SOE Becomes Daybreak / Russian shutdown

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
hmmm I don't see EQ getting a "last" expansion (at least I think they would be smart and release a expansion before they liquidated the IP, which is a possibility.)but competing vs Pantheon ? rofl

Id release an expansion a month before i fired everyone in the parking lot too.

Thatd be funny to me

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Id release an expansion a month before i fired everyone in the parking lot too.

Thatd be funny to me

The rate there goin, that's probably gonna happen I don't see them staying afloat for very long...(unless expansions actually pull the numbers they need to stay alive, I honestly don't know I haven't played, sense the big SoE hack and they gave everyone 3months free.) But unless they are actually working on something from the left overs of EQ:Next ... mehhh I just don't see them staying around much longer.

tyen

<Banned>
EQ is just in a nursing home wasting its life away.

Need Saul Goodman to free EQ from oppressive Russians

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Last I checked profitable games weren't a waste of anything.

lets not pretend the current state of EQ is anywhere near optimal use of the IP

before EQ2 went live i predicted it would split the EQ audience, and that EQ2 wouldn't be popular as a sequel, since its not a game that targets the same audience

its like coca cola announcing "the new and fresh taste" version of cola, and it being a rootbased beverage without sugar but with high omega3 content

i understand putting it that way makes the games industry seem like a bunch of retards, and thats pretty much the case, so i hope this helps

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
rolling my eyes at EQ prophets o_Oo_O

$40,000,000+ gross revenue in 2015 with the team size we had resulted in still a very nice profit margin. If you can roll your eyes at that kind of money, then what the fuck are you doing here?

• 8Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 9 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
$40,000,000+ gross revenue in 2015 with the team size we had resulted in still a very nice profit margin. If you can roll your eyes at that kind of money, then what the fuck are you doing here?

Salty is donkey rich. You can't put a dollar value on that.

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

basically you guys wrecked a supercar, and you are bragging the wreck still brought in 5k

am sure the franchise has a bright future ahead

• 3Picard
  • 1Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 4 users

Old Man Potter

Golden Knight of the Realm
I don't think it's fair to blame Elidroth and the devs for the current pitiful state of EverQuest. I believe he's one of the good guys.

John Smedley is where the blame should be squarely directed. It was he that mismanaged and bungled a potentially great IP and MMORPG franchise. It was Smedley that chased after every silly video game trend. He hired the managers that hired the devs that slowly destroyed EQ. He hired Dave Georgeson and Jeff Butler to run EQ Next which was a disaster of epic proportions that to this day is odious and appalling blemish on the MMO industry that will never be erased.

Over the years, SOE has some of the most inept and incompetent designers to walk the earth working on EverQuest and imbeciles like Absor are still working there if you can believe it. These people are untalented con artists who somehow managed to keep their jobs year after year. Every company has worthless people that are there not because of merit or talent but because they know play the office politics game. SOE is a prime example of the Peter Principle at work where people are promoted to the level of their incompetence. You can start off as a janitor at SOE and someday you may end up being the Creative Director.

Blizzard created a studio culture of excellence and a AAA+ quality MMORPG that should have inspired Smedley and SOE to do better and to fully realize the potential of the EverQuest IP. The roadmap was there right in front of them. But, instead they knew better and EQ and EQ2 faded into relative obscurity. It was Smedley's arrogance and stupidity that was their downfall. But Smedley was too busy with politically correct side projects like trying to get more females in the industry to care. The problem is he is still a player with Amazon. People won't publicly trash him because the MMO dev world is very small and someday they may have to go hat in hand back to him looking for a job.

A fish rots from the head down. Smedley was the head of SOE. The buck stops with him. Sony the parent company of SOE should have fired him years ago. But this is the Japanese way. The Japanese rarely fire people. Incompetence is rewarded.

EverQuest holds a special place in the hearts of hundreds of thousands of dedicated fans. Their love for the franchise was never properly reciprocated by Smedley and SOE. It just breaks my heart to see how the franchise has been so utterly mismanaged and disrespected over the years. The current EQ devs are a disgrace. It's quite obvious that they really don't care about their MMO and even more obvious they don't even play it. Nothing would make me happier than to see Intrepid Studios and Steve Shariff purchase the EQ IP and give it the respect it deserves in a new incarnation.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Brikker

Trump's Staff

is that EQ1 only or DBG in total?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Well, you can work out some quick numbers with uninformed assumptions pretty quickly -

100k accounts (completely baseless assumption) at $15/mth for 12 months is $18 mil.
Expac ($35) for 100k accounts is $3.5 mil.

It's not unimaginable that the rest of the revenue could come from microtransactions, but it seems unlikely to me. I'd say the $40 mil number is the product of some creative accounting with the all access pass.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
John Smedley is the sole reason P99 exists legally. I don't have anything bad to say about him; sure he might have crazy and wild ideas, but that's how EverQuest was created and arguably set the groundwork for industry behemoths. Do you think WoW would've existed without something to measure success to investors with? He was a risk taker just as much as he was a trend follower.

$40,000,000 gross is nothing to scoff at, if it was only EverQuest I would definitely be surprised considering games the size of EverQuest's playerbase do not pull in that much money. EQ2 only had around 8800 characters logging in when Census launched, and assuming that's indicative of active accounts (it's not)... it would indicate an ARPU of about $4705/yr, which is unreasonable for a product of that size. Unless you neckbeards are seriously spending that much on Krono, in that case, maybe it's time to pay rent?

• 1Like

ilmarz

Trakanon Raider
eq1 is probably doing better than eq2 (no actual idea, talking shit). the team & climate has always seemed way healthier, from parsing the forums.

* never played eq1, played eq2 for far too long.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I don't think it's fair to blame Elidroth and the devs for the current pitiful state of EverQuest. I believe he's one of the good guys.

John Smedley is where the blame should be squarely directed. It was he that mismanaged and bungled a potentially great IP and MMORPG franchise. It was Smedley that chased after every silly video game trend. He hired the managers that hired the devs that slowly destroyed EQ. He hired Dave Georgeson and Jeff Butler to run EQ Next which was a disaster of epic proportions that to this day is odious and appalling blemish on the MMO industry that will never be erased.

Over the years, SOE has some of the most inept and incompetent designers to walk the earth working on EverQuest and imbeciles like Absor are still working there if you can believe it. These people are untalented con artists who somehow managed to keep their jobs year after year. Every company has worthless people that are there not because of merit or talent but because they know play the office politics game. SOE is a prime example of the Peter Principle at work where people are promoted to the level of their incompetence. You can start off as a janitor at SOE and someday you may end up being the Creative Director.

Blizzard created a studio culture of excellence and a AAA+ quality MMORPG that should have inspired Smedley and SOE to do better and to fully realize the potential of the EverQuest IP. The roadmap was there right in front of them. But, instead they knew better and EQ and EQ2 faded into relative obscurity. It was Smedley's arrogance and stupidity that was their downfall. But Smedley was too busy with politically correct side projects like trying to get more females in the industry to care. The problem is he is still a player with Amazon. People won't publicly trash him because the MMO dev world is very small and someday they may have to go hat in hand back to him looking for a job.

A fish rots from the head down. Smedley was the head of SOE. The buck stops with him. Sony the parent company of SOE should have fired him years ago. But this is the Japanese way. The Japanese rarely fire people. Incompetence is rewarded.

EverQuest holds a special place in the hearts of hundreds of thousands of dedicated fans. Their love for the franchise was never properly reciprocated by Smedley and SOE. It just breaks my heart to see how the franchise has been so utterly mismanaged and disrespected over the years. The current EQ devs are a disgrace. It's quite obvious that they really don't care about their MMO and even more obvious they don't even play it. Nothing would make me happier than to see Intrepid Studios and Steve Shariff purchase the EQ IP and give it the respect it deserves in a new incarnation.

I remember meeting Absor at the Seattle Fan Faire, and always wondered after talking with him, how the hell did he keeps his job... (I think this was around the time, PoP/Luclin/Velious(Or was it actually Kurnark) was announced, I don't remember I was drunk for 90% of it)

Last edited:

tyen

<Banned>
Kronos making 10mill/mo, thats for reals tho. Russians love their clean money

tyen

<Banned>
Hey nerds.

Come up with gameplay and ill build it. i have access to the full unity source code of this project. Point cloud maps will pretty much be fucking huge and its insane that these two vids have almost no views.

In one year this company will be acquired by a huge name, guarenteed.

• 1Picard