SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm sure it'll be golden.

And before I get the "You wouldn't have done any better than Smed comment" from some jackass; with respect to EQNext (if nothing else), let me preemptively reply that, yes, I would have done better than Smed, as would a couple of others on this forum or on fohguild.

EQIII would have been a small smash if was basically EQ/WoW with better graphics, but with dynamic or semi-dynamic mobs and interactive terrain (far, far different from destructible terrain) - think Prince of Persia ability for Rogues to actually, you know, climb walls or WTF - DCUO had this a bit with the acrobatic guys. No Rocket Science involved: just understanding the limits of technology and your budget and using tech and designs that already existed and understanding your market. All of which was discussed ad nauseam post-Vanguard on fohguild and here as well, and leading up to the EQN reveal.

Smed was and is a bandwagon jumper: he jumped on the super-graphics bandwagon (EQII), Freemium bandwagon (Everything), and EQNext was jumping on the "it's-like-Minecraft" bandwagon and the "gotta let the kids be everything" bandwagon.
I really liked what I heard about this game. It was very much eq3. it's crazy how they went from thinking eq2 had too many classes to an eq type class system to what exist with EQN. What a ping pong game that must have been in someone's mind.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I had a few characters in various iterations of the game (Sojourn, the Duris split, the TorilMUD era, etc). A bard, Lyrith, was my primary.

Played several other MUDs as well, including Faerun MUD which was far superior in implementation and used a pretty remarkable Circle-derived codebase that was modeled on AD&D 2nd Edition. Generally speaking, I preferred the LPs to the DIKU-derivatives. DarkeMUD and Xyllomer were both phenomenal in their heydays.
Motherfucker, I think I remember that Bard's name.

I played a lot of full loot pvp games back then too, mostly on the Emlen Code based (Mid Point Void, Lands of Chaos, Rites of Passage etc.) as Xrin.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Yeah you're probably right. AOL was a startup company and Sierra had no experience making games.
He would be looking for answers such as Ultima Online, Meridian 59, and The Realm. All of which were dedicated online games which released before EQ did on a scale from an infrastructure perspective.

Either way, AOL NWN would be an example albeit less resource hungry as a Gold box.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
You guys are OLD AS FUCK.
Looks like Symbelmyne outreached his guesses on the population and expertise of this forum. Oops. You mean these guys aren't clueless twits that visit the SOE general and I can mislead them with whatever I say?

Also, Symbel, quit naming yourself after a flower out of the original Lord of the Rings books.

Flc_sl

shitlord
Motherfucker, I think I remember that Bard's name.

I played a lot of full loot pvp games back then too, mostly on the Emlen Code based (Mid Point Void, Lands of Chaos, Rites of Passage etc.) as Xrin.
That healing song was OP as fuck. I used to just sit back and sing it while a party full of warriors and swashbucklers and conjurers just blew shit up.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Payment method is secondary to the game itself. Long before F2P became popular, almost every MMO coming out was garbage. It's just a shit genre.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Had to google Horizons to see when that closed down since I forgot about it. It's still ticking lol. Horizons>Vanguard.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Payment method is secondary to the game itself. Long before F2P became popular, almost every MMO coming out was garbage. It's just a shit genre.
LOTRO was good for couple of months until quest burnout, Vanguard was decent albeit if, and only if, you could put up with bugs, which I could. And I thoroughly enjoyed my first month of DCUO. And while I didn't care for Rift, many people did. <- all before FTP became the rage, and all worthless after FTP IMHO (I'm aware of the love that some have for the FTP DCUO, so YMMV).

I can't think of a decent game - playable even for a month - after FTP became the rage.

symbelmyne_sl

shitlord
Looks like Symbelmyne outreached his guesses on the population and expertise of this forum. Oops. You mean these guys aren't clueless twits that visit the SOE general and I can mislead them with whatever I say?

Also, Symbel, quit naming yourself after a flower out of the original Lord of the Rings books.
different spelling. and i've been on this board(s) longer than you guess.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
LOTRO was good for couple of months until quest burnout, Vanguard was decent albeit if, and only if, you could put up with bugs, which I could. And I thoroughly enjoyed my first month of DCUO. And while I didn't care for Rift, many people did. <- all before FTP became the rage, and all worthless after FTP IMHO (I'm aware of the love that some have for the FTP DCUO, so YMMV).

I can't think of a decent game - playable even for a month - after FTP became the rage.
Revenues went up 5x for DCUO after it went F2P. But of course, they started cranking out much more content at the same time, so who knows?

Oldbased

> Than U
I still remember NWN on AOL that I put literally thousands of dollars into back in the 3.95 a hour dialup internet days.
Back then I was Bassy and eventually WoH Bassy and COG Bassy from the Warrior of Hades, and Council of Grey.
Still remember when I think it was Ldy Death died of cancer I think it was.
Oh those hit the gate emotes.