SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Thank you for helping me blow an hour of my life. I read that article, and then started reading related articles. And then I discussed with my wife about how happy I was that I never took that offer from a dev to be on their MMO team. It looked like a dream job at the time, but how many guys have they had in that position since the offer? 3 or 4.

I'll stick with old economy. I worked for a manufacturer for 12 years and have owned my own business for seven now. I tend to stick to one thing for a long time. The prospect of losing your job upon delivery of product doesn't sound interesting to me.

Armchair Dev is one thing, but who wants to live that life? It's not worth it for only 84k a year. I was making that five years out of college.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Matt Higby posted 20 minutes ago on the ps2 subreddit that he is stepping down as creative director of PS2 and leaving Daybreak of his own accord.
Bye bye Planetside 2, bye bye.

Someone pick up Higby and let me know where he lands. I'll buy his games.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Also I just realized I own all of the Daybreak Reddit accounts for the people who got fired. I wonder if the reason they got laid off was because they could not secure the proper Reddit account.

I'm a monster!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Also I just realized I own all of the Daybreak Reddit accounts for the people who got fired. I wonder if the reason they got laid off was because they could not secure the proper Reddit account.

I'm a monster!
Tiggle invested his life savings into BetaMAX.

Didn't see this posted from yesterday.
Quick Update! - 02/12/2015

Hello Landmarkians!

As most of you have heard by now, there have been some staff changes in the EverQuest Next and Landmark teams this week.While we've known that changes were coming for a little while now, we weren't able to discuss them until the details were finalized. I wanted to apologize for any anxiety this may have caused, but for the sake of everyone involved, it was simply the right way to handle it.While we don't have all of the details of how this is going to affect our schedules, timetables or the Blueprint yet, we wanted to make sure you know we're still here, we're still listening to all your great feedback and we're working to get you those answers just as soon as we can!

EverQuest Next and Landmark are games that involve lots of *very* large plans, soplease bear with us as we take the time to review and reorganize the schedules. As soon as we have something we feel comfortable with, we'll be updating the entire team - which still includes all of you, of course - with our new plans and with details about how things will be rolling out in the near future.

We skipped Landmark Live this week, but we'll be back on Tuesday, Feb 17 at 10:00am PST to talk about the hotfix we'll be doing (hopefully) that afternoon and the following update information. Keep your eyes on the Landmark Live forum for any updates or changes.

We'll also be doing the Workshop Show next week, so join us on Thursday, Feb 19 at 11:00am PST where Rosie and company will be talking more about Qeynos and a ton of the things players have been building in that particular style.

Also, the entire team is thankful for all the warm thoughts and best wishes. The outpouring from the community has been amazing and is proof that we're not just a game company with a great community, we're a family.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I still want ps2 to actually launch on the ps4. I have a ton of destiny / bf4 friends on the console who haven't tried it yet. Wonder how much Higby leaving will effect their future. I'm not familiar enough with their team to know if anyone can step up to fill his shoes and I doubt they'd hire anyone fast.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I still want ps2 to actually launch on the ps4. I have a ton of destiny / bf4 friends on the console who haven't tried it yet. Wonder how much Higby leaving will effect their future. I'm not familiar enough with their team to know if anyone can step up to fill his shoes and I doubt they'd hire anyone fast.
If they just release what they have for PC, it will be plenty to sink your teeth into on PS4. Game is pretty well fleshed out now, 4 continents, continent locks, plenty of vehicles, plenty of weapons, quests to open up more weapons...etc...

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A lot of people loved Higby and thought he was the life blood of PS2 while others thought he was a reason for some poor decision making and that the game can be better with him gone. I haven't followed PS2 development enough to really give an informed opinion. I'd like to hope that that Columbus Nova is reorganizing to create what could be a company that will be successful long term but I'm not going to be surprised if all former SOE holdings are gutted and IP's sold off piecemeal in a couple years. Just have to wait and see.

roger_sl

shitlord
I'm still wondering why higby made his goodbye post on reddit, are they scared to post on their own dedicated official forums or what, good thing we have radarx who is active, but he's not a dev like higby or Tray.
I hope ps2 stays alive.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
PS2 will stay alive. If its sold off at some point or whatever, remains to be seen, but it still has a pretty strong following which will only become bigger if they finally release on PS4 and maybe xbone in time. I hear the PS4 beta runs smooth although still lacking in all the features.

Vitality

HUSTLE
A lot of people loved Higby and thought he was the life blood of PS2 while others thought he was a reason for some poor decision making and that the game can be better with him gone. I haven't followed PS2 development enough to really give an informed opinion. I'd like to hope that that Columbus Nova is reorganizing to create what could be a company that will be successful long term but I'm not going to be surprised if all former SOE holdings are gutted and IP's sold off piecemeal in a couple years. Just have to wait and see.
The reason people liked higby was because he was actually pretty good at the game and he played a lot. Streamed a lot, and joined other noname streams on mumble/skype. I got in some one on one fights at a biolab a couple times with him.

He made some questionable decisions in regards to weapon and vehicle balance. But that's some minor shit compared to the hand he got dealt by smedley as far as staff and resources. Not only were his staff a pretty big problem but the tech he was handed to get the game setup was pretty expiremntal for SOE to say the least (Forgelight).

A whole lot of kinks got worked out by higby with the deuce jack unsuited smed handed him.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
From what I hear PS2 was constructed in like 18 months, so yeah, pretty impressive work if its true.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I hope it gets released on the PS4 as well because from what I hear from people on the beta for it its playing really well on the PS4 and the controls work pretty well for it.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I'm pretty sure the release on PS4 is a primary concern with new ownership. Expanding market and revenue streams with product already in beta is just smart business. I'm sure that future expansion of EQ and EQ2 are be very limited as they try to push forward with newer potentially more profitable games. PS2, H1Z1, look like no-brainers. It will be interesting to see how EQN/EQL move forward.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm still wondering why higby made his goodbye post on reddit, are they scared to post on their own dedicated official forums or what, good thing we have radarx who is active, but he's not a dev like higby or Tray.
I hope ps2 stays alive.
That's just how planetside 2 has always worked ignore the official forums and have devs post on reddit.