SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
different spelling. and i've been on this board(s) longer than you guess.
Very Doubtful.

You have a thing with longevity and the internet don't you.

Let's really stir this up. With some trivia.

1) The three connection protocol standards for 14.4k were _____________ Which later formed an external modem made by this company_____________ which retailed for $899.
2) Plane of Hate was very hard to develop because of what barrier? A native bug to the engine which was never fixed.
3) This 8-bit sound card was first introduced before the SoundBlaster. Name the card.
4) This BBS program, programmed by some idiot out in California, was the engine of which a lot of emulators surfaced in various programs based of said BBS program. Name the prototype.

In your world, if you answer all four of these correctly, you will be able to confirm your existence - otherwise you aren't old enough to exist yet.

Bonus question - The Command "/become" was used to force a default art template of an NPC in Everquest to transform a player character into that NPC - which was lost upon zoning. Which command adjusted the size of the character after transformation?

bwuceli_sl

shitlord
Very Doubtful.

You have a thing with longevity and the internet don't you.

Let's really stir this up. With some trivia.

1) The three connection protocol standards for 14.4k were _____________ Which later formed an external modem made by this company_____________ which retailed for $899.
2) Plane of Hate was very hard to develop because of what barrier? A native bug to the engine which was never fixed.
3) This 8-bit sound card was first introduced before the SoundBlaster. Name the card.
4) This BBS program, programmed by some idiot out in California, was the engine of which a lot of emulators surfaced in various programs based of said BBS program. Name the prototype.

In your world, if you answer all four of these correctly, you will be able to confirm your existence - otherwise you aren't old enough to exist yet.

Bonus question - The Command "/become" was used to force a default art template of an NPC in Everquest to transform a player character into that NPC - which was lost upon zoning. Which command adjusted the size of the character after transformation?
Wtf? I think the answer to all of those questions is "Ron Jeremy".

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
We absolutely made sure that taking care of our employees was the highest priority and this deal was by far and away the one that took care of people the best.
Lol

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
I can't think of a decent game - playable even for a month - after FTP became the rage.
What I've personally found is quite a few MMO's are really fun if you go in with the mind set that you're going to quit after two weeks. I'd recommend giving it a shot honestly. It's been working for me. Even the shitty Korean grind fests are okay because you tend to be just about the point of quitting when that paywall settles in.

It's made me significantly less bitter towards shitty design decisions and so forth. Even crappy immersion shattering things like having to buy backpack slots with cash.

I should start a MMO of the month club. I'll put the name of every game in a hat and pull one at random. Next month we play....Archlord 2! I'm sure we'll get at least 2 days worth of content...right guys? Guys?!?

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I should start a MMO of the month club. I'll put the name of every game in a hat and pull one at random. Next month we play....Archlord 2! I'm sure we'll get at least 2 days worth of content...right guys? Guys?!?
SOE was visionary, this is the true form of the All Access Pass.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
And Mr. John Smedley shows again exactly how he ran SOE into the ground: by being really, really unprofessional.
On another thread on the SA forums it looks like they rented out a bar to get everyone hammered after they gave them their box
smile.png

Hopefully Smedley let people know ahead of time.

Fired in a parking lot, or a bar. For management, it should have been the parking lot and give the drinks to the non asshats.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
What I've personally found is quite a few girls are really fun if you go in with the mind set that you're going to dump them after two weeks.
With minor modifications the analogy still works.

I'm sorry buddy, but Le Petit Prince spoiled roses, girls and MMOs for me.
rrr_img_90388.jpg

tad10

Elisha Dushku
On another thread on the SA forums it looks like they rented out a bar to get everyone hammered after they gave them their box
smile.png

Hopefully Smedley let people know ahead of time.

Fired in a parking lot, or a bar. For management, it should have been the parking lot and give the drinks to the non asshats.
Has Smedley said his bit about how terrible it is that he had to let all the awesome people go.

Smedley CEO: Buy drinks for people who got fired because he ran the Company aground.

Good CEO: Run the Company well, so people don't have to get fired and can buy their own drinks.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
There were actually three companies (beginning with U, H and T) competing and the actual first implementation was at 9600 bps before the ITU standardized V.32 - 14.4k was V.32bis. Of course only one dominated the market because the warez scene converged on them.

We had sound much earlier in the form of the PCjr/Tandy 1000 3 voice sound and the MPU-401 cards (which basically was MIDI I/O that drove the later MT-32 modules), but games for PC weren't a thing back then and no one knew these things existed. And then there was the Covox plug for the printer port - which sounded horrible and ... oh shit, now I feel old.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Utnaya's quiz takes about 10 minutes to solve if you're good at your bing-fu. I have a shitty memory but I'm a damn good technician.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
There were actually three companies (beginning with U, H and T) competing and the actual first implementation was at 9600 bps before the ITU standardized V.32 - 14.4k was V.32bis. Of course only one dominated the market because the warez scene converged on them.
Nice work! You forgot one. HST.

So HST, v.32, v.32bis. USR came out with the External dual standard (Even though where were technically 3 standards)

We had sound much earlier in the form of the PCjr/Tandy 1000 3 voice sound and the MPU-401 cards (which basically was MIDI I/O that drove the later MT-32 modules), but games for PC weren't a thing back then and no one knew these things existed. And then there was the Covox plug for the printer port - which sounded horrible and ... oh shit, now I feel old.
Trick question! 8-bit sound card before the soundblaster. The answer I was looking for was Adlib. Were the Rolands the 401s? I never had a Roland. But I knew they cost a shit ton.

Tandy's! Awesome.

How about a Magnovox Odyssey?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
What the hell did I walk into?

Well I mean you can't walk into a thread, but you get what I mean.