Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018)

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Based on the reactions of Lucas and Hamill towards the Disney bullshit, we can infer that the Disney stories were, at the very least, large departures from what Lucas had planned. Having a female protagonist is hardly leveraging Lucas' original story.

“What I wish is that they had been more accepting of his guidance and advice. Because he had an outline for ‘7,’ ‘8,’ and ‘9’. And it is vastly different to what they have done.” - Mark Hamill

I never said they followed his outlines closely merely that Lucas's own assertion that they just shitcanned all of his ideas isn't accurate on his part. And in isolation I would agree with you that having a female protagonist isn't leveraging Lucas's story but if you're compiling a list of similarities it belongs. The kid that goes evil was also someone's son (Luke's or Leia's, I don't know), incidentally. So Lucas's treatment created the potential for some of the same dynamics we have seen between Kylo and Rey. That's why it's significant.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
She's fine in GOT because the style is stilted and almost old-school theatrical. Just watch her deliver her first lines of dialogue in Terminator to see her acting "chops". She's objectively terrible

There's very little about Genisys that isn't terrible and I won't judge anyone by their performance in it. I consider Matt Smith to be a pretty decent actor but if I was judging him solely by his Genisys performance I'd never want to see him in anything ever again. I'm not claiming she's a good actor, I'm saying she hasn't been in enough stuff to really make a strong judgement either way. Hell I'm not even willing to call Sophie Turner a bad actress yet because she has portrayed a timid moron in GoT perfectly for years, and her portrayal of Jean Grey in XMen Apocalypse was really not any worse than how bad the rest of the film was. Even Fassbender looked bad.

@keg the futurama thing was a joke

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Clarke is by far the worst part of GoT so she will most likely suck but who cares? This pile of trash is guaranteed to turn Han into a limp wristed faggot and it will be horrible garbage. Fuck this shit.

• 4Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The ONLY good thing the dragon lady did in her life, was showing her tits.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

Well based on the leaked LEGO images that are starting to show up (which means they're probably not gonna be pushing this out to December since they would have also pulled back on the cross promotional stuff, though a delay to late summer/early fall is still in the cards I suppose) it looks like there will be at least one The Clone Wars tie in:

latest

The Pyke Syndicate. Which makes sense. They're the cartel that controlled the distribution of spice from Kessel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Clarke is by far the worst part of GoT so she will most likely suck but who cares? This pile of trash is guaranteed to turn Han into a limp wristed faggot and it will be horrible garbage. Fuck this shit.

Not sure how much shitting would go on until they formally announcing they're even making it. The Fett movie is probably more likely at this point. The already had a rollout video presentation made for it to show a couple of years ago that ended up sitting on the shelf after they fired Josh Trank.

I just don't see how you squeeze a "ya momma bitch" joke into a Fett movie. So it's less likely now than ever.

Especially if Solo bombs, which it will because the actor has no charisma. This guy isn't Chris Pratt or even Chris Pine. He can't carry a bad movie like these other A listers can. They got lucky with the TFA cast.

This Solo cast is something you'd see in the dollar DVD bin. Woody "Just Cut Me A Check And I'll play the same guy I played in 1999" Harrelson. Emelia Clarke also lacking charisma has been a chief complaint, her acting aside-- Scarjo she is not.

• 1Like

Royal

Did I post that loud enough from the Kenobi thread for you to hear it over here?

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I don't get why people bag on Emilia Clarke so hard. She has done fine in Game of Thrones considering how inconsistent and generally mediocre the writing has been in that show, especially considering that the Danaerys sections of the books are notably awful as well. I mean shit go read some of Tywin's dialogue, it's absolutely cringeworthy at times, but one only has to watch Last Action Hero to realize how incredible Charles Dance is at selling terrible writing. Not being as good as Charles Dance doesn't make you a bad actor. As for Genisys, nobody could have saved that fucking trainwreck. She was excellent in Futurama.

Jack Slater: Yes, could I speak to the drug dealer of the house, please?
Tough Asian Man: I beg your pardon?
Jack Slater: It's a beautiful day and we're out killing drug dealers. Are there any in the house?

Benedict: I understand you are interested in drug dealers.

Danny Madigan: [whispering] Jack, that's him, the henchman with the glass eye.

Jack Slater: Sir, are you a henchman?

Benedict: No, I only go as far as lackey. Anything else?

Jack Slater: Yeah, take off your sunglasses.

Benedict: Who's asking?

Jack Slater: [flashes Police badge] The tin man.

Benedict: Well, tin man, suppose you hit the bricks.

Jack Slater: No, they're the wrong color.

Benedict: Are they? Oh dear. Let's change them. Would arterial red suit you?

[points to guard dogs]

Benedict: Make no mistake, they are exceptionally well-trained.

[snaps fingers, dogs form pyramid]

Benedict: I snap my fingers again and some time tomorrow, you emerge from several canine rector. Or you and Toto can return to the land of Oz. Questions?

Jack Slater: Yeah, two of them. Why am I wasting my time with silly putz like you when I could be doing something more dangerous - like rearranging my sock drawer? Two, how exactly are you going to snap your fingers, after I rip off both of your thumbs?

[pause, Benedict reveals smiley-face eye]

Benedict: Have a nice day!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Royal

A little more info on Lord and Miller's days on Solo:

And all of that goes back to the lack of setups per day which was quietly floated out there as the real reason everything came to a head between them and Lucasfilm. Not that Ace Ventura in space business.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
A little more info on Lord and Miller's days on Solo:

And all of that goes back to the lack of setups per day which was quietly floated out there as the real reason everything came to a head between them and Lucasfilm. Not that Ace Ventura in space business.
Yeah I'm not buying this. The cost and time commitment of changing directors and reshooting half the movie is almost definitely going to exceed what it would cost them keeping Lord and Miller with them going over budget. I don't see any way this could have happened other than severely misaligned creative visions between Lord and Miller and the cucks at Disney.

Royal

Yeah I'm not buying this. The cost and time commitment of changing directors and reshooting half the movie is almost definitely going to exceed what it would cost them keeping Lord and Miller with them going over budget. I don't see any way this could have happened other than severely misaligned creative visions between Lord and Miller and the cucks at Disney.

The nebulous creative differences. You don't think Gareth Edwards had creative differences with Lucasfilm? He shot a lot of footage intended to give R1 a war documentary feel. Hardly any of it was used in the finished product. The difference in his case was, he also shot stuff that was more in line with what they were asking for. So they knew from watching the dailies that if it came down to doing a re-edit they were going to have material to work with.

In L&M's case they weren't getting that much material down on film. To the point that it became apparent that if they were going to do the same reshoots and re-edit job on Solo that they did on R1, they weren't actually going to have enough time to reshoot everything that L&M were failing to get on the first pass and still make the May release date. And it had been a long running point of dissatisfaction from Kennedy and Kasdan (who was probably going to be the shadow director when it came to the re-edit).

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The nebulous creative differences. You don't think Gareth Edwards had creative differences with Lucasfilm? He shot a lot of footage intended to give R1 a war documentary feel. Hardly any of it was used in the finished product. The difference in his case was, he also shot stuff that was more in line with what they were asking for. So they knew from watching the dailies that if it came down to doing a re-edit they were going to have material to work with.

In L&M's case they weren't getting that much material down on film. To the point that it became apparent that if they were going to do the same reshoots and re-edit job on Solo that they did on R1, they weren't actually going to have enough time to reshoot everything that L&M were failing to get on the first pass and still make the May release date. And it had been a long running point of dissatisfaction from Kennedy and Kasdan (who was probably going to be the shadow director when it came to the re-edit).
The difference is that Gaerth was willing to tuck tail and bend over and ultimately sacrifice his vision to give the suits at Disney what they wanted. Lord and Miller were not as agreeable.

Royal

The difference is that Gaerth was willing to tuck tail and bend over and ultimately sacrifice his vision to give the suits at Disney what they wanted. Lord and Miller were not as agreeable.

Edwards didn't have final edit authority. Neither did Lord and Miller. They put their creative vision up on the sacrificial alter when they took the job under those terms. It was just a question of would the producers light the fire. And they never got to the point of being able to put any sort of vision for the movie together. They didn't get called in an told the studio wasn't going to go with their cut of the movie and then got fired because they dug their heels in an refused to go with it. They were simply informed that they were being cut loose without being given the opportunity to play ball that Edwards got. Because the reason was different.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Missing that they were to stay on but had to agree to reshoots by another director-- as an ultimatum by Kennedy. Now whether this meant a reshoot Rogue One style, some ghost director reshoots, or actually bringing in another director and crediting another director on the movie-- who knows if that was made clear to them. I think it was a latter judging by Lord and Millers "fuck no" reaction. The source said not even a 1% chance they would consider that, and were then fired. It was ultimately Lord and Millers decision not to cuck out. My guess is Kennedy was offended by the "fuck no" (source basically said it was a fuck no) at this point after all of the clashes and arguments with Kasdan, and leaned her head back like "wow the defiance on these guys". That's when the hammer came down.

An additional source of contention was the lead actor. Lord and Miller made no secret they were not fans of the casting process for Solo, which was rigged and ultimately controlled by Kennedy alone, with the final selection being done by Kennedy after a casting call of I believe 2,000 individuals. Lord and Miller even went so far as to imply she wasted everyones time. This likely caused some serious beef when Kennedy and Kasdan started saying the scenes were garbage even months before they were fired. You can bet Lord and Miller threw the casting in Kennedy's face during production. This made issuing the ultimatum that much easier. Attacking her casting is personal.

Point being they were not fired for missing setups. They were offered fair terms to continue to stay on the movie. This wasn't supposed to blow up.

Last edited:

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
That entire scene makes that fucking movie.

The lead up was pretty great too

Danny Madigan: The house looked European, like maybe if you get a postcard from Italy or something. Like that one. In fact, just like that one! The bad guys are in there!

Jack Slater: You know something? I think you should be wearing this.

Danny Madigan: I don't think I've earned it yet.

Jack Slater: You don't understand. You just solved the entire case. you just revolutionized the entire history of police training. I mean all these years at the academy, studying human character, psyche of the terrorists, fingerprint analysis, all the courses that I've taken in surveillance, hostage negotiation, and criminal psychology, when all I have to do is drive around the neighborhood, point my finger at a house, and say, "the bad guys are in there!"?

Danny Madigan: You think you're funny, don't you?

Jack Slater: I know I am. I'm the famous comedian, Arnold Braunschweiger.

Jack Slater: Schwarzenegger!

Jack Slater: Gesundheit.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
You know when you have to take a shit so bad your stomach hurts, you walk funny, and literally feel like moving wrong would cause you to evacuate everything within your body...and when you finally do get to take that shit, that tremendous sense of relief, accomplishment, and dare i say pride? I mean, you literally feel so good, you almost float out of the bathroom? The reality is however, you just took a big shit.

That said, I am really looking forward to seeing this piece of shit.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Royal

A lot of people thought there'd be a trailer out for this already so baseless speculation time kids! Custom crafted for those who really didn't like TLJ, plugged the coordinates to the Disney Hate homeworld into the navicomputer, and made the jump.

Well, almost fully baseless. There's a small shred of some rumor in there but not much. Here we go ...

Disney execs of course had seen TLJ and had some inkling that at least a part of the fan base might not like it, what with the passing of yet another of the old icons. For that reason they didn't want to attach the debut trailer for Solo to the movie. Better to let some of those with an initial negative reaction have a little time to come around and not have that reaction joined to the hip of your attempt to sell them on your next offering. Nothing really lost in waiting a couple of weeks to let things shake out and see the lay of the land before tossing it out there.

Well that reaction ended up being a little more robust than they anticipated. At least louder. So now that couple of weeks will end up being a month as they decide to toss some of that TLJ money over to NBC and air the trailer during the Super Bowl.

Let's drag some of the schedule shuffling going on over at Fox into the mix. The word is starting to make the rounds in Hollywood that Solo has got problems. Problems of the "it ain't very good" variety. The slate stackers at Fox decided they'd rather have a weak Solo movie attempting to eat into Deadpool 2's second week numbers rather than watch Incredibles 2 fueled by all of the pent up demand for the sequel gobbling them up. So they slide it in front of Solo assuming that Infinity War is probably going to be heavily front loaded by all of the same sort of fans they want showing up their opening week, so they will have already seen it by then.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
A lot of people thought there'd be a trailer out for this already so baseless speculation time kids! Custom crafted for those who really didn't like TLJ, plugged the coordinates to the Disney Hate homeworld into the navicomputer, and made the jump.

Well, almost fully baseless. There's a small shred of some rumor in there but not much. Here we go ...

Disney execs of course had seen TLJ and had some inkling that at least a part of the fan base might not like it, what with the passing of yet another of the old icons. For that reason they didn't want to attach the debut trailer for Solo to the movie. Better to let some of those with an initial negative reaction have a little time to come around and not have that reaction joined to the hip of your attempt to sell them on your next offering. Nothing really lost in waiting a couple of weeks to let things shake out and see the lay of the land before tossing it out there.

Well that reaction ended up being a little more robust than they anticipated. At least louder. So now that couple of weeks will end up being a month as they decide to toss some of that TLJ money over to NBC and air the trailer during the Super Bowl.

Let's drag some of the schedule shuffling going on over at Fox into the mix. The word is starting to make the rounds in Hollywood that Solo has got problems. Problems of the "it ain't very good" variety. The slate stackers at Fox decided they'd rather have a weak Solo movie attempting to eat into Deadpool 2's second week numbers rather than watch Incredibles 2 fueled by all of the pent up demand for the sequel gobbling them up. So they slide it in front of Solo assuming that Infinity War is probably going to be heavily front loaded by all of the same sort of fans they want showing up their opening week, so they will have already seen it by then.

The Royal we need.