I worked with her for 8 years.. She was a solid designer on EQ, and the best producer I worked for in my time there. She gives a shit, and works hard.
Pure hypothetical here: What do you think the Interpid team could do with the EQ IP or EQ:N assets (if they even still exist) if the "rumors" of DB's sale turned out to be true?

Caveat - I'm not certain I see any benefit to them actually buying DBG, unless it's actually being firesale'd.

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pure hypothetical here: What do you think the Interpid team could do with the EQ IP or EQ:N assets (if they even still exist) if the "rumors" of DB's sale turned out to be true?

Caveat - I'm not certain I see any benefit to them actually buying DBG, unless it's actually being firesale'd.

If ANYONE were to acquire the IP from EQ, especially Intrepid, they could brand their new creations around the long lived Everquest name.

It'd be likely that a title such as "Ashes of Creation" would be Rebranded as a new Everquest title.

I know tons of old school MMO players who are excited for AoC/Pantheon, and if they simply recreated Norrath in a new light (Not EQ2 that shit was cancerous) they would instantly have an old school playerbase who's loyal to the EQ name. (Us fucking nerds who spend 40 hours a week killing pixels that have existed for 20 years.)

I'd definitely love for Intrepid/Visionary to acquire the IP.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I have 5 KR stashed away. Should I sell now or wait until they hit $1,000 on the black market?

This can be my legacy to my children.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
So if I used to sell to IGE say in the neighborhood of $20k in 2004-2006. What kind of trouble is this going to cause me lulz?

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
No matter the outcome, it's pretty clear this is a lose lose situation all around for Daybreak Games. Regardless if they had any connection with Columbus Nova or not because of their failed attempts to cover everything up, their reputation will be destroyed more than it already was.

If you search around Russian Headlines, you can find articles dating back as early as January 2018 saying that Russian Oligarch's were trying to sell off large portions of their US assets before the beginning of 2018 in fear of upcoming sanctions with the US. So they obviously new this was coming and it didn't happen out of no where. I think it's very likely that Epstein was able to acquire full or majority ownership of DBG by the end of 2017 or beginning of 2018, and they are now trying to cover their tracks as if Columbus Nova had never owned it in the first place.

One question I can't seem to find an answer to though, is if DBG is in fact majority owned by Columbus Nova and are effected by the sanctions, can they even legally sell DBG or any of the titles such as EQ? The deadline for US based companies was April 6th when the sanctions were announced. The June 5th deadline only applies to international companies. The sanctions prevent them from making any transfer of assets and any transactions using US currency until the sanctions are lifted or expire. So does that mean DBG assets would be frozen until that time?

Side note, I didn't even know about this promotion but I thought this comment on one of the articles was pretty funny.

"A recent (3/16/18 – 3/22/18) promotion Daybreak had for the 19th anniversary of EverQuest was a 30% discount on packs of Kronos. This was advertised for both EverQuest and EverQuest2 and encouraged players not only to buy multiple Kronos (in packs of 5, 10 and 25) but also to consume them before the end of the month in order to get limited availability in-game items. This was more so a temptation for EQ2 players since you could get a fabled familiar which could be used to level your favorite familiar (a recent feature addition). For potential buyers of Daybreak this should be a major warning sign. Either revenue numbers for first quarter of 2018 will be greatly inflated and/or you’ll be buying game titles that have a higher than normal number of players that won’t be paying for subscriptions for 6 months, 12 months or longer since they are pre-paid."

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
"A recent (3/16/18 – 3/22/18) promotion Daybreak had for the 19th anniversary of EverQuest was a 30% discount on packs of Kronos. This was advertised for both EverQuest and EverQuest2 and encouraged players not only to buy multiple Kronos (in packs of 5, 10 and 25) but also to consume them before the end of the month in order to get limited availability in-game items. This was more so a temptation for EQ2 players since you could get a fabled familiar which could be used to level your favorite familiar (a recent feature addition). For potential buyers of Daybreak this should be a major warning sign. Either revenue numbers for first quarter of 2018 will be greatly inflated and/or you’ll be buying game titles that have a higher than normal number of players that won’t be paying for subscriptions for 6 months, 12 months or longer since they are pre-paid."

images

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lumi

Vyemm Raider

Just out of curiosity, what have you actually done for EQ that drew the attention of P99/DBG's? I know you've worked on some sort of EQ browser integration or something like that but isn't this just vaporware?

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Just out of curiosity, what have you actually done for EQ that drew the attention of P99/DBG's? I know you've worked on some sort of EQ browser integration or something like that but isn't this just vaporware?

Well yah, I made this cool as fuck thing that I never really finished.

But mainly because I spammed the shit out of their forums and ingame. Pissed off them enough to bitch to rogaine, and then they started striking a deal.

So more indirectly I attributed to the agreement by being annoying.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
No idea whether this is legit but was purportedly posted by a dev who was recently laid off: